Author Topic: JTA Responds to Skyway Criticism  (Read 13721 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
JTA Responds to Skyway Criticism
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:47 AM »
JTA Responds to Skyway Criticism

Facing increased scrutiny from mayoral candidates and the public, JTA releases a statement explaining the current state of the Skyway and welcomes discussion about where to go from here.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-mar-jta-responds-to-skyway-criticism

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
Re: JTA Responds to Skyway Criticism
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:11:13 AM »
While it is difficult to evaluate the Skyway in the absence of a comprehensive downtown strategy...

ZING!
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
It may be ahead of it's time, or maybe it should have never been built, but one thing is certain, now that we have it, there has NEVER been a better time to push expansion on all fronts then now. Since the Skyway was first built where has JACKSONVILLE "owned" the key congressional seats to get our funding pushed through? This is also time to get after the streetcar construction for the same reasons... Or we can stand on the sidelines while other cities score again, and again, and again...

OCKLAWAHA

peestandingup

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »
It may be ahead of it's time, or maybe it should have never been built, but one thing is certain, now that we have it, there has NEVER been a better time to push expansion on all fronts then now. Since the Skyway was first built where has JACKSONVILLE "owned" the key congressional seats to get our funding pushed through? This is also time to get after the streetcar construction for the same reasons... Or we can stand on the sidelines while other cities score again, and again, and again...

OCKLAWAHA

This is a sticky problem though that has so many variables. Its absolutely true that it should have never been built. I dont know who thought this was a good idea, because the cost per mile is INSANE. You could have built a light rail or streetcar system that covered half of the city for not much more than what the Skyway cost.

But, here it is. And like they said, they obviously can't tear it down because of repayment costs. But then, they can't extend it either because of cost. And with all of downtown's issues these days, its obviously not a good "starting point" for transit because no one lives there, works there or really even goes down there. You have to bring the people from the outside to it, instead of the other way around.

Connecting the adjacent areas (Riverside, San Marco, Springfield) with an integrated system is vital (not buses, buses suck, no one will ride them, so lets get that out of our heads right now). I'm talking about a dedicated system that can eventually reach all of these areas (and the suburbs as well), that then tie in to the Skyway. Then, downtown will eventually come around. But if you play the "wait & see" game with downtown, you'll be waiting a while. It's obviously not gonna get there on its own & needs a "little help from it's friends", meaning its surrounding neighborhoods.

So, yes. You're gonna have to invest in other transit if you want this thing to ever be successful. It's really the only way.

P.S. And if JTA has to ask, "dedicated system" is a light rail or streetcar. I don't care which one it is, it has to be cost effective, run often & get people to places they want to go in a timely manner. Shut up about "trolleys". We all know they're just gussied up buses & are subject to the same exact issues that go along with them, so lets not BS each other. No real city who's serious about transit ever considers the "trolley-bus" the main point of their core system.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
Connecting the adjacent areas (Riverside, San Marco, Springfield) with an integrated system is vital (not buses, buses suck, no one will ride them, so lets get that out of our heads right now).

Meh.

While I actually agree with your other points, PSU, I must say I'd ride the bus if there was a route that actually went where I needed to go. 

And if there were better than 50-70 minute headways, but that's another argument. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

PeeJayEss

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
I...like...JTA

CS Foltz

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
Right or wrong.........$kyway is there and it will cost to remove it! Since the revenue stream generated comes no where close to actually paying for it, why not make it FREE? It is costing us $4 to $7 Million dollars a year to subsidize it today(that figure is taken from several different sources such as TU&JTA) and could be a draw for downtown if there were a downtown that was attractive and user friendly but that takes a vision and a plan! There are so many organizations that cover downtown and none there is none leading the discussion! JTA should be responding to the taxpayers, since our dollars pay for their operations and great idea's Like BRT!

stjr

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
Lake, the tone, style, and substance of this looks an awful lot like your handiwork with input from Ock.  It also looks especially customized to address our many fertile discussions at MJ.  At first, I actually thought it was an MJ article.  I had to pinch myself a few times to be sure it was "officially issued" JTA speak.  Sure you didn't offer JTA a major assist?  :D

I'll give whoever wrote it some bonus points for trying to show and respect more than one side of the issue.  I don't recall JTA humbly acknowledging its critics or their criticisms too often.  Maybe this is a sign of a new, "softer", JTA?   8)  (Or, is it a display of Lake's style to encourage even handed evaluations of the issues?)

As already noted by another post, it looks like "status quo" for the Skyway for years to come.  A stale mate.  No expansion and no abandonment.  I guess that will serve as fodder ad infinitum for MJ boards!

In the mean time, we need to work on getting commuter rail and streetcars.  Then, we can all pause and reevaluate the Skyway.  I figure that's at least 10 years out.  By then, maybe the Feds will have fully depreciated it.  ;)
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »
yea yea yea yada yada......put the train where people work, live & play. Riverside & Bay Street is where to start. All this talk for years, when is something going to HAPPEN already?
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

CopperCommuter

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
I must say I'd ride the bus if there was a route that actually went where I needed to go.  

And if there were better than 50-70 minute headways, but that's another argument.

I made these two points more than 15 years ago in the T/U when the JTA at that time made riding the bus free for a very short period.  Even though our mayor at that time was frequently touting the value of our public transportation system, he himself never utilized it either -- perhaps for those two essential reasons.  Not much has changed with the JTA in this respect since then.

urbaknight

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
Extend the Skyway down Bay st, have a stop at the current Annex building, then take it out to the sports complex.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
Just a few quickie ideas to get this rolling...

Sorry y'all, you know Lake and I will stop at nothing to defend "our Skyway."  LOL! ;D

Rapid schedule change and coordination between BUS and SKYWAY are in immediate order.

Change the configuration of the sprawling stations to accommodate art studios, retail and food vendors.

Change access to the stations, using canopied sidewalks between:

Kings avenue - vendors and canopy to Prudential Drive

Riverplace Station - Suntrust, consideration should be given to run this to Riverplace Tower (vendor spaces)

San Marco Station - IMMEDIATE:  station to Prudential connect via skywalk or canopied pedestrian sidewalk. On a larger scale, a study should be made for a future SKYWALK to connect San Marco Station with Aetna and Baptist hospital towers. (large vendor spaces)

Convention Center/Jefferson Street Station - Configure this line for on-call service except during rush hour using an elevator style call button.

Hemming Plaza, the Skyway shelters much of the sidewalk along Hogan but an actual canopy would do a better job running from Church to Adams Streets. (vendor spaces0

Rosa Parks Station, vendor spaces

Extend operating hours to nights and weekends/holidays on mainline, on call only on the Jacksonville Terminal Sub.

Have a roving Skyway "patrol-ambassador-conductor" officer.

Create a low cost, temporary gound level station in front fo the maintenance facility.

OCKLAWAHA

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »
Anyone know why the skyway was operating all weekend?  Were they just testing the service based on their track repairs?

johnnyroadglide

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:29 PM »
Right or wrong.........$kyway is there and it will cost to remove it! Since the revenue stream generated comes no where close to actually paying for it, why not make it FREE?

For most of the people who ride it, it is free! Ever stand and watch the number of passengers who simply jump the turnstiles, such as they are? If JSO would hand out tickets to everyone who jumped the gates, JTA could have as much revenue as they needed.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus (Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon).

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »
For most of the people who ride it, it is free! Ever stand and watch the number of passengers who simply jump the turnstiles, such as they are? If JSO would hand out tickets to everyone who jumped the gates, JTA could have as much revenue as they needed.

You're forced to jump the gates... b/c more often than not, the turnstiles DO NOT work.