Author Topic: 'Safe Routes to School' Program Progresses In San Marco  (Read 7218 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
'Safe Routes to School' Program Progresses In San Marco
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:39 AM »
'Safe Routes to School' Program Progresses In San Marco

You can never be too young to plan out a better neighborhood.  Recently, middle school students at Julia Landon College Preparatory Academy (JLCP) worked with local departments to make the environment around their San Marco-neighborhood school safer.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-apr-safe-routes-to-school-program-progresses-in-san-marco

PeeJayEss

Re: 'Safe Routes to School' Program Progresses In San Marco
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
Good stuff. Good for schools, good for the neighborhood. If only planners had the common sense of experienced kids.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
This is one of the greatest workshops I've seen in a long time.  Fully loaded with commen sence from the kids actually having to make use of the streets without a car.

I sure hope that their ideas are actually implemented.

cline

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
If only planners had the common sense of experienced kids.

It was actually the "planners" that worked with the school to create the program and facilitated the grant to help implement it.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »

It was actually the "planners" that worked with the school to create the program and facilitated the grant to help implement it.

So the planners had the good sense to involve the kids, but not the common sense to solve the problem on their own. And I'm quite sure we're talking about different "planners."

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 10:59:16 AM »
I think this will perpetuate the myth that San Marco gets preferential treatment from the city.  Personally, I think San Marco should get preferential treatment and additional funding... but that's just me.  

I love how the most logical patterns of traffic have been highlighted by the kids.  Marco Place is a little circuitous, but it's the widest and easiest to ride on.  Naturally the kids choose that.  To have a great elementary and middle school will be absolutely great for the 'hood.  Hendricks elementary has been great for years, but Landon is slowly coming around.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:07:14 AM »
Side note: In the large map, look at FEC park and the future site of that condo complex (Jackson Square?).  With that development complete, FEC will be right in the middle of some really dense development.  A pedestrian bridge over the FEC tracks would really help kids safely get to school.  It would also be a neat novelty thing for the area.

Ock......... mini train park and pedestrian bridge inside of FEC park??? Kind of sounds like your dream project.

Also, with the completion of EAst San Marco, this will be a really dense area. Potentially 4,000 people per square mile between the two big developments and the small single family lots.

urbaknight

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
I think that preferential treatment should be granted to the urban core and the urban neighborhoods surrounding it, they need it because, they were neglected in favor of the suburbs for the past 4-5 decades.

urbaknight

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »
Side note: In the large map, look at FEC park and the future site of that condo complex (Jackson Square?).  With that development complete, FEC will be right in the middle of some really dense development.  A pedestrian bridge over the FEC tracks would really help kids safely get to school.  It would also be a neat novelty thing for the area.

Ock......... mini train park and pedestrian bridge inside of FEC park??? Kind of sounds like your dream project.

Also, with the completion of EAst San Marco, this will be a really dense area. Potentially 4,000 people per square mile between the two big developments and the small single family lots.

Tell me more about this condo complex, will it be a highrise like the strand? Or will it be one of those God awful subdivisions that requires a car for safe access?

cline

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »

So the planners had the good sense to involve the kids, but not the common sense to solve the problem on their own. And I'm quite sure we're talking about different "planners."

Actually part of planning involves working with stakeholders (in this case the kids, school, PTA) to assist in identifying problems and then coming up with solutions.  Many on this site find it frustrating when planners do not involve the public in the decision making process.  This is a great example of involving affected stakeholders during the process.

And I'm talking about paid profressional planners (the author of the article is one).  Not sure what planners you are referring to.

tufsu1

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »

so which planners are you referring to peejay?

cline

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
Side note: In the large map, look at FEC park and the future site of that condo complex (Jackson Square?).  With that development complete, FEC will be right in the middle of some really dense development.  A pedestrian bridge over the FEC tracks would really help kids safely get to school.  It would also be a neat novelty thing for the area.

Tell me more about this condo complex, will it be a highrise like the strand? Or will it be one of those God awful subdivisions that requires a car for safe access?

You can read more about it here...although it is pretty much dead.
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-aug-jackson-square-controversy-brewing

Captain Zissou

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
I think that preferential treatment should be granted to the urban core and the urban neighborhoods surrounding it, they need it because, they were neglected in favor of the suburbs for the past 4-5 decades.

Yes, I'm sure there are some reparations that are due the core neighborhoods. 

My main reason is that in addition to the actual DT, the core neighborhoods are part of Jacksonville's face.  More money should be spent (on a per capita, per acre, or per whatever basis) on the city's face than on areas like Baldwin, Oak Leaf, or Englewood (Jacksonville's elbow, love handles, and lesser parts respectively)...

Jackson Square and East San Marco are both mid rise complexes that would have high density.  Jackson Square is supposedly a TOD.  I doubt it will be one in the true sense of the word, but it will be closer to one than anything we have currently.  I have heard on good authority that neither are dead, just waiting on the market to recover. 

urbaknight

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

My main reason is that in addition to the actual DT, the core neighborhoods are part of Jacksonville's face.  More money should be spent (on a per capita, per acre, or per whatever basis) on the city's face than on areas like Baldwin, Oak Leaf, or Englewood (Jacksonville's elbow, love handles, and lesser parts respectively)...

Jackson Square and East San Marco are both mid rise complexes that would have high density.  Jackson Square is supposedly a TOD.  I doubt it will be one in the true sense of the word, but it will be closer to one than anything we have currently.  I have heard on good authority that neither are dead, just waiting on the market to recover. 

TOD, is that Transit oriented development?

cline

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »

TOD, is that Transit oriented development?

Yes.  If JS is eventually build, it would be a great candidate for a commuter rail stop since it is adjacent to the FEC tracks.