Author Topic: Joint Mobility Plan Workshop This Week  (Read 5271 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Joint Mobility Plan Workshop This Week
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:00:17 AM »
Joint Mobility Plan Workshop This Week

This Tuesday, the Jacksonville City Council and the Planning Commission will host a Joint Mobility Plan Workshop to discuss pending legislation 2010-879. If approved, legislation 2010-879 would be a significant step in the creation of a more sustainable Jacksonville.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-dec-joint-mobility-plan-workshop-this-week

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
Re: Joint Mobility Plan Workshop This Week
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:47:24 AM »
............Im ready for results already for all this planning & workshops........Talk, talk, talk...Is anyone ready for transit action yet?
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:56 AM »
From what I understand, the land use portion of the plan has already passed and been adopted.  This means you can now build denser pedestrian friendly development along mass transit corridors and throughout the inner city without having to apply for a PUD.  It could be argued that getting the land use side through was the most important elements needed to get Jacksonville over the hump.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

dougskiles

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:09:52 AM »
Will there be a public comment period in this workshop?  One hour seems pretty short for a workshop to discuss something of this magnitude.  I read the plan and I like the concept of lowering the mobility fee for development that will result in shorter trips.  Although my first reaction is that the differences proposed may not be significant enough to cause any real change in development patterns.  I would prefer to see the CBD set to 0.0 and the Urban Priority and Urban about half of what they are proposing.

I'm looking forward to attending.

Noone

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
I'll try and make it too. Important issue. I'm just curious more of a street car line going from the Prime Osborn all the way to Everbank Field. In my opinion you have this Entertainment district that has yet to be truly identified and will be under JEDC control. So I'm just wondering how the metro jax rail team thinks about this.

New election. Ask the candidates.

Is the funding in place?

Garden guy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:14:23 AM »
This state historically has not been too keen on the idea of public transport...they keep kicking the ideas down the street and i to find it ridiculous to open a meeting about something so large and only give it an hour...just a sign of what we has to be delt with due to the leadership in this state and area...i just find conservatives are usually against anything to do with public anything...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 08:27:36 AM »
Public meetings regarding the Mobility Plan have been ongoing for nearly a year now. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 08:40:25 AM »
Not all conservatives are against this kind of stuff. I am looking forward to this being implemented. Having a dedicated funding source will really help to move this along.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »
I'm just curious more of a street car line going from the Prime Osborn all the way to Everbank Field.

Yes, however depending on who becomes mayor and how its pushed the Skyway is already more then 1/2 way completed between the two. The Streetcar will probably make the same trip over a different street, watch for Independence to Newnan to Beaver or Duval and hence east. 

So I'm just wondering how the metro jax rail team thinks about this.

For all practical purposes your MJ rail team wrote the whole damn plan! Surprise? Also watch for the streetcar to move on down Bay to Myrtle and hence into Riverside via Florida's only subway... the original route. Reason? Riverside Avenue Viaduct/Acosta Bridge is not currently suitable for streetcar, and the Lee Street Viaduct will have to come down to accommodate moving trains back to Jacksonville Terminal.

Is the funding in place?

Dedicated annual funding will be in place.

OCKLAWAHA

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »
I'll try and make it too. Important issue. I'm just curious more of a street car line going from the Prime Osborn all the way to Everbank Field. In my opinion you have this Entertainment district that has yet to be truly identified and will be under JEDC control. So I'm just wondering how the metro jax rail team thinks about this.

New election. Ask the candidates.

Is the funding in place?

A streetcar line to Everbank Stadium is not one of the projects that will be potentially funded by the mobility fee.  The JEDC has already implemented a TCEA (Transportation Concurrency Exception Area) for the downtown area. I believe that TCEA will remain in place.  The TCEA implementation plan can be found here:

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Jacksonville+Economic+Development+Commission/Downtown+Development/TCEA.htm

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:04:47 AM »
This state historically has not been too keen on the idea of public transport...they keep kicking the ideas down the street and i to find it ridiculous to open a meeting about something so large and only give it an hour...just a sign of what we has to be delt with due to the leadership in this state and area...i just find conservatives are usually against anything to do with public anything...

As mentioned earlier, the things being discussed have been in public view for years now.  The COJ Visioning process, JTA's commuter rail, BRT & streetcar studies and the North Florida TPO's 2035 LRTP were all open to the public.  In addition, the Mobility Plan Task Force meetings were also open to the public.  Many of the things that came out of these efforts are what make up what will be discussed at the upcoming workshop.  Everything mentioned above has been featured on our front page the past couple of years as well.  Last but not least, although most here are really focused on transit in general, improving mass transit is only one of many things being addressed in the effort detailed below.

Resulting from the definition of a "dense urban land area" or DULA provided within SB 360, the City of Jacksonville has been designated a TCEA. As outlined in Senate Bill 360, within two years after a TCEA becomes effective, local governments are required to amend their local comprehensive plans to include "land use and transportation strategies to support and fund mobility within the exception area, including alternative modes of transportation."

Local comprehensive plans must also comply with 163.3177, F.S., which requires the adoption of strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote energy-efficient land use patterns. Pursuant to SB 360 and 163.3177, F.S., the City of Jacksonville Planning and Development Department has prepared a draft 2030 Mobility Plan. 

There are two chief components to the mobility planning approach, the draft 2030 Mobility Plan and the supporting 2030 Multimodal Transportation Study (January 2010). The purpose of this dual approach is to build upon existing policies through the adoption of land use and transportation policies that support mobility, in partnership with the effective application of a new transportation improvement and mitigation funding mechanism.
Source: http://www.coj.net/Departments/Planning+and+Development/Community+Planning/Mobility+Plan.htm

dougskiles

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »
It surprises me that something with such a potential impact on the growth of our city hasn't received more attention from our local media.  I knew a little about SB360 but nothing about the Mobility Plan until I started participating in Metro Jacksonville recently.  Hopefully it will become a big topic in the mayoral campaigning.  I wouldn't be surprised though if most of the candidates are largely unaware of the plan, too.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »
The TCEA plan reads like it's a carbon copy of JTA'S asinine plan to conquer the city with flying buses. Being dated 2005, it's pretty obvious these boys and girls had only automobiles and BRT on their minds when they wrote this.

Buses, buses, and some more buses, blowing a east-west in addition to the north south freeway through the middle of downtown just for Buses...  Static Skyway. Classic zero vision stuff, apparently written by non transportation thinkers.

OCKLAWAHA

Kay

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »
Ennis:  Do you agree with widening those listed roads from 4 to 6 lanes?

arb

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »
I would go, however I'm in class tomorrow. But if they bring up the JRTC, this is the oppurtunity to let them know about everyones issues with the planned JRTC.