Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Macon  (Read 2414 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Macon
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:22:32 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Macon

Metro Jacksonville visits a city that has staked its claim as the original home of Southern Rock: Macon, GA.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-elements-of-urbanism-macon

ben says

Re: Elements of Urbanism: Macon
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »
Never been to Macon...looks like a cool little town. Wouldn't spend more than a few hours there, but cool nonetheless.
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

hightowerlover

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »
the tubman african american museum has been sitting like that half-constructed for almost a decade.

Traveller

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:13 AM »
If you want to see more pictures, MJ did a story on Macon a little over two years ago.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-mar-elements-of-urbanism-macon-ga

urbaknight

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »
Wow, there DT looks livelier than our DT. And I'll bet most of their buildings aren't sitting empty above the ground floor, like ours.

krazeeboi

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 11:07:06 AM »
Like I said on the first Macon profile, I seriously doubt the church, listed as Macon's tallest building in the stats section, is taller than the Fickling Building. Emporis needs to get their ish together.

I'm glad to see actual street life in this series. The streets look freshly streetscaped, nice, and clean which is good. I just hope there's a strategy to put more people on the streets. Macon has a nice urban fabric and good bones which bodes well for the city in the future.

And I don't know what it is about Georgia cities and those wide park-like medians. You find them in Macon, Columbus, Augusta, and Savannah.

Purplebike

• Purplebike.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:53:27 AM »
I stopped in to Macon a couple weeks ago when my mom and I were on our road trip. Their downtown is beautiful! So many gorgeous old buildings in great shape, and nice wide streets. There was a used bookstore close by too.
"To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character" - Dale Turner

"How fortunate for leaders that men do not think" - Hitler

www.PurpleBike.com

thekillingwax

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »
Not sure if it was an off day or what but a couple of Saturdays ago I was up there and we drove through the downtown area because we were bored and that place was deader than a doornail except for a few homeless-looking folks wandering around. It's a beautiful corpse.