A new Winn-Dixie? Inside the new Baymeadows storeFebruary 18, 2016 16 comments Print Article
Earlier this month, Jacksonville-based Southeastern Grocers reopened their Baymeadows store with an entirely new concept. With a focus on quality food, serving with personality and great value, this 250-employee store has been tailored to the Baymeadows community and represents the start of an extensive store remodel program for 2016.
Ian McLeod, President and CEO of Southeastern Grocers – home of BI-LO, Harveys and Winn-Dixie said, “This store provides us with an opportunity to redefine what Winn-Dixie can provide for its customers in a contemporary, friendly and exciting in-store environment focused on stunning quality fresh food, specialty stores-within-stores and very competitive prices.”
“We are planning around 50 store remodels this year and believe this store represents a step change from where we have been, as well as a clear indicator on how we intend to satisfy our customers’ needs in the future,” continued Ian McLeod.
Sourcing from over 50 Florida farms, the new Baymeadows store features quality produce displayed on ice, to maintain freshness and expanded varieties, including prickly pears, lychees and dragon fruit, and over 100 fresh, organic items.
The "next generation" store offers over 4,000 natural and organic products and hosts the brand new, health food store-within-a-store called Naturally Better as well. In addition, the Kitchen offers customers an in-house, stone hearth pizza oven and smokehouse. Brisket and pulled pork will be slow cooked in house for 10 - 12 hours, and Winn-Dixie chefs are making a signature pizza sauce and marinades from scratch.
There's also Café where customers can pick up a hot brew of steaming coffee. With a trained barista on the team and coffee beans roasted on-site, customers can order a latte, cappuccino, espresso or cup of “Joe” and either sit and enjoy at the café style seating or conveniently place in their shopping cart’s cup holder – to sip their way down the aisles.
Other store features include:
1. A Deli with more than 350 local and international artisanal cheeses and a trained American Cheese Society Certified Cheese Steward on-hand with recommendations and pairings. There's also as many as 40 local artisanal cheeses in what has become the first Winn-Dixie to offer a full-range of grass-fed cheeses.
2. A Butcher featuring 100% natural Adena Meats and Florida Frank’s grass-fed, natural beef and organic chicken, USDA Choice Prime beef steaks, dry aged beef, Berkshire pork, Boar ribs and an expanded assortment of fresh sausages and natural packaged meats. Here you'll also find a dry aging meat case, in which chosen cuts of meat can be custom aged to a customer’s liking.
3. The Bakery department includes fresh, hot mini-donuts made in-store, full dessert case featuring specialty cakes, a patisserie with local cupcakes from Cupcake 50 Etc., cheesecakes from the Cheesecake Factory and assorted artisanal breads. As many as 10 varieties of artisanal breads are baked daily and there are 11 flavors of gluten-free bread. In addition, customers can enjoy bagels and butter croissants baked fresh daily.
4. A full-service seafood department offering shoppers a variety of seafood assortments, including 4-Star BAP certified* sustainable salmon and fresh catch of the day.
5. A new beer, wine & spirits shop conveniently located next door, with a great variety of spirits from around the world, including a special section dedicated to local Florida-based craft spirits, such as St. Augustine Distillery.
The store has also been designed to make shopping a little easier for parents. The store features mini shopping carts for children and educational engagement throughout the store, with “moo moo!” and “cluck cluck!” sound features located near the milk and eggs.
Winn-Dixie's next generation store is located at 10915 Baymeadows Road (near I-295) and worth a visit. Here's a look inside!