The 14 Parks of San Marco

September 13, 2010 21 comments Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Metro Jacksonville highlights the public spaces of Jacksonville's most walkable neighborhood.


11. Landon Park



Quote
Landon Park, in the San Marco section of the City, takes its name from the John and Mary Landon family who moved to the area in 1867. Their daughter Julia became the teacher for South Jacksonville’s first school, and she taught continuously for 36 years until her retirement in 1919. After the area’s first high school was constructed in 1926-27, on the site of her old home, it was named Landon High School in her honor. The original park was established on the 1925 plat of the San Marco subdivision, and it more than doubled in size by the closing of an adjacent street and an additional land purchase in 1939. The nearby commercial district was modeled after St. Marks Square in Venice. Today several large magnolias and oaks canopy the park grounds, and a rose garden brightens the southwest corner.
http://apps2.coj.net/parksinternet/parkdetails.asp?parkid=224






     
12. Riverfront Park



Quote
Riverfront Park is located on a fifteen-foot, one-block strip of land along the St. Johns River in San Marco, between Landon Avenue and La Verne Street. When San Marco was platted by the Avondale Company in 1925, the street adjacent to the park was known as Mareno Place, which was later named present-day River Road. The .1-acre park provides one bench and several trash barrels for the convenience of visitors. For decades the park’s bulkhead has been a favorite spot for local fishermen, and manatees have been seen surfacing near the shore. The river view and cooling breezes bring out the visitors with folding chairs. And on winter evenings, when the river sunsets are most beautiful, people congregate at the park to enjoy the view.
http://apps2.coj.net/parksinternet/parkdetails.asp?parkid=354






13. Greenscape Celebration Park



Quote
Greenscape Celebration Park is at the end of the LaSalle Street facing the water of the St. John`s River. It serves as an outlook to the River. In 2007, the bulkhead was repaired. Renovations to the Pocket Park in 2009 makes this park a more aesthetically pleasing place to enjoy the view of the river.
http://apps2.coj.net/parksinternet/parkdetails.asp?parkid=389






14. Jim Rink Park



Quote
Property is located at the end of Cedar Street. Ordinance 2002-503: Property declared property surplus land. November 5,2003: Parks Department formally request property. July 2005:Renovations to the pocket park begin; the renovations include an original Enzo Torcoletti granite and marble sculpture titled "Coming Home" and a bench for viewing the waterway. The funds were appropriated from Council District 5`s Better Jacksonville Bond funds. In 2007: Repair is being conducted on the Bulkhead.
http://apps2.coj.net/parksinternet/parkdetails.asp?parkid=361



Photographs by Ennis Davis


 PREV 1 2 3 4