The Law Offices of Eddie Farah have announced plans to renovate the historic Kress Building and convert the former Lerner Shops site into an urban courtyard.
When the S.H. Kress Company opened its new store on the corner of Main and Adams Streets in 1912, it claimed that this was the largest of all of the Kress stores and was probably the third largest "five, ten and twenty-five cent store" in the world at that time. The store featured an internal telephone system, a lunch counterm an information booth, and a tea room (on the mezzanine). Like many other downtown commercial structures, the first-floor facade of this building was severely altered in later years. In 1980, the Wilson Financial Corporation acquired the Kress Building and renovated it for office space. Although the original storefront could not be replaced, the brick and ornamental stone of the upper story were matched to create an entirely new but harmonious first-story facade.Source: Jacksonville's Architectural Heritage, page 74
Farah & Farah is located at the intersection of Adams and Main Streets.
The adjacent site of the former Lerner Shop building will become an enclosed outdoor courtyard for Farah & Farah.
Proposed Site Plan
North Elevation (Adams Street)
East Elevation (Main Street)
South Elevation (courtyard)
Proposed entrance to courtyard
Development Update by Ennis Davis