Author Topic: Revitalizing Neighborhoods: Cabbagetown  (Read 3813 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Revitalizing Neighborhoods: Cabbagetown
« on: May 19, 2011, 06:32:25 AM »
Revitalizing Neighborhoods: Cabbagetown

Metro Jacksonville takes a look at the market-driven revitalization of Atlanta's Cabbagetown to see what we can learn and apply towards the redevelopment of our own urban core residential neighborhoods.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-revitalizing-neighborhoods-cabbagetown

acme54321

Re: Revitalizing Neighborhoods: Cabbagetown
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
None of the pictures will load for me  ???

iMarvin

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:45:31 AM »
That is a really nice neighborhood!
Kinda reminds me of East Jacksonville with a lil Springfield. I really love the narrow streets and on street parking. Makes it look so dense!

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »
That's because the housing designs are the same as bungalows in Springfield. Bungalow plans were standardized back then, Sears and other companies sold plans out of catalogs, which were extremely popular. I recognized a couple that we have here in Springfield. In the 4th picture down, there are two that have dopplegangers in S'field.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:17:30 AM »
Looks cool. I especially like the modern recycling bins (big, mixed material, picked up by truck). When are we gonna get those?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »
The front page picture looks like the east end of Bourbon street or Frenchmen Street (Marigny) in NOLA.  Marigny would be a great neighborhood to cover.

This area looks like what the Stockton street area, Springfield, or Eastside could like like in less than 5 years.  Avondale, 5 points, San Marco, and even King Street are far ahead of this area in my opinion.  This is what happens right after the residents start caring about their neighborhood, and right before it gets completely gentrified to the point where it loses its character.  Springfield was literally 6 months from this point before the one-two punch of SPAR and the real estate bust literally knocked Springfield back into 5th grade.

We should be focusing on getting our core neighborhoods who just need a little help to get the ball rolling up to this point.

Bativac

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
This is what happens right after the residents start caring about their neighborhood, and right before it gets completely gentrified to the point where it loses its character.  Springfield was literally 6 months from this point before the one-two punch of SPAR and the real estate bust literally knocked Springfield back into 5th grade.

We should be focusing on getting our core neighborhoods who just need a little help to get the ball rolling up to this point.

I agree with this! I wish there was some way to encourage neighborhoods to just clean themselves up. No public money is required for people just straightening up their property, just hard work on the part of the property owner. Also I wish there was a way to keep it from turning the corner from "cool neighborhood" to "gentrified yuppie area." But I guess that's how it goes.

duvaldude08

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 12:18:12 PM »
I could not imagine tell anyone I live i Cabbage Town and I stay in the Cotton Mill Loft's. Thats too funny to me  :D
When I hear "cotton mill" I think "cotton field". That would be too creepy for me. lol but seriously, they were very crafty with revitilizing this area. It s true example of thinking outside of the box.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:20:56 PM by duvaldude08 »
Jaguars 2.0

TheProfessor

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
Cabbagetown is much more sketch than Springfield IMO.

Garden guy

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »
Its a shame but much of the cleaning up of neighborhoods can happen but it just take organization and cooperation. Should'nt there be neighborhood groups to help keep all of our surrounding nice..help the neighbor who cant mow for some reason..daily clean up in a neighborhood of lets say 20 houses would probably only take 20 min. per day per person and you'd have the cleanest steets and yards...it just takes organization..I've been mowing someone elses yard for years..you'd be suprised what 20 mins of weeding and preening will do for a neighborhoods ego...usually if you are proud of something you tend to take better care of it..even if you only are a  renter...is'nt it everyones duty to care about our surroundings...i just hate to see cute little neighborhoods that are just a mess due to neglect...ok..there's my rant..i think i'll go pull some weeds..lol.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »
Actually, people all over Springfield do this regularly...mow empty lots and lawns of vacant houses,  pick up trash, etc.  Now, if property owners would take care of their own properties, and people would cease littering, we could turn our attentions to something else!

danno

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
I do half of my block in Springfield when I have my mower out.