Author Topic: The Creation of Transform Jax  (Read 10709 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Creation of Transform Jax
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:03:46 AM »
The Creation of Transform Jax

A common desire between a group of urban core planners to continue the effort to make innovative urban core revitalization concepts discussed throughout the community a reality, has resulted in the creation of "Transform Jax."

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-the-creation-of-transform-jax

vicupstate

Re: The Creation of Transform Jax
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:38:19 AM »
So who are the Five Guys (not the burger chain)?

Sounds great.  Best of luck.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Miss Fixit

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
The five guys appear to be Jeremy Hubsch, Ennis Davis, James Boyle, Wiatt Bowers and Aaron Glick.

dougskiles

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 07:07:54 AM »
Because Transform Jax appears to be an advocacy group for the entire urban core, might I suggest that you coordinate a meeting with the urban core neighborhood groups.  Sort of like a 'summit' meeting, if you will.

I look forward to working with you on this and am excited to find out what SMPS can do to be a part of it.

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:32:01 AM »
This is a wonderful initiative.  Good luck to those involved.  It appears you're off on the right foot with much of the hard organizational work completed.

I'm especially glad that the group includes the concept of economic diversity among its list of issues of concern.
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

tufsu1

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 07:44:28 AM »
Because Transform Jax appears to be an advocacy group for the entire urban core, might I suggest that you coordinate a meeting with the urban core neighborhood groups.  Sort of like a 'summit' meeting, if you will.

I look forward to working with you on this and am excited to find out what SMPS can do to be a part of it.

Lake or Tufsu.

Is the membership still open?  How can people interact with TJ?

I am about to head out of town....so I may not be able to answer many questions this weekend.

but the general answer is yes...we intend to have several committees (and maybe even subcommittees) as time goes on...one of those will be a neighborhoods council with representation from all the intown neighborhoods.

Any more questions, feel free to pm me or send an email to the group at info@transformjax.org and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Finally, thanks to MetroJacksonville for posting our introductory article...we felt this was the place to make our group public!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:47:00 AM by tufsu1 »

Garden guy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:10:26 AM »
This all sounds great but if you use the same people that have been making the decisions in the past again...nothing will change.

manasia

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
This all sounds great but if you use the same people that have been making the decisions in the past again...nothing will change.

This is the truth right here.
The race is not always to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor satisfaction to the wise,
Nor riches to the smart,
Nor grace to the learned.
Sooner or later bad luck hits us all.

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »
The list of "five guys" posted earlier in the thread aren't the same old people.  They are innovative thinkers not tied to the bad decisions of the past.  And a whole host of new folks will be coming in with Alvin Brown who are open to new ideas.

I think the timing is perfect for such a resident-led advocacy group to launch.

Noone

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
Sounds good. I'd like to participate but in order to do so I need to pick my favorite 501-c?

Jeremy and Ennis have but Wiatt, James and Aaron if you guys would like to paddle Hogans Creek I'd love to show you. Its only an hour trip. Call me 904-721-3321-home

In my last two trips I saw a manatee at the Maxwell House plant and a couple of gators. I'd love to be part of something that is Making it Happen.

tayana42

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »
"Timing is everything", so this just might work.  Hope so.  Good luck.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »

Perhaps you should volunteer your services...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

mind ski arch r+d

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 09:21:16 AM »
Interesting, how does one contact this organization?

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »

mind ski arch r+d

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 09:25:27 AM »
thanks.