Author Topic: The Seven Blunders of Jacksonville  (Read 8623 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Seven Blunders of Jacksonville
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »
The Seven Blunders of Jacksonville

We've given you a list of the Seven Wonders, now it's time to give you Seven Blunders.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/631

jeh1980

Re: The Seven Blunders of Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:57:35 AM »
We all due respect, but I would have to disagree on some of these entries...especially about the JTA, and the part about us "destroying our history." The number one real blunder of all time is that we who would spoke negative about our mayor (yes, Mayor Peyton does need to do better as a mayor 'cause WE are responsible for putting him back in the office) and the city council, had never let our voices heard in front of ANYBODY who works for the city. If we care about what needs to be done in our downtown, then we need to stand up and speak out...not in anger. Plain and simple. >:(

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:05:22 AM »
We REALLY agree on this one, I figure giving JTA our transit was at least 5 of the 7 sins. Since the highway bandits and their lobby wrecked the streetcars, railroads and urban transit in general, giving them control of Transit is rather like the fox watching the hen house. Of course we now lived in an enlightened age where all transit is believed to be complimentary to one another, at least that is the common spin. Yet pick up any article from Motor City or any highway construction journal or lobby publication and they are still spewing the same old ire. The Expressway Authority was a great idea, but show me another major City who's asphalt gods run the metro...

Destruction, we are certainly kings of that area too. Remember the old Acosta Bridge? Fuller Warren? Both were to be spared or preserved in part as public displays or piers...Uh Huh? The Trolley Barns? Florida's First Skyscraper? First Theme Park? Second Theme Park? The World War II ship building ways? Railroad to the Beaches? Fairfield, the oldest and largest neighborhood to escape the great fire? LaVilla, once filled with classic old hotels and warehouses is now? gone? Brooklyn? I count about 6 homes left, where did it go? Certainly progress replaces some of the old with some of the new, but THANK GOD, San Francisco didn't take the Jacksonville approach to Cable Cars, or New Orleans to Trolleys. THANK GOD, Fort Sumpter SC isn't a condo resort, and Ft. Worth or Oklahoma City's Stockyards districts are not Oil Refinerys.

Did we have to tear down the old Imeson Airport terminal building? Could we have found a better use for the original Union Station, burned and mostly gone today, then storage of highly combustible chemicals? Could we have kept at least one or two of the old downtown wharfs? That famous Oriental Gardens, did we have to build houses all over it too? Condos made a nice replacement for the San Jose Country Club, but Epping Forest? REALLY!

Ocklawaha

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 08:11:18 AM »
One very glaring omission.....

Losing UF to Gainesville a century + ago.

There are others, but that is all I have time for at the moment....

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:22:58 AM »
What about losing Busch Gardens to Tampa Bay? I think that was a huge blunder.

ashmead

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:23:38 AM »
I think the RiverView Jail deserves to be on this list...

downtownparks

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 08:41:06 AM »
I think that the riverview jail, along with the county courthouse, city hall annex, school board, ect, ect, ect all fall under the same as the loss of the wharf district, and the demolition of La Villa and East Jacksonville. It was all done in the name of urban renewal, and while it was done between Mayor Hayden Burns through Mayor Delaney, and still continues to a much smaller degree, the fact of the matter is, rather than save or actually redevelop, we demolished. In some cases where they felt there was some value they built government buildings there.

hightowerlover

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 08:42:50 AM »
Ok I don't know why Transportation is about the only thing talked about on this website any more....

But what about the court house?  I agree with some of the posts, I guess it's just hard to limit yourself to seven when this town has made so many mistakes :)  And I like that the bridges are a wonder and a blunder.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 09:07:01 AM »
We lost Busch Gardens to Tampa and UF to Gainesville? 

As for the courthouse, it was discussed but some felt it still could have a happy ending.  However, that was before we found out the price may be going up again.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 09:22:54 AM »
The reason transportation was mentioned three times on the list was because if we were halfway decent with ours, we wouldn't be in the position we were in today with road construction.

As far as Busch Gardens, while we were in the discussion for it, we never had it.  Now, if they had been here, and packed their bags and left, then absolutely.

raheem942

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »
We all due respect, but I would have to disagree on some of these entries...especially about the JTA, and the part about us "destroying our history." The number one real blunder of all time is that we who would spoke negative about our mayor (yes, Mayor Peyton does need to do better as a mayor 'cause WE are responsible for putting him back in the office) and the city council, had never let our voices heard in front of ANYBODY who works for the city. If we care about what needs to be done in our downtown, then we need to stand up and speak out...not in anger. Plain and simple. >:(
i love that and i will agree 100%

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »
I'd say most of the vocal posters on this site do not sit quitely behind their computer.  They are out there pounding on the 4th floor's door, attending meetings and donating their time for civic purposes on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, the majority of the Jacksonville community could care less unless its an issue that hits them personally.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
I think the RiverView Jail deserves to be on this list...

I was thinking of that one also.  It is an eyesore, and jails are very expenseive to build, so it will be there for a decade or better, at least.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 01:45:13 PM »

I completely agree - which is why the Board of this site meets at least once a week to discuss how they can get this information out to the people that make decisions.  In the last month, we have collectively been to more than 5 public meetings and spoken out, met with the media on multiple occassions, and have written an editorial for the Times-Union, and was the main source behind another one.

We also have more meeting planned for the next few weeks.  If it weren't for the whole day job thing (and putting food on the table), we'd be doing this all day.

downtownparks

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »
I am also active.