Jacksonville's Next Historic District: Brooklyn?September 4, 2013 42 comments Print Article
One of Jacksonville's oldest African-American urban neighborhoods, Brooklyn was platted shortly after the Civil War by Miles Price, a Confederate veteran, in 1868. Unfortunately, with its buildings coming down one by one, it's slowly disappearing from existence. Now, if the Jacksonville Historic Commission has their way, a few blocks of the neighborhood will become Jacksonville's next historic district.
Outside of the Historic District
Several historic properties still remain in use just outside of the proposed Brooklyn historic district. The City of Jacksonville Historic Preservation Office strongly recommends that a larger area of the neighborhood be protectedd under some form of a neighborhood conservation district to ensure redevelopment respects the traditional design and building placement within the community.
Here are a few properties that lie just outside of the proposed Brooklyn Historic District boundary.
There aren't many commercial storefronts still standing on Brooklyn's secondary streets. This building, which dates back to 1930, is located across the street from the proposed historic district at 1023 Dora Street. It originally housed a neighborhood market owned by Assof and Mary Naaseef. The Naaseefs resided at 437 Dellwood Avenue in neighboring Riverside.
Park Street's largest industrial property was constructed as the Jacksonville Linen in 1944. Eventually, it was taken over by National Linen Service. Today, the Brooklyn laundry plant operates as a branch of Salt Lake City-based American Linen Supply Company (ALSCO).
Now a part of ALSCO's operation, 300 Park Street (above) does not look like much today. However, it was built in 1928 as the Riverside Atlantic Bank (below) and is one of the early commercial buildings to open on Park Street after the completion of the Lee Street viaduct.
The Pennock Company was founded in 1882 in Philadelphia by Charles E. Pennock. Originally called the C.E. Pennock Company, the name was changed to the C.E. and S.S. Pennock Company in 1886 when C.E. Pennock's half-brother, Samuel S. Pennock, joined the business. In 1947, the floral wholesaling business expanded with a Jacksonville location, opening at 260 Park Street in Brooklyn where it still operates today.