Author Topic: Jacksonville Jazz Festival a Huge Success  (Read 6623 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville Jazz Festival a Huge Success
« on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:26 AM »
Jacksonville Jazz Festival a Huge Success

Sights and scenes from Downtown's 2011 Jacksonville Jazz Festival. There is no doubt that this year's Jazz Festival an unqualified success, one of several for the City, and its vivacious Special Events Office. More than that, it was also solid proof that a properly planned urban festival creates the synergy and crowds that will help breathe life back into the urban core. Check out these amazing photos, showing the densest crowds packed into downtown streets in recent years.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-jacksonville-jazz-festival-a-huge-success

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Jacksonville Jazz Festival a Huge Success
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »
A huge hit... enjoyed yesterday... my only day to attend. :) 8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

hooplady

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
Love the swirly-swoopy fabric thingies everywhere.

And as MetJax has been saying forever, the solution to the "vagrant problem" downtown is to simply outnumber them.  I presume the same hundred-odd homeless people are still in these pics somewhere, but it's irrelevant when there are several thousand other folks filling the space.

Great pictures...thanks!

Bativac

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
Had a good time out there Saturday night and then a fantastic late night snack at Kickback's. I wish the place looked like that every weekend (well, maybe with fewer people sitting in lawn chairs in the middle of Monroe St). Hooplady is right - we may have seen a couple vagrants but didn't notice them among all the other people.

Plus, it was Jacksonville, with all that live music, and no Skynyrd! It was like I was in a whole other world!

And the fountain looked FANTASTIC. My wife and the couple we were with watched it from the Main St Bridge for 10 minutes and caught it just as the middle fountain shot up. Haven't seen that in forever. It looks better than it ever did.

02roadking

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »

Springfield since 1998

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
WOW!  Almost Unbelievable

Dog Walker

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »
02, We watched you take those first two pictures.  Hope you weren't so busy with the camera that you couldn't enjoy Tiner's fantastic music.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:07 AM »
Sunday was super busy, loved seeing everyone downtown.  Using the skyway, buying from local mechants, everything was great.
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »
Hmm.  Where are the homeless and vagrants?  Were they relocated or did they just blend in with the crowd?  It seems to me one of the simple solutions for DT is to program the hell out it.  More events (in the actual core, not Metropolitan Park) on a regular basis equates to more people on the streets on a regular basis.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »
correct Stephen...I was out around 10am Saturday morning and saw some folks in Hemming Plaza playing chess, cards and the usual....by a little after noon they were largely invisible

Also keep in mind that some homeless aren't really comfortable around crowds of people...be that mental illness, fear of ridicule, etc....so once the crwods picked up, they went soemwhere else.

duvaldude08

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »
Hmm.  Where are the homeless and vagrants?  Were they relocated or did they just blend in with the crowd?  It seems to me one of the simple solutions for DT is to program the hell out it.  More events (in the actual core, not Metropolitan Park) on a regular basis equates to more people on the streets on a regular basis.

The thing about the homeless is that when there is a multitide of people, they kind of disppear into the background. Thats why the homeless are not an issue with our DT IMO. the more active DT becomes, the less you will see them.
Jaguars 2.0

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »

Makes sense to me.  I seem to recall this was one of the Godbold administration's points of emphasis too.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

floridaforester

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »
Had a great time on Sunday.  Wild Magnolias at the Hemming Stage put on a helluva show with several 2nd lines through the crowd One of which was b/c the stage nazis wouldn't let them bring people out of the crowd onto the stage. This is apparently part of their regular stage show everywhere but the band seemed aghast that event officials would be so opposed.

Landing stage was nice with the breeze coming off the river.  Beautiful setting with the river and bridges in the background. The members of the band Artofficial felt so at home (they're from Miami) that they kept referring to it as the harbor.   We kind of avoided the main stage b/c there is absolutely no shade.  Caught a portion of Herbie Hancock but was somewhat underwhelmed and caught the tail end of Guitarzz at Hemming Stage.

All in all had a great time with lots of good people watching, chamber of commerce weather and some fantastic music for FREE!  Downtown is a fantastic overall venue for this event.  Much better than Metro park.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »

Makes sense to me.  I seem to recall this was one of the Godbold administration's points of emphasis too.

Peyton was quoted as saying that too. The idea is that the more people total there are downtown, the less the homeless population stands out.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
If any of you rode the Skyway during Jazz Fest, you should make sure to email JTA good or bad experiences.