Author Topic: 2010 Planning and Zoning Awards  (Read 1138 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
2010 Planning and Zoning Awards
« on: November 11, 2010, 04:01:24 AM »
2010 Planning and Zoning Awards

The Florida Planning and Zoning Association recently honored several projects that will have a significant impact on the development of the First Coast over the next decade.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-nov-2010-planning-and-zoning-awards

Garden guy

Re: 2010 Planning and Zoning Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
Awards are great and all but until the conservative leadership in this city changes...none of these great ideas will actually happen. This city will continue into the duldrams that we've been heading for years now...it seems the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer...oh i'm sorry..this is a republican city...what what i thinking...

sheclown

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:22:49 AM »
 There is new energy -- might have something to do with that tall guy in the photo.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
Awards are great and all but until the conservative leadership in this city changes...none of these great ideas will actually happen. This city will continue into the duldrams that we've been heading for years now...it seems the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer...oh i'm sorry..this is a republican city...what what i thinking...

The American Beach Community Center is already completed. The Mobility Study and Plan will be going to council later this month.  They happen to include the ideas and concepts that came out of the vision plans.  So these are three examples of these projects and plans moving forward. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »
+1,000,000 for Stephen.

If you  guys want witness to the ultimate stupidity/awards, Atlanta's PEDS organization just had their Golden Shoe Awards for organizations or people that imrpove the pedestrian experience in the Atlanta metro.

Here are some examples:

1) ARC (our MPO) won the first award for conducting a study that determined that people walk to transit stops and that people who emerge from transit stops also do a little bit of walking.  I.E. Most transit riders begin and end their trip on foot.  DUH!!!  How much money did that study cost?!?

2) Because people are on foot around transit stops, another study examined pedestrian-driver crashes around these transit stops and found a strong link.  DUH!!!  Wherever you have a mix of drivers and walkers there will be some crashes, so how much did THAT study cost?!?

3) A journalism award to someone in the media who says our sidewalks can be better.  Really??  This is the most undeserved award I have ever heard of in my life.

4) A journalism award to PBS which highlighted the needs for pedestrian improvements on Atlanta's dangerous arterial roads.  OMG this is just getting ridiculous

5) Georgia State University one two awards.  The first award went for a program they initiated to "train" police and drivers to be aware of pedestrian safety issues.

6) The second went to GSU for widening a sidewalk on one side of one block.  So in effect this is the only award given to anyone for actually doing something.  LOL

There was one more award but I don't even want to waste my time.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

Actionville

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »
I'm guessing this is just Northeast Florida? I'm still kinda shocked no mention has been made on this site of the new Miami 21 zoning code implemented in May

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »
I believe Miami 21 has been discussed here before....of course the plan almost didn't happen as the Council hesitated on approving it

urbaknight

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »
I agree with you Garden Guy, Let's vote out those country bumpkin Conservatives. Democrats are the ones responsible for all of our Major cities being Major cities. These idiots in city council today have no idea how to put us in the 21st century.

Hell, I'll bet some of them would have slaves, if they were allowed!