Author Topic: Neighborhoods: Baymeadows  (Read 14861 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Neighborhoods: Baymeadows
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:02:18 AM »
Neighborhoods: Baymeadows

Take a drive down Baymeadows Road, from Southside Boulevard to where it eventually meets with San Jose Boulevard. You'll pass through other major intersections - I-95, Philips Highway, Old Kings Road. Through a cluster of residences mixed with business parks mixed with shopping plazas and back again. Through tourist-catering restaurants and new and old hotels visitors can lie their head down in at night. But amidst the typical scenery of a road in a city with buildings and cars, pops out several eclectic store-front signs, advertising the worldly grocery food stores that sit behind them. It's in these ethnic enclaves along Baymeadows Road that Jacksonville's rich cultural diversity is revealed.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jun-neighborhoods-baymeadows

simms3

• Time has come
Re: Neighborhoods: Baymeadows
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:41:54 AM »
I have played the Baymeadows golf course.  Sad to see it in ruins now.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:43:26 AM »
Also the best boba tea I have ever had anywhere is at Aroma Corners at the corner of BAymeadows and Old Kings Rd, next to Antojito Colombian bakery and Raja Indian spices.  Highly recommend.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

danno

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »
I had a condo on the golf course for many years.  Glad we sold a couple of years before the closed the golf course.

Bativac

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:56:44 AM »
There are some great indian restaurants in this area. My office only allows us 45 minutes for lunch and with traffic, that means Wendy's, Taco Bell or Firehouse Subs.

The old golf course is in a poor state. Any other plans? Does DR Horton still own it? What else could be done with it?

duvaldude08

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »
I stay over on prince square blvd. The old golf course is a real eye sore. Im not sure is responsiable for that pond but it looks a mess. Other than that, I still love the area. Its very quiet. Lots of police lurking around at times, but if thats going to keep the area safe Im all for it. It is a very diverse area. More Indian food than you can shake a stick at. LOL
Jaguars 2.0

duvaldude08

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »
And Im glad Peyton Veto that. That development would have be TOO much for an area that is already plagued with traffic congestion. I could not imagine if that would have went through. It would have been nice, be dear God the traffic would be a complete nightmare out here
Jaguars 2.0

ben says

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:39:38 AM »
Why does Baymeadows have to be so f'ing far away from anything 'urban core'...whether I'm driving from San Marco, Riverside, Ortega, Downtown, Springfield, it's alwaaaayyys too long to get there. Love the food, love the international markets--hate the drive & location.
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

duvaldude08

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »
Why does Baymeadows have to be so f'ing far away from anything 'urban core'...whether I'm driving from San Marco, Riverside, Ortega, Downtown, Springfield, it's alwaaaayyys too long to get there. Love the food, love the international markets--hate the drive & location.

That is the same thing I was thinking. Depsite what people may think, Jacksonville is VERY diverse. Problem, everything is so spread out and hidden that many people do not even know how diverse the city really is.
Jaguars 2.0

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »
I used to live over there a few years ago. The Indian restaurants and shops were great; we used to call it Bombaymeadows. I really got used to Thum's Up Cola.

There are a lot of great restaurants there, that's certainly the best part of the area. But the traffic... man.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »
I'd be interested to know any info that anyone might have on the Grande Boulevard Mall as my research has turned up very little (my first trip to Jacksonville was in '92).  I know Jacobson's was the only anchor and held on long after the rest of the mall died (until the chain went bankrupt), that it was explicitly upscale-oriented, and that it used an off-putting "not for everybody" ad campaign when it opened, but that's about it.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:25:04 AM »

That is the same thing I was thinking. Depsite what people may think, Jacksonville is VERY diverse. Problem, everything is so spread out and hidden that many people do not even know how diverse the city really is.

Yeah, Jacksonville is VERY diverse. Hopefully as the core revitalizes we'll see that diversity reflected there in the businesses that come in.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »

Most excellent point, duvaldude08!  It would help to have a greater variety of choices concentrated in one area instead of forcing folks to drive all over the city/county for a decent dining experience.  Maybe we could have an Indian restaurant or another type of cuisine instead of the 19 sushi places that populate Riverside-Avondale (Hyperbole is my friend, dammit!)
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

cline

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:48 AM »
The Freedom Commerce Center is an environmental disaster.  Its basically built on top of Julington Creek.  There were ultimately plans to fill in the wetlands and build out the entire site, which basically streches all the way down to where Philips and I-95 meet and is almost entirely wetlands.  Thank God that hasn't happened.  The buildings there now should have never been built in the first place.

copperfiend

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:22 AM »
I remember about ten years ago there were plans to build a mall at the Freedom Commerce Center. There was even talk of a new offramp from 95 for the mall. The post-9/11 economy and the wetlands debate killed the project I believe.