Author Topic: Annie Lytle gets a new Roof  (Read 6095 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Annie Lytle gets a new Roof
« on: November 13, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Annie Lytle gets a new Roof

The endangered Annie Lytle now has a new neighbor to protect her from the rain.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/642

02roadking

Re: Annie Lytle gets a new Roof
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »
I'm suprised that there has not been an "accident" at this site yet.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:41:34 PM by 02roadking »
Springfield since 1998

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »
It wouldn't take much for an "accident" to happen.  I wonder how the building's foundation is holding up from all the nearby bridge piling construction?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »
how is this considered "overhanging"....there's over 10 feet separating the ramp from the school?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
I think it was just a joke.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

big ben

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »
i don't know how great of shape this building is in, but it seems like it could be a good spot for a concert/live show venue.  since they're generally windowless and loud inside anyway, the traffic noise wouldn't be an issue and the exterior would give it character that you wouldn't care about once inside (you're there for music, anyway).  and the type of venue i'm thinking of isn't concerned too much with a completely restored interior, mostly just open flooring with speakers and colorful lights.  it wouldn't necessarily need the auditorium (that i for some reason thought i heard was in very bad shape) if there were other areas large enough to be used. 

the other question, of course, would be parking and maybe the cost of the building.  i would think that land with a highway overhanging wouldn't be worth quite as much as other areas, though. 

and, of course, i've been to jack rabbits and freebird enough times to know that it's hard to fill up a show in this town. 

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 03:32:22 PM »
Parking wouldn't be aproblem once the interchange is finished because the underside of the elevated portions will be empty.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Annie Lytle TRANSIT CENTER and Theater?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 03:39:37 PM »
I still think it looks like a SKYWAY-STREETCAR-BUS station. Toss in the new "Covered Parking Zone" and the theater with the convertible sky roof and we could have a winner! All kidding aside, we really DID put a theater into the "University Station" in Medellin. It has worked wonders, bringing in zillions that might have missed mass transit as not on their (elevated) social level. Once they see it in action, the adjacent stores and malls (JTA, it's called a REAL TOD) their hooked. Why not in Jacksonville?

Ocklawaha

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 04:46:37 PM »
It certainly sounds like a fantastic forward thinking idea Ock.

archiphreak

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 11:17:44 AM »
The city has no interest, and has never had any interest in saving this structure.  In the last ten years there have been several proposals put to the city as options to save this property and all were met with immediate rejection.  One was to convert the building to an assisted living center = Vote NO.  Another was live/work lofts, I believe; yet another negative outcome.  One developer wanted to make the whole thing office and one friend of the family was trying to buy the building to renovate it back to a school.  Each time a viable business man or developer came to the table with an easy and profitable solution the city simply stamped "DENIED" on the app and moved on.  I doubt they even read half of the information that crossed their desks concerning this amazing building.  I myself have thought for years that it would make a great nightspot, regardless of it's proximity to I-95.  But, as has been said, I'm sure an "accident" is imminent.  It will be a great loss for riverside.

raheem942

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 11:33:23 AM »
well i think some one should do something to restore this

Timkin

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 01:02:34 AM »
Im trying to seek out persons willing to buy and restore. If time does not run out before

patty8679

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 12:36:20 AM »
has anyone found an investor willing to put the money up for a night club. the renovation would probaly cost around 4 million. but the profits would be there once complete. if anybody is interested in giving it a try i would like to work on a business plann with them.

Timkin

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 01:03:39 AM »
Patty..... For the night club proposal, were you looking to purchase this property?  If so, you may or may not know that One Entity owns the School building and the land directly below the building. ( Tarpon Holdings, LLC)   Another (Foundation Holdings IV )  has retained ownership of all adjacent and surrounding land, up to FDOT Right of way in the front, back to Hughes Automotive, and own either 2 or 3 lots on College , ending at Roselle St .. ( They own the corner lot)  

My point is , the renovation costs you are speaking of , may or may not be accurate. I do not know for sure..  but.. then there is the purchase of the building and the adjacent land, since I seriously doubt Foundation Holdings IV will ever be open or consenting to a nightclub being there ( At this stage in the game I think it is  a better idea, than the building continuing to deteriorate)  and Tarpon ,who bought the school from a tax sale last March,obviously did so ,intending to flip it.  I have no idea what kind of a purchase price these two agencies would be willing to give this place up for ,but my BET is  NOT A PENNY LESS than 2MM.  so factor that into your business plan.  As Tarpon bought the building, but never does any kind of maintenance to it, the City then stepped in and hired an outside contractor to secure the building , fence, etc. and the last I knew, liened not just the school, but all of Tarpon's Duval County properties ( some one please correct me if I am wrong)

Archipfreak.....I completely concur with the first part of your statement. the City absolutely has had no interest in saving this building... but at least since the time I have been involved in it , beginning late 2005,  There have been no proposals set forth that were declined, other than demoltion requests.  Feb 2007 LUZ Meeting concerned Bill #2006-0024  (application by Foundation and the developer to demolish the building)   At the land , use and zoning meeting , that was initially APPROVED but with condition.  Then public outcry came in large numbers.. I personally contacted the Florida Trust and the National Trust for Historic Preservation and got them involved.

Long story short.. Initially approved by LUZ , referred to full council who deferred the bill for better than a year and last year the bill was kicked out of council and re referred to HPC.  Since the building earned Landmark status in 2000 ( Placed in this status , hoping to help with getting some assistance from the Florida/National Trust)  I firmly believe now that is the sole factor which has spared it from demolition.  What you are correct about is , that many proposals have been made, mostly with the idea of housing and have never come to pass for various reasons.  

I have intently been involved with trying to protect the School from any fate which involved removing any part or all of it .  It is and will always be my sincere desire to see it spared.   From a practical standpoint, I believe Ock's proposal to Utilize the building as a Transportation center/ Mall is the most practical idea EVER EVER proposed, however ,sadly  I do not think JTA and/or the City is going to be having any part of that.  So the night club idea is totally fine with me... but I think even in that plan you are looking at SIGNIFICANTLY more than you think for renovation costs and then you have the purchase of the property.  It would seem to me that LUZ would be reasonable for any proposed use which would finally make this old building viable, as clearly  housing never would have and likely never will happen there .  I wish you luck with your endeavor.  If there is any way AT ALL POSSIBLE that I can help , please do not hesitate to contact me. I wish you luck in finding funding.. If you pull that off, you will have succeeded, where many have failed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:09:33 AM by Timkin »

Timkin

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »
I still think it looks like a SKYWAY-STREETCAR-BUS station. Toss in the new "Covered Parking Zone" and the theater with the convertible sky roof and we could have a winner! All kidding aside, we really DID put a theater into the "University Station" in Medellin. It has worked wonders, bringing in zillions that might have missed mass transit as not on their (elevated) social level. Once they see it in action, the adjacent stores and malls (JTA, it's called a REAL TOD) their hooked. Why not in Jacksonville?

Ocklawaha

Could not agree with you more, Ock!   I would be doing hand springs on the roof if it ever came to pass.