Fresh off the success of River City Marketplace, Ramco-Gershenson Properties Trust is poised to bring another shopping center to Jacksonville's growing Northside.
Situated at the interchange of I-95 and Airport Road, Parkway Shops is the latest major retail development proposed for Jacksonville.
- Parkway Shops is anticipated to cost as much as $30 million to construct.
- Parkway Shops will add an additional 365,000 square feet of retail space to the Northside.
- Construction is expected to begin Summer 2011.
- Construction is expected to be completed by Spring 2012.
- Only 32 acres of the site's 153.5 acres are usable. The rest are wetlands.
For more information: http://www.rgpt.com/newdevelopments/parkway/
The proposed $9.5 million Shands Jacksonville North will be located directly across the street from Parkway Shops.
Metro Jacksonville's Analysis
While additional retail and development is good for the Northside, the city continues to miss the opportunity to direct the private sector in developing and promoting sustainable walkable development through new construction.
If properly coordinated and regulated through zoning and land use, the entire River City Marketplace area could become a vibrant walkable "town center" for the Northside that would be connected to the rest of the city with its very own commuter rail station.
Shands proposed North Medical Campus.
Between River City Marketplace, Shands and Parkway Shops, Jacksonville had the opportunity to build a walkable mixed-use district adjacent to a proposed JTA commuter rail station at Main Street & Airport Center Drive. Once again, it appears another opportunity to embrace sustainability and walkability will slip through our hands.
Article by Ennis Davis