Author Topic: Ingredients of a Walkable Street  (Read 2289 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Ingredients of a Walkable Street
« on: December 16, 2010, 03:21:56 AM »
Ingredients of a Walkable Street

How does a community create walkable streets? Streets that feels safe for all - particularly seniors and children? Streets that are sociable due to large numbers of pedestrian users? Streets that are rich and interesting? Streets that breed a strong sense of civic pride? There are a number of essential ingredients that a community must use to craft and sustain a walkable street.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-dec-ingredients-of-a-walkable-street

rainfrog

Re: Ingredients of a Walkable Street
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:42:19 AM »
I like this breakdown.

One thing stood out to me that raises some questions: narrow lots. It seems like this is something that, outside of small infill projects, is at best mimicked nowadays, with block-wide developments trying to look like they weren't all built and designed by the same person, when they even bother to try. Is there a movement back toward the narrow lot, or is it doomed to be just an illusion in all these "psyche, I'm actually just one huge building!" designs?

I so wish we could see a revival of a time when building a 20' wide, 11-story office building (Florida Life Building) was just fiiiine! Maybe the ever-growing compactness of technology will someday allow for the bulky glass yeast rolls of the 1980s to sit empty while the sexy, slender centenarians are in demand again. One can dream.

And yes, I just said sexy, slender centenarians. :P

dougskiles

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:00:04 AM »
Here is my favorite walkable street, La Rambla in Barcelona.  The pedestrian way is through the middle with auto traffic on the sides.  Then sidewalks along the buildings with the narrow storefronts of coffee shops, bakeries, bars and all sorts of retail.

One of the greatest features are the street performers.

Sadly, these interesting folks would probably be banned by the transient vendor law in Jacksonville.

Great article!

ricker

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:02:31 AM »
so much swimming in me brainy goo at the moment. .
1)?"Note that a useful way to reduce walking distances is, when possible and appropriate, to align sidewalks diagonally"?
tell me more. describe from plan view perspective please?
2)I will forever wish the supertarget next to NAS was of the mold shown in this great article.
3)sexy slender centenarians sound so suite  ;D :D ;D :'( :-* :-\ :-X :-[

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
I agree Doug, street performers are a great addition to the pedestrian experience (assuming their acts are passive and not obtrusive).  The best local example is what St. Augustine was a few years ago before the performers were banned.  The ambiance was so much more pleasant and interesting than what existing now.  There is a great one-man-band that has to stick to the alleyways to keep from getting ticketed.

Also, don't know if he is still there, I remember the guy that used to play the saxaphone on the riverwalk under the Main Street bridge.  He was friendly, cordial, and a pretty good player as well.

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »
What is the policy in Jax on street performers? I'd love to do it sometime.

urbaknight

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:49:37 PM »
The city doesn't allow any kind of urban friendly art especially street performers. I'd rather a bum sit on a sidewalk and play an instrument with an open case in front of him where people can drop money if they so choose, than to have them come up to you and ask for money. But the city prefers they be a nuisance rather than exploit their own talents for their own good, and add character to the city.

dougskiles

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 03:12:34 PM »
X2

Anyone have a suggestion on how to change that?  Obviously, new leadership is a start...

We have become so sterile that it can be depressing.  Take the rough round-a-bout at Laura Street for example.  I like it simply because it has made some people uncomfortable.  Nothing like a splash of cold water in the face to wake us up!  Hopefully there will be more of these types of projects coming to add character to downtown.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
I was on Duval street in Key West last week and I noticed the street was very walkable and there was a Spiderman street performer playing a sitar. Coincidence?
Lenny Smash

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
I agree Doug, street performers are a great addition to the pedestrian experience (assuming their acts are passive and not obtrusive).  The best local example is what St. Augustine was a few years ago before the performers were banned.  The ambiance was so much more pleasant and interesting than what existing now.

Anybody remember the duo that played the hammered dulcimers near the city gates back in the 80's-90's? They were excellent, sometimes I went just to sit on a nearby wall and listen. We had some really great conversation too.

Ah Jason, your making me homesick for Medellin... especially this time of year, because NOBODY DOES CHRISTMAS LIKE COLOMBIA DOES CHRISTMAS!

Jacksonville seems determined to rip out and stomp whatever tiny scrap is left of its cosmopolitan days when WE WERE "THE CITY BEAUTIFUL, QUEEN OF THE WINTER RESORTS..."  No drummers, no guitars, no sax, no hot dogs, no balloons, no clowns, no jugglers, no actors, no mimes... leave 75 cents for the next 30 minutes please... walk the deserted streets... peer into the dusty windows... watch the rats scurry for cover in one of the hundreds of vacant lots... NOBODY WILL EVER SAY WE ARE LIKE BARCELONA, or MEDELLIN, or RIO, or ORLANDO. We're not even TOMBSTONE, we are JACKSONVILLE! Leave us alone, sit in our "homeless pocket park," and at 12 noon you can LISTEN TO A FLOWER GROW, maybe the Buddha would understand.

DAMN NEANDERTHALS! Either they haven't reached Cro-Magnon on the evolutionary scale, or city hall is out to prove the theory of devolution. And the whole problem is, it ISN'T an act... that would be illegal!

OCKLAWAHA :-[

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:58:57 AM by Ocklawaha »