Jacksonville isn't the only city to lose a significant part of its historic building stock. Here's a look at Tampa's urban core during the 20th century!
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP originally published on Moderncities.com on August 16, 2016.
A busy scene at the intersection of Franklin and Zack Streets during the 1930s. (State Archives of Florida)
Ybor City's 7th Avenue on August 16, 1926. (State Archives of Florida)
Two buildings no longer with us. The Hotel Tampa Terrace (left) and First National Bank in 1968. Hotel Tampa Terrace was demolished and replaced with a parking lot. A sister Terrace Hotel remains in nearby downtown Lakeland. The First National Bank was demolished and replaced with Gaslight Park in the early 1990s. (State Archives of Florida)
Ybor City (left) and Franklin Street (right) sidewalk scenes during the 1970s. (State Archives of Florida)
Looking east down Twiggs St. from Tampa St in 1968. (State Archives of Florida)
Looking south along Tampa Street near Zack Street downtown. The flagship store of the Maas Brothers department store chain is located on the left. (State Archives of Florida)
Article originally published at moderncities.com by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at firstname.lastname@example.org