Author Topic: The Miami Metromover  (Read 5021 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Miami Metromover
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:44:38 AM »
The Miami Metromover

Metro Jacksonville takes a look at the result of integrating a Jacksonville Skyway-like transit system with downtown revitalization and economic development: The Miami Metromover.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-nov-the-miami-metromover

Noone

Re: The Miami Metromover
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:49 AM »
Interesting.

Just asking.

1. Didn't notice parking meters in the pics.
2. Are vendors banned except Downtown 2010-856?
3. Bike paths close by and how integrated in the 3 loops?
4. Nice water picture with the bigger boats but curious how small craft and kayaks are integrated in that Waterway. Access points if allowed.
5. This is probably the most important observation but take me on your next trip out of Duval county your obviously having too much fun.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »
1. They do have parking meters.

2. No. There are street vendors all over the place down there.  They really add to the atmosphere, imo.

3. Similar to Jax.  The recently rebuilt streets have them and the older streets don't.  The entire city is a grid, so there are plenty of lesser traveled corridors for bikers to use that run parallel to arterials.  The metromover loops are pretty well integrated.  You can also carry bikes onto them and Metrorail.

4. The waterway in the Metromover image is the Miami River.  You can kayak and access points are allowed.  However, the river is pretty narrow and frequent used by tugs and large cargo ships serving private terminals, so be careful.

5. You paying? ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
The Miami Metromover

Metro Jacksonville takes a look at the result of integrating a Jacksonville Skyway-like transit system with downtown revitalization and economic development: The Miami Metromover.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-nov-the-miami-metromover

Expand the Skyway to where people live, play & work alrea6y!
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »
Integrating loops into the ends of each leg would make the system infinitely more practical and faster.  IMO, Miami got it right with their circuitous routes. 

A one-way Sports Complex route, a one way Southbank loop, and a one way Riverside/Brooklyn route would really set the system apart.  That would allow for super effecient game day transportation as well as easily coordinated express routes limiting transfers and increasing headways.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:38:34 AM by Jason »

finehoe

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 11:27:47 AM »
Here are five reasons why the Metromover attracts significantly higher ridership than its sibling, the Jacksonville Skyway Express.

I'd say six:

6. Trains arrive every 90 seconds during rush hours and every three minutes otherwise.

If it really keeps to that schedule, that is fantastic.  Basically, you never have to wait for a train.

tpot

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
I just moved to the Brickell area from JAX and the Metromover is usually pretty busy.  It's nice that it's free and it actually goes places.......unlike the JAX model.  I catch the mover to the Heat game all the time or down to Bayside, (our version of the Landing, except ours has tons of great stores and restaurants to choose from).

Shwaz

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »
The biggest difference between the 2; One actually connects people to places and the other does not. The Miami MM is only 2 miles longer than the sky way and does 15x the amount of daily riders! They're utilizing a system to it's potential while we argue the chicken & the egg theory.
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
Hard to believe we've had the Jags over 15 yrs now and the skyway stills does not go the Sports Complex area. I guess its easier to run buses back and forth from the great plains area of grass. Time has ran out on this city.

CS Foltz

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »
Nope...........I disagree! Not easier, cheaper than rail though......according to the bovines at JTA!

Jdog

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »
After receiving a substantial amount of federal investment for the Skyway the routes were never finished; it remains stunted.  Now we're applying for federal assistance for a downtown terminal to accomodate commuter transportation, whose passengers are to rely upon the Skyway for final disbursement throughout the city center.  No wonder why we recently received no transportation funds.  People must be laughing.   

dougskiles

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »
I've heard several times that the Skyway routes were never finished.  Does anyone have the original map that can be posted?

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:30:55 PM »
From my own experience on the Metro Mover which is somewhat limited, it seems like it is well utilized by locals and tourists alike. I never had to wait too long on the platform. It took me where I wanted to go. It was a great way to cover a lot of ground pretty quickly and inexpensively. Well done.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 11:06:34 PM »
I've heard several times that the Skyway routes were never finished.  Does anyone have the original map that can be posted?

Not even close... Check out:
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-nov-the-forgotten-skyway-plan

EVERY PLAN, and there are a bunch more options that was discussed before a final plan was agreed upon (and still NOT built out) shows the Skyway to the old Government Center, Courthouse, Hyatt, area and some of them went to the Stadium. At one point the deadend on Bay at Hogan had a great big banner hanging across the street which read "I'm Going to the Gator Bowl..." We're still waiting.

OCKLAWAHA

mtraininjax

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 12:31:15 AM »
I've heard several times that the Skyway routes were never finished.  Does anyone have the original map that can be posted?

The Jacksonville Historical Society has copies of the original plans from the 80s. Contact Jerry Spinks for more access to them.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field