Author Topic: (KBJ) Keeping Back Jacksonville: Before and After  (Read 10540 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
(KBJ) Keeping Back Jacksonville: Before and After
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:30:00 AM »
(KBJ) Keeping Back Jacksonville: Before and After

Its been a few months since KBJ destroyed the First Baptist Church.  Metro Jacksonville takes a look at the past and exposes what the site looks like today.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/620

archiphreak

Re: (KBJ) Keeping Back Jacksonville: Before and After
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:29:43 AM »
It's a shame to lose it, but I know why they did it, so I'm not as sorry to see it go.  There are plans for something much more productive for that site.  How long it will take to realize those plans is anyone's guess.  But, if it turns into a surface parking lot, I say we burn them at the stake.

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:35:09 AM »
It's a shame to lose it, but I know why they did it, so I'm not as sorry to see it go.  There are plans for something much more productive for that site.  How long it will take to realize those plans is anyone's guess.  But, if it turns into a surface parking lot, I say we burn them at the stake.

A parking lot is there stated intention for the property.  If they had other immenient plans they likely would have disclosed them, to avoid the bad PR.  The reason they did it was because they neglect the property too long to the point of it needing expensive repairs.  It was self-inflicted. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

walter

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »
I'm guessing the slow down in the real estate market has negatively affected KBJ's financial situation and now their grandiose plans for a parking lot have been put on hold, much like the rest of downtown's "development".  That weed garden does look good though, I think its called zeroscape!

jason_contentdg

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 09:00:20 AM »
I'm guessing the slow down in the real estate market has negatively affected KBJ's financial situation and now their grandiose plans for a parking lot have been put on hold, much like the rest of downtown's "development".  That weed garden does look good though, I think its called zeroscape!

Maybe they can let the building they are currently in deteriorate to the point that they can push to get it demolished as well.  Then partner up with Chris Hionides and develop a new multistory beacon for Jacksonville on those empty lots.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »
The habitat for those weeds had been consumed by the church for far too long.  Now they have ample room to thrive versus facing extinction.

In all seriousness, I really hope your right archiphreak.  I have little problem with something being torn down if it is to be replaced with something better, however, there are too many vacant lots to fill up before anything else is razed.

I-10east

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 09:17:52 AM »
I'm gonna scream if I see another "Ill-advised Main Street pocket park" or "FBC/Keeping back Jax" thread. Okay, I get it; It's a bad situation all the way around, and we have talked about it numerous times on other Metjax and MetroJax threads. Can we please move on?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:19:26 AM by I-10east »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:19:11 AM »
AGHHHH!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 09:29:23 AM »
Am I being unreasonable Lake? Aren't I telling the truth when I said that we've talked about the pocket park, and KBJ's decision to tear down the church plenty of times already? It's done, It's been razed, and the pocket park is almost finished; It's nothing that can be done about it. Obviously we all know how everyone feels about those situations. Why keep saying the same thing over and over again?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:31:28 AM by I-10east »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Here's my problem with the thing - when they first announced the plans, there were for a parking lot.  Then, when they realized they would need to get DRC approval for the said lot, the plans changes to just demolition.  If they really do have plans for the lot, then they probably should have shared them before they demolished this, and I think that the building being built should have been a condition for the demolition.

Personally, I'm not a fan of demolishing history, but if they were demolishing it to replace it with a building (a productive building), then I'd lose less sleep at night over it.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 09:32:13 AM »
I'm I being unreasonable Lake? Aren't I telling the truth when I said that we've talked about the pocket park, and KBJ's decision to tear down the church plenty of times already. It's done, It's been razed, and the pocket park is almost finished; It's nothing that can be done about it. Obviously we all know how everyone feels about those situations. Why keep saying the same thing over and over again?

Personally, I feel like it's good to keep these issues to light.  For example, you brought up the pocket park.  That was 700 thousand, and it was a complete waste, and money we will not get back.  With that said, it's impact was relatively small.  Now consider that the JTA wants to spend over 700 million on a ridiculous BRT system.  I think it's important to highlight mistakes of our past to attempt to avoid more mistakes in the future.

With that said, you are welcome to your opinion.

copperfiend

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »
The members of this site were right about the Pocket Park, they were right about the "Big Idea" and they are right about BRT. You cannot just sit on your hands and accept what is happening.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »
Am I being unreasonable Lake? Aren't I telling the truth when I said that we've talked about the pocket park, and KBJ's decision to tear down the church plenty of times already? It's done, It's been razed, and the pocket park is almost finished; It's nothing that can be done about it. Obviously we all know how everyone feels about those situations. Why keep saying the same thing over and over again?

I-10, it's called a followup, and without a followup this forum is just a bunch of predictions into the future. Isn't it nice to see the actual results of the decisions being made? Maybe reviewing the RESULTS of the decisions will have an effect on future decisions?? We'll see.

archiphreak

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Lakelander, calm down or you'll give yourself a stroke. 

The original plan was not for a parking lot.  The original plan was in fact for a mixed use development that would include parking on two to three floors and retail at grade.  Given the layoffs earlier in the year, obviously their having trouble financially, but that's nothing new for a lot of firms here in Jacksonville.  I do think the entire situation stinks, but what can be done about it I have no idea.

vicupstate

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 10:20:21 AM »
Lakelander, calm down or you'll give yourself a stroke. 

The original plan was not for a parking lot.  The original plan was in fact for a mixed use development that would include parking on two to three floors and retail at grade. 

That would be 'news' to everyone here. It MAY also be simply something to pacify the critics of KBJ, that they have no intentions of actually fulfilling.  If it were legit, whay have they not mentioned it before? 

Evidently with the layoffs, there is no need for the additiional parking.   

I-10east, you have to realize that it is difficult to come up articles on NEW projects happening DT, when there are NONE. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln