Author Topic: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?  (Read 11195 times)

Metro Jacksonville

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2644
    • MetroJacksonville.com
Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:36:06 AM »
Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?



Most Americans continue to live in places where walking is risky business for their health and safety, where roads are designed solely to move traffic, and where pedestrians are viewed as an obstacle. And Jacksonville is no exception. Find out where Jacksonville ranks amongst its peer cities in Transportation 4 America's Pedestrian Danger Index.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-is-jacksonville-dangerous-by-design

Fallen Buckeye

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 426
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »
I had the displeasure to witness one of these pedestrian accidents. A car in front of me was coming around that bend by FSCJ Kent as you first come on to Park St. in Avondale. The did a complete flip 4 or 5 feet in the air. The driver may have been going a tad too fast, but it seems like the design of the roadway defintely was a contributing factor. I mean they are heading downslope around a corner beside a school that enters into a fairly dense residential neighborhood. Let's not even get into the lack of sidewalks in many neighborhoods. That should be a part of code for any new construction.

wsansewjs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 878
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
There are few close calls I have encountered while I was walking in Jacksonville. Drivers doesn't give a flying f*** about pedestrians and continue to drive too fast around pedestrians.

Sometime, I wish I had the Thor's hammer, so I can eject their cars out into the space.

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

Wacca Pilatka

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2336
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »
I guess one of the potential replacements for "Where Florida Begins" ought to be "Look Out!"
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

urbaknight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 830
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
Jacksonville's slogan should simply read "Not for pedestrians". Put that under each welcome sign that are on the highways.

rainfrog

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 72
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »
I have no clue how much this contributes to accidents, but I'm amazed at how often drivers park straddling crosswalks at red lights and stop signs, sometimes completely clearing the stop line (if there even is one). It seems to be coupled with pedestrians avoiding crosswalks altogether and preferring to cross in between cars, an unquestionably dangerous practice. I'm not sure which of these is the chicken and the egg, but they seem to exist in tandem.

Maybe both these things can be solved by design, but how much of it can't? It seems logical that a metro area that's >95% car-dependent would render those rare interactions with the other <5% as filled with unfamiliarity and unpreparedness. Scarcity has to be a part of the danger.

It also might be worth exploring what contributes to regional differences in driver safety and accident rates, completely apart from driver-pedestrian conflicts. I suspect the South in general is simply on the wrong end of those differences. I do recall one study that showed distracted driving may be a bigger problem in the South.

tufsu1

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11226
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »
one easy way to solve that problem is to restrict right turns on red...and for that matter, left turns on red on one way streets...while I love them as a driver, they are awful for pedestrians...at minimum, they should not be legal downtown

Non-RedNeck Westsider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4723
  • Politically Agnostic
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:06 PM »
I think that bollards should start rising from the concrete the moment a light turns yellow.  And if a vehicle crashes into said bollards, then the driver gets fined commisurate with the damage that the bollards sustains.



and BTW, that's the HARD way to solve the problem.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

urbaknight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 830
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
I have no clue how much this contributes to accidents, but I'm amazed at how often drivers park straddling crosswalks at red lights and stop signs, sometimes completely clearing the stop line (if there even is one). It seems to be coupled with pedestrians avoiding crosswalks altogether and preferring to cross in between cars, an unquestionably dangerous practice. I'm not sure which of these is the chicken and the egg, but they seem to exist in tandem.

Maybe both these things can be solved by design, but how much of it can't? It seems logical that a metro area that's >95% car-dependent would render those rare interactions with the other <5% as filled with unfamiliarity and unpreparedness. Scarcity has to be a part of the danger.

It also might be worth exploring what contributes to regional differences in driver safety and accident rates, completely apart from driver-pedestrian conflicts. I suspect the South in general is simply on the wrong end of those differences. I do recall one study that showed distracted driving may be a bigger problem in the South.

Southerners, for the most part, are very self absorbed and do not think of their surroundings. And as long as they're in their cars, they're not worrid about anyone outside them. They feel they have the right of way because they're bigger and faster. And that's why the whole rest of the country has nothing but negative opnions of drivers in the south, Florida in particular is viewed as the worse with the dumbest and most blaently in your face aggressive drivers anywhere.

Ralph W

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 383
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »
I have no clue how much this contributes to accidents, but I'm amazed at how often drivers park straddling crosswalks at red lights and stop signs, sometimes completely clearing the stop line (if there even is one). It seems to be coupled with pedestrians avoiding crosswalks altogether and preferring to cross in between cars, an unquestionably dangerous practice. I'm not sure which of these is the chicken and the egg, but they seem to exist in tandem.

Maybe both these things can be solved by design, but how much of it can't? It seems logical that a metro area that's >95% car-dependent would render those rare interactions with the other <5% as filled with unfamiliarity and unpreparedness. Scarcity has to be a part of the danger.

It also might be worth exploring what contributes to regional differences in driver safety and accident rates, completely apart from driver-pedestrian conflicts. I suspect the South in general is simply on the wrong end of those differences. I do recall one study that showed distracted driving may be a bigger problem in the South.

