Author Topic: Twenty Affordable Fixes For Downtown  (Read 8269 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Twenty Affordable Fixes For Downtown
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:01:48 AM »
Twenty Affordable Fixes For Downtown

As Jacksonville awaits the final election results, here are 20 cost-effective concepts that either mayor could get behind that save the city money while spurring economic revitalization.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-twenty-affordable-fixes-for-downtown

Noone

Re: Twenty Affordable Fixes For Downtown
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:59:04 AM »
Good points. Lets Make it Happen.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »
Love it for the second time.
Lenny Smash

duvaldude08

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »
Are you writing this down Alvin? :)
Jaguars 2.0

L.P. Hovercraft

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »

+1000

I think I speak for many here today when I say:

Huzzah!!!
"Let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved.  And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity."
--John F. Kennedy, 6/10/1963

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »
Ok Alvin I can not wait to here how the meetings with your Fed contacts went to fast track our port.  Savanna and Charleston have been delayed and Jax can jump into the lead.
Lenny Smash

urbaknight

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
I just hope that whoever becomes the next mayor, will go down as the best mayor in JAX history. 

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »

don't worry...he and his staff will get the message

marksjax

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »
Ennis, well done. Thank you!

jaybyrd

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
Wow, splendid.  Thanks again for thinking for the feeble minds that run this city.

tom-joseph

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »
These are very good suggestions and require very little taxpayer money, well done collection of real ideas!

The problem is I have a retarded friend (not kidding) who knew this sort of stuff (parking, transportation, etc) as downtown deteriorated in the first place. It used to be really thriving and dynamic. City leaders have been essentially worse than brain damaged to not do many of these things for decades.

Anything that Alvin Brown can do with a stroke of a pen I hope he will do. But the new Mayor should not expect any cooperation from the Republican City Council, as they are the problem in the first place. Jax has had decades of Republican control and all these simple fixes for downtown seem to have been too much for them to understand. They prefer paying big money to consultants and then ignoring them. Or they love some big deal, big cash contract and plans for grandiose nonsense that never happens.

These 20 simple affordable ideas are better than all the tax breaks and schemes of the past 20 years.

I do not see downtown as all important but easy fixes for downtown will benefit the entire city. It is looking real bad right now there and that is a shame, as it as the potential to be a world class city center.

L.P. Hovercraft

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
Just emailed Mr. Mayor-Elect Alvin Brown (I sure do like the sound of that!) this article along with a note of congratulations on his victory. 

This list is so damn simple and obvious I would even have sent it to Mr. Hogan if he had won the election, but I definitely think Mayor Brown and his administration will be much more receptive to the ideas presented here.

"Let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved.  And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity."

Nick Stone

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 01:37:21 PM »
The more I ponder these ideas the more plausible, appealing even brilliant and exciting they appear. These ideas are genus yet they make so much since you’d think it was common since. All the ideas are good. For instance: notice how many beach residents ride bikes? My family has bikes. What fun to have bike lanes i.e. not get hit in the head by a truck mirror. I’d drive my car there for a lush lunch, etc if I didn’t have to fret about not having any quarters for a meter. I took my grandson on the skyway and it was awesome and cheap but we had to walk to a motel to use an ATM then work at getting a dollar out of a twenty then panic at the skyway entry because the machine kept rejecting my dollars. My grandson reminded me it’s not nice to cuss. Yes make it free. I’ll spend $ downtown and I and the businesses will pay tax and I’ll have a blast. And the other ideas, etc.

urbaknight

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
Just emailed Mr. Mayor-Elect Alvin Brown (I sure do like the sound of that!) this article along with a note of congratulations on his victory. 

This list is so damn simple and obvious I would even have sent it to Mr. Hogan if he had won the election, but I definitely think Mayor Brown and his administration will be much more receptive to the ideas presented here.

Hey L.P. Do you know Alvin Brown personally? Because I have a few ideas for Down Town regarding amenities for the disabled. Is there any way that I can get an audience with Alvin Brown to discuss my ideas? I'm sure he'd listen and consider them. I mentioned one of them on another post in a different thread. I believe it was the thread about the southbank riverwalk. If you can help me or point me in the right direction That would be super great, Thank you, 

Urbaknight.

L.P. Hovercraft

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »

Hey L.P. Do you know Alvin Brown personally? Because I have a few ideas for Down Town regarding amenities for the disabled. Is there any way that I can get an audience with Alvin Brown to discuss my ideas? I'm sure he'd listen and consider them. I mentioned one of them on another post in a different thread. I believe it was the thread about the southbank riverwalk. If you can help me or point me in the right direction That would be super great, Thank you, 

Urbaknight.

Hey Urbaknight, no I don't know Alvin personally, I just sent him an email from his website: alvinformayor.com
There are some snail mail addresses there too if you'd rather go that route.
I received a letter from him after donating to his campaign and in it he stated he was interested in hearing from his supporters so I say, go for it--send him your ideas!