Author Topic: Walkable Commercial Districts: Lake Shore  (Read 6634 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Walkable Commercial Districts: Lake Shore
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:03:35 AM »
Walkable Commercial Districts: Lake Shore

While much of the focus in our city is on downtown revitalization, Jacksonville's Urban Core is home to a series of long-overlooked historic, walkable commercial districts. In our effort to promote better use of existing assets in our communities - which will facilitate sustainable growth and subsequently increase the city's tax base - Metro Jacksonville kicks off a new neighborhood photo series, highlighting these urban gems.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-walkable-commercial-districts-lake-shore

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: Walkable Commercial Districts: Lake Shore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:17:55 AM »
great opportunities especially with commuter rail potentially running down the CSX line at the eastern edge of this district.

copperfiend

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:50:46 AM »
My brother and I used to go to a comic book store at the corner of Blanding/San Juan. It was there forever but last time I drove by the storefront was empty.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
The comic book store moved.  That space is now a temp office for Alvin Brown's campaign.  It was a furniture store for many years before that.

Carribean Star(pictured in the article) has great curry goat and Puerto Plata(also pictured) is a real gem in the city. 

I used to live off Cardinal Blvd for many years and would always walk to the Winn Dixie(now a discount grocery), Office Depot(now a church), the Merita bread store(now a storage location for Rollin Sound), Skinners Dairy for milk and ice cream, the Italian deli that Carribean Star now occupies-who had GREAT bread, Lakeshore Produce(still there), the laundry mat in front of Paks Karate who used to have a baseball arcade game I poured tons of quarters in and before every baseball game the Wendys(still there) to 'carb up' at the super bar.

I biked up to Lakeshore Schwinn on Saturday and couldn't help to think that my old neighborhood had gone downhill.  San Juan and Lakeshore could use a complete-streets-oriented makeover along the commercial corridors

PeeJayEss

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
How's the traffic there? I can't say I've experienced it much during rush hour. The times I have been there, I wasn't convinced it needed all 5 lanes (though as I said I don't know how busy it is at rush).

cline

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
How's the traffic there? I can't say I've experienced it much during rush hour. The times I have been there, I wasn't convinced it needed all 5 lanes (though as I said I don't know how busy it is at rush).

25,000 AADT on Blanding just north of San Juan which puts it within an acceptable level of service for a 4 lane road.  While it is a 5 lane section, the center turn lane doesn't really add much in the way of capacity, but it does allow for left turning vehicles to be out of the flow of traffic (safety).  

That being said, as Ennis mentioned in the article you could easily add medians to the roadway with occasional left turn lanes to access businesses creating a much more pedestrian friendly environment.  It was also help improve vehicular safety by getting rid of the current center "suicide lane" that exists now.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:38:55 AM by cline »

PeeJayEss

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »
That being said, as Ennis mentioned in the article you could easily add medians turn the roadway with occasional left turn lanes to access businesses creating a much more pedestrian friendly environment.  It was also help improve vehicular safety by getting rid of the current center "suicide lane" that exists now.

So we can't do the ever-popular left turn into the turning lane and wait to merge into traffic move? I will miss it  :P

cline

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:42:18 AM »
That being said, as Ennis mentioned in the article you could easily add medians turn the roadway with occasional left turn lanes to access businesses creating a much more pedestrian friendly environment.  It was also help improve vehicular safety by getting rid of the current center "suicide lane" that exists now.

So we can't do the ever-popular left turn into the turning lane and wait to merge into traffic move? I will miss it  :P

I think the idea would be that there would only be medians within the retail district or the true town center area.  I know the left turn and merge move is popular (I do it also), its not really considered "safe" for either cars or peds. :)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
^Yes, the idea is that potential context sensitive improvements would be done only within the true town center area, not the entire Blanding or San Juan corridors.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
That being said, as Ennis mentioned in the article you could easily add medians turn the roadway with occasional left turn lanes to access businesses creating a much more pedestrian friendly environment.  It was also help improve vehicular safety by getting rid of the current center "suicide lane" that exists now.

So we can't do the ever-popular left turn into the turning lane and wait to merge into traffic move? I will miss it  :P

That's my favorite move!  I do that every day when I leave my office.

Timkin

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
Nice article ..well remember that entire area.... Denny Moran's Restaurant was also in that area.

RWNeal

• Jacksonville Public Library Florida Collection
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
I've always been amused at the massage school next door to the strip club for some reason (first pic in the San Juan Avenue section of the article and Flash Dancers below it).

Charles Hunter

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »
When I was a wee Hunter, the comic book store (grey building across form Boost Mobile in one pic) was a Rexall drug store - then it moved to the building now housing the massage school.  In fact, the Caribbean Star site was also a drug store.  Spent many an hour perusing 10 cent Superman comic books.  The Rexall had a soda fountain, too - fountain cherry coke!  The Stock Mild to Wild cycle shop used to be the House of Bargains, before they moved farther out on Blanding to become a flea market.  Had all kinds of interesting stuff in there!

floridaforester

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »
Fieldafm, you are correct.  Puerto Plata is fantastic.  Family-owned Dominican restaurant.  Gotta have the Cuban style pulled pork sandwich.  There are some very cute and affordable bungalows in this area.  Great tudor style brick bungalow on Bayview for $99k.  There are also some cool old commercial buildings further south on Blanding before the Cedar river that could make for a nice retail area again one day.

deathstar

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 02:03:30 AM »
Finally, this is the reason I started coming to this site in the first place, the history and how Jacksonville can improve! Has anyone been down San Juan in the past 2 weeks, lately? There are construction cones starting at Vista and going all the way down to the Cedar Creek bridge, and they've started tearing up the roadway there. Also, on the corner of Retaw & San Juan, anyone notice the BBQ trailer? That dude's been there for almost a year now it seems, he must do pretty good business. They even put in wooden barriers around the property, which used to house excessive traffic from the Foot Doctor.