Author Topic: Southbank Riverwalk Plan Unveiled  (Read 25954 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Southbank Riverwalk Plan Unveiled
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:05:13 AM »
Southbank Riverwalk Plan Unveiled

Metro Jacksonville shares a presentation highlighting the City of Jacksonville's proposed Southbank Riverwalk improvement project.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-southbank-riverwalk-plan-unveiled

tufsu1

Re: Southbank Riverwalk Plan Unveiled
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:01:41 AM »
The best thing I see here is the decision to leave the walkway under the bridge intact....there had been some thought in the initial design from the City to instead have people cross the "expressway" portion of Main St.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:41 AM »
^ Agreed.  A walkover would be hideous.   

A future option would be to install pedestrain ramps up to the bridge directly connecting the north and southbank riverwalks.

wsansewjs

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:58:16 AM »
I want to commend MetroJacksonville for presenting this insightful information and presentation to improve the quality of life for Jacksonville.

I have few suggestions. Those canopy thingy that stretches are the stupidest and ineffective. Look at the Metro park's. It got real dirty easily. I think the better investment would be an actual building or outdoor building that can permenantly house lot of storages that would support the activities of Southbank.

A good example I have personally visited would be Little Rock's River Market which allow lot of small business to rent their own vendor spaces to sell their goods.

-Josh
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:03:28 AM by wsansewjs »
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

Bike Jax

• Bike Jax
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:59:29 AM »
What no cobblestone?

L.P. Hovercraft

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
Hmmm, there's gonna be a steamboat dock?
"Let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved.  And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity."
--John F. Kennedy, 6/10/1963

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
LP- Those 'steamboats' are the Annabell Lee and the Lady St Johns.  They are two steam boat look alikes that have been operating from the South Bank Riverwalk for over a decade.

All of this because Don Redman broke his ankle.....  Imagine what we would have gotten if something more serious befell him...

Bativac

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
LP- Those 'steamboats' are the Annabell Lee and the Lady St Johns.  They are two steam boat look alikes that have been operating from the South Bank Riverwalk for over a decade.

All of this because Don Redman broke his ankle.....  Imagine what we would have gotten if something more serious befell him...

I have about broken my neck on that ramshackle Riverwalk more times than I can remember. Looks like all it took was the same thing happening to a Councilman to get someone to fix it.

Based on Jacksonville's past, I am hoping 50 to 75% of the new plans for the southbank Riverwalk actually come to pass.

L.P. Hovercraft

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:33:02 AM »
LP- Those 'steamboats' are the Annabell Lee and the Lady St Johns.  They are two steam boat look alikes that have been operating from the South Bank Riverwalk for over a decade.

Wow, I had no idea we even had steam boats (or look alikes anyway) cruising the St. John's--a steam boat dock makes sense then.  
I guess I don't get to the South Bank enough--will have to check these out sometime.  

Thanks for the info Captain.
"Let us not be blind to our differences, but let us also direct attention to our common interests and the means by which those differences can be resolved.  And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity."
--John F. Kennedy, 6/10/1963

TheProfessor

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:57:23 AM »
So is this a done deal or does the city need funding still??  I hope they create some innovative designs instead of copying other existing designs.

urbaknight

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »
If Hogan has anything to say about it, it won't happen. Instead, we'll probably get another parking lot.

urbaknight

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
I pick on Hogan alot but, maybe he'll surprise all of us. I sure hope he does.

tufsu1

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
So is this a done deal or does the city need funding still??  I hope they create some innovative designs instead of copying other existing designs.

the funding was set aside last summer...split between this ($15 million), the fountain (approx. $3 million), and Met Park (approx. $4 million)

second_pancake

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
I agree on the sail-awnings.  So, we're going to replace dated infastructure with more dated infastructure? Why can't we build coverings that are more classic and will stand the test of time instead of something that will need to be replaced with every nor'easter?
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

danem

• hoot hoot
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
I agree on the sail-awnings.  So, we're going to replace dated infastructure with more dated infastructure? Why can't we build coverings that are more classic and will stand the test of time instead of something that will need to be replaced with every nor'easter?

I was thinking maybe the awnings are cheaper? They could take them down in the future and replace them with something better, if that's the reason...