As part of then City of Jacksonville's Town Center Program, commercial corridors in the older parts of the city are being revitalized one by one to enhance their appearance. The latest corridor to break ground is at the Shoppes of Avondale, on St John's Avenue.
The Town Center Program is intended to revitalize older neighborhoods by providing planning, design and infrastructure improvements to public spaces along key business areas and corridors. The goals of this program are to:
- Enhance both the visual appeal and physical infrastructure in older neighborhoods' commercial areas and corridors;
- Feature community visioning and planning;
- Encourage public/private partnerships;
- Leverage public dollars by coordination with the Better Jacksonville Plan improvements in the areas; and
- Encourage renewal of old commercial areas that in turn will aid and serve the residential uses.
Renderings of the Complete Project
Avondale Vision Plan
Update by Steve Congro