Author Topic: Remembering The F.W. Woolworth Building  (Read 7458 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Remembering The F.W. Woolworth Building
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:07:11 AM »
Remembering The F.W. Woolworth Building

Metro Jacksonville takes a look into the past of the federal courthouse's underutilized public plaza: The Woolworth/JCPenney Building.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-remembering-the-fw-woolworth-building

ben says

Re: Remembering The F.W. Woolworth Building
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:44:10 AM »
Ughhhhh....these 'look how awesome we used to be' picture threads are starting to get depressing....
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
I have to agree with Ben.  Our city's past glories make today look all the more dreary and hopeless. 
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

danno

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 08:05:40 AM »
I remember being in there just before they closed, removing the popcornn and Icee machine.  It was one of my first jobs out of high school.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »
I went to Woolworth during its final days and had a bite to eat at the lunch counter.  I took home a Coca-Cola collectors glass.  It was a pleasant visit and I was glad that I had the chance to visit before the end came.
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

peestandingup

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
Ughhhhh....these 'look how awesome we used to be' picture threads are starting to get depressing....

I have to agree with Ben.  Our city's past glories make today look all the more dreary and hopeless. 

True. Although most cities have a very similar past with similar cores. The catch is, how far down the crapper did they let it go, how soon did they recognize the problem & take action, and how much needless sprawl did they incorporate during all the madness?

Aside from the poster child cities that are now in near ruin (like Detroit), I would think Jax would be at the top of the shit-list for all of those things. I certainly can't think of another city that had so much going for it, pissed it away & went totally the other direction to such a degree. It's a night & day difference.

KenFSU

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »
Really enjoyed this article Ennis.

ben says

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:55:15 AM »

True. Although most cities have a very similar past with similar cores. The catch is, how far down the crapper did they let it go, how soon did they recognize the problem & take action, and how much needless sprawl did they incorporate during all the madness?

Aside from the poster child cities that are now in near ruin (like Detroit), I would think Jax would be at the top of the shit-list for all of those things. I certainly can't think of another city that had so much going for it, pissed it away & went totally the other direction to such a degree. It's a night & day difference.

Exactly! Which is why it is so madly depressing and frustrating!
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »
Don't worry Jacksonville, your "next" mayor won't spend any more of your tax dollars on a wasteful downtown...

Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...
[REFRAIN]:
that suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.
I try to find a way to make
all our little joys relate
without that ever-present hate
but now I know that it's too late, and...
[REFRAIN]
The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say.
[REFRAIN]
The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat
and to another give my seat
for that's the only painless feat.
[REFRAIN]
The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...
[REFRAIN]
A brave man once requested me
to answer questions that are key
is it to be or not to be
and I replied 'oh why ask me?'
[REFRAIN]
'Cause suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.
...and you can do the same thing if you please.

(M.A.S.H. THEME - "SUICIDE IS PAINLESS")
Trivia? M.A.S.H. = Mobile Army Surgical Hospital.

OCKLAWAHA

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »

I have been trying to find info on R.M. Rose Co. Distillers.  I just love... "Ask the Revenue Officer"

Little Brown Jug??

Here is a starting point...

http://www.ellenjaye.com/4roses.htm

Interesting stories... but even they admit they are unsure of authenticity...

In reality, the most likely story of all, and the one we tend to believe, is bit more mundane. The fact is that the R. M. Rose Distilling Company of Atlanta and Chattanooga was owned and operated through two generations by Rufus M. Rose, his brother Origen Rose, and their two sons. Those would, of course, have been the "four Roses". But of course the stories are nice, too.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jumpinjack

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
Something I can't help noticing, neither of those stores is a mega-store. I remember shopping there as a kid with my parents and never felt something was lacking. Of course, space wasn't needed for thousands of products made in China; most stuff then was made in the USA.

second_pancake

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »
Sad, sad, sad.  I can't believe how much was destroyed in the 50's and 60's in the name of "progress".  And we apparantly have learned nothing since it still continues.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 10:28:47 AM »

I have been trying to find info on R.M. Rose Co. Distillers.  I just love... "Ask the Revenue Officer"

Little Brown Jug??

Here is a starting point...

http://www.ellenjaye.com/4roses.htm

Interesting stories... but even they admit they are unsure of authenticity...

In reality, the most likely story of all, and the one we tend to believe, is bit more mundane. The fact is that the R. M. Rose Distilling Company of Atlanta and Chattanooga was owned and operated through two generations by Rufus M. Rose, his brother Origen Rose, and their two sons. Those would, of course, have been the "four Roses". But of course the stories are nice, too.

Hmmm. It is a campaign slogan for William Jennings Bryan...prohibitionist...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jennings_Bryan
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
So it looks like the postcard of Hemming Park and the Windsor may be a form of campaign flyer... for a prohibitionist... sponsored by a Distillery?? :o

Timkin

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
Great Article... I well remember the Woolworth/ Penney's  Downtown..  along with Sears.

And today to replace these treasures, we have  a vertical glass palace, and a parking lot for a Hotel.   

Progress.