Southerners, for the most part, are very self absorbed and do not think of their surroundings. And as long as they're in their cars, they're not worrid about anyone outside them. They feel they have the right of way because they're bigger and faster. And that's why the whole rest of the country has nothing but negative opnions of drivers in the south, Florida in particular is viewed as the worse with the dumbest and most blaently in your face aggressive drivers anywhere.

Poor driving and poor pedestrian habits have nothing to do with where you live. The news the other night had Boston as having the worst drivers.

Another news video showed a pedestrian pushing a baby stroller hit by a driver who left the starting gate when the light turned green but could not see the person in the crosswalk because of a large vehicle to their left.

Two mistakes there: 1. The pedestrian appeared to have started to cross the intersection too late and did not pay attention beyond the truck and 2. A quick start by the driver when the light turned green, not taking into account the view to the left was totally blocked by the truck. Another potential but not observable factor might be the signal timing. Not enough grace time on the crosswalk signal. Not enough lag on the green signal. Who knows?

Our nationwide fixation on instant communication has also turned us into an attention deficit population. The old adage of "Can't walk and chew gum at the same time", is a truism when it comes to driving as well as walking when a cell phone is plastered to your ear.

I've driven in and thru many US cities. I've done the slow, I'm almost lost driving trick, making a turn or lane change almost at the same time I flick the turn signal. So have most of us. Quick decision changes will make even the most sedate and safe driver look aggressive or dumb, especially if you are noticed as not keeping up with the regular flow of traffic.

Strange and stupid driving is not limited to the south. A right turn from a left turn lane across two thru lanes of traffic, all the while with the left turn signal blinking is something I've seen both in the northeast and right here in Jacksonville.

urbaknight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 830
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »
But here in JAX bad drivers never get charged with their crimes. Only if they run, do they get into trouble, if they're found at all. I can't say it enough, we really need to start prosecuting those who hit pedestrians and bicyclists. If we seriously start cracking down on them, we could easily raise enough money to fix any problem we have in the city. We could afford to fix EVERY SINGLE BUILDING downtown for commercial as well as residential use. Our park system would be second to none. And just think what we could do for our school system! We'd be the best in Florida! No more considering JAX to be part of South Georgia, instead, it can be known as an outpost of the Northeast!

Dashing Dan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 776
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 01:38:14 PM »
The Cit of Jacksonville Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee meets on the first Thursday of each month, at 5 PM in the Lynwood Roberts Room of City Hall downtown.  Please join us!

There was a segment about this topic on First Coast Connect today.  If you heard it, what did you think?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.  - Benjamin Franklin

urbaknight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 830
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
The Cit of Jacksonville Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee meets on the first Thursday of each month, at 5 PM in the Lynwood Roberts Room of City Hall downtown.  Please join us!

There was a segment about this topic on First Coast Connect today.  If you heard it, what did you think?


I did not hear about it. BUt I will make every effort to atted the next meeting.

iMarvin

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 451
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »
I think that bollards should start rising from the concrete the moment a light turns yellow.  And if a vehicle crashes into said bollards, then the driver gets fined commisurate with the damage that the bollards sustains.



and BTW, that's the HARD way to solve the problem.

That's harsh...

Bativac

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 816
Re: Is Jacksonville Dangerous By Design?
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 03:24:42 PM »
I have no clue how much this contributes to accidents, but I'm amazed at how often drivers park straddling crosswalks at red lights and stop signs, sometimes completely clearing the stop line (if there even is one). It seems to be coupled with pedestrians avoiding crosswalks altogether and preferring to cross in between cars, an unquestionably dangerous practice. I'm not sure which of these is the chicken and the egg, but they seem to exist in tandem.

Maybe both these things can be solved by design, but how much of it can't? It seems logical that a metro area that's >95% car-dependent would render those rare interactions with the other <5% as filled with unfamiliarity and unpreparedness. Scarcity has to be a part of the danger.

It also might be worth exploring what contributes to regional differences in driver safety and accident rates, completely apart from driver-pedestrian conflicts. I suspect the South in general is simply on the wrong end of those differences. I do recall one study that showed distracted driving may be a bigger problem in the South.

Southerners, for the most part, are very self absorbed and do not think of their surroundings. And as long as they're in their cars, they're not worrid about anyone outside them. They feel they have the right of way because they're bigger and faster. And that's why the whole rest of the country has nothing but negative opnions of drivers in the south, Florida in particular is viewed as the worse with the dumbest and most blaently in your face aggressive drivers anywhere.

Not sure how you find being thoughtless and self-absorbed as a southern thing. Those behaviors exist all over the US (and the world as a matter of fact - my time spent in Italy left me terrified as a pedestrian among insane drivers).

Part of the problem here is that the roads are not built to support pedestrian traffic. There are sections of Atlantic Blvd where I live that I have to cross a 6 lane highway because the sidewalk is only on one part of the road. So I cross the highway, cross the cross st, then cross BACK over the highway to continue my path.

Ignorant drivers are definitely part of it, and newer roads are better than older ones, but local roads are definitely not designed to be pedestrian (or cyclist) friendly.