Urban Neighborhoods: North ShoreMarch 30, 2009 20 comments Print Article
Considered a part of Metro North, North Shore grew as a result of residential expansion north out of downtown and Springfield during the first half of the twentieth century.
The neighborhoods commonly referred to, as Norwood and Northshore were a result of numerous plats filed between 1912 and 1940. Developers associated with some of these early Northshore plats included the Brown Realty Company, P.T. Schafer, Bryson Livestock Company, James W. & Louise C. Edmondson, David Davis, Pearl Lee and William A. Lowery. During the 1930's many of the houses being built in such areas as Northshore tended to be smaller and more scaled down than their predecessors designed in the earlier Victorian and Revival styles. These residences were constructed to meet the housing needs of the growing middle class population of Jacksonville many who were taking advantage of the Federal Housing Authority's guaranteed mortgages.
-General History of Metro North- Joel McEachin, Senior Historic Preservation Planner, Jacksonville Planning and Development Department
A tributary of the St. Johns River, the Trout River forms the northern border of North Shore.
Did You Know?
Northshore was originally platted as Tallulah, in 1879, by Jeremiah Fallausbee. An American Indian name, Tallulah means "leaping water." Despite being one of the oldest recorded plats in the city, the area would remain sparsely populated until the Great Fire of 1901.
North Shore Park lies nestled between Pearl Street and the Trout River in the North Shore neighborhood of north Jacksonville. Mainly farms and lumber/naval stores operations occupied the area through most of the 1800’s. The original park was included and named on the original plat of North Shore in 1915. After the City annexed the area in 1925, it later expanded the park by acquiring adjacent property in 1943 and 1944. The park contained picnic facilities and a boat landing in 1969, and an asphalt walking trail and stone benches were added in 1987. Though the park now provides a children’s play area, it is largely an attractive, passive park overlooking the river, where visitors may relax and picnic under a canopy of oak trees and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
Photos by Daniel Herbin
20 Comments so farJump into the conversation