Monday, September 1, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Don Shea, the new guy with the Civic Council.  (Read 4752 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Don Shea, the new guy with the Civic Council.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 09:44:08 PM »
I think his success will be determined by the Civic Council.  Will they listen to him or will they view and treat him as a puppet to conduct their agenda?

tufsu1

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »
I do wonder why Barton hasn't been able to recreate the magic that St. Pete has and still enjoys?  Any ideas?

well for one he got here just as the market was about to dive...and as for St. Pete, Baywalk (their showplace of the early 2000's) is nearly dead

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 10:39:04 PM »
He was here at least three boom years before the market really dived around 2008.  Personally, I think the JEDC had too much on their plate to truly make downtown a priority.  After all, they're trying to attract economic development to a city that is the size of a county.  A place as small as DT can easily get lost in the process.

Speaking of Baywalk, Muvico's CEO just blasted the complex's owner today:

ST. PETERSBURG — For months, the operators of BayWalk have weathered criticism about why they aren't filling up downtown's desolate retail complex with the tenants it needs to survive.

Now they are getting blasted by the last remaining anchor tenant, Muvico Theaters, for not maintaining the complex well enough to encourage new tenants or entice customers to visit remaining attractions.

Neil Bretan, CEO of Muvico Theaters, said he visited BayWalk two weeks ago and didn't like what he saw. He said it needs a new paint job, new lights and signs, and new escalators.

"I've never seen an escalator rot," Bretan said. "The gaskets seem to be disintegrating. Wind-blown debris had gathered on it. It's got to be more inviting than that. You need curb appeal."

From 2004 to 2009, Muvico's attendance at BayWalk has dropped by more than 50 percent.
By comparison, attendance is down by an average of 2 percent at the chain's other eight theaters.
full article: http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/as-baywalk-sits-empty-major-tenant-muvico-blasts-complexs-neglect/1112014

Anyway, Baywalk's problems have to do more with poor ownership.  I know at one point, they were having an issue with crime and rowdy teenagers.  Nevertheless, unless something has changed overnight, the retail, dining and entertainment options along Beach Dr. and Central Avenue seemed to be doing pretty well.

stjr

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 11:22:38 PM »
Recreation areas that may include parks, bike lanes, and activities related to the waterfront should not be overlooked.

Mr. Shea looks good to me.  I have posted this point about Downtown on other MJ threads often.  This will foster residential development downtown.  Plain and simple.  Couldn't take issue with any of the other quotes that Stephen highlighted either.

I am not sure what to think.

Funding a theatre expansion doesn't really get anyone past demolishing a downtown to make parking lots.

Seems like more of the same to me.

Chris, I think if you go back and read the article about this, Mr. Shea had nothing to do with the demolition for parking.  To the contrary, he was lamenting the losses, saying the appeal of Shreveport to the film industry was the diversity of its buildings, implying he valued historic structures.  The demos were done by private land owners in the absence of policies prohibiting them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:30:10 AM by stjr »
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

CS Foltz

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 06:52:37 AM »
It would seem to me, that convincing the powers that be is going to be key on any downtown revival. I think Mr Shea has a vision (no one else, other than the MJ posters seems to) and hope to heck he does........something needs to be done and needs to be done soon! Options may open up with the return of the Ship Yards to the City!

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 08:26:41 AM »
Recreation areas that may include parks, bike lanes, and activities related to the waterfront should not be overlooked.

Mr. Shea looks good to me.  I have posted this point about Downtown on other MJ threads often.  This is will foster residential development downtown.  Plain and simple.  Couldn't take issue with any of the other quotes that Stephen highlighted either.

I am not sure what to think.

Funding a theatre expansion doesn't really get anyone past demolishing a downtown to make parking lots.

Seems like more of the same to me.

Chris, I think if you go back and read the article about this, Mr. Shea had nothing to do with the demolition for parking.  To the contrary, he was lamenting the losses, saying the appeal of Shreveport to the film industry was the diversity of its buildings, implying he valued historic structures.  The demos were done by private land owners in the absence of policies prohibiting them.

Well then I stand corrected and look forward to seeing what Mr. Shea accomplishes here.

JSquared

billy

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »
Any idea where will guy be located as far as workspace?

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 03:59:39 PM »
The link above is another great article by Abel Harding.

The Jacksonville Civic Council (JCC), a non-partisan group of top business leaders that advocates for issues it deems important to the city's future, recently hired Don Shea to serve as its first executive director.

Shea has extensive experience in downtown development, previously heading organizations in St. Petersburg, Jackson, Miss., and New Orleans. He serves as head of the Downtown Development Authority for Shreveport, La.

In an interview with The Times-Union Shea discussed his plans for the JCC.

What drew you to Jacksonville?
It's big enough to ensure there are lots of things to work on. I think there are also statewide issues that are very impactful to Jacksonville. We'll be able to collaborate with other groups around the state on issues, such as insurance reform and pension reform, to have a better impact in Tallahassee.

What attracted you to the JCC?
First, it's something of a start-up, in the sense that it's adding staff for the first time. And, secondly, I'm excited about the creativity you have to exercise and to ingrain a new organization into the fabric of the city. I've seen a lot of ideas that work and some that don't, and in an environment like Jacksonville, there's an opportunity to make things happen.

What will your role be?
The group is made up of people who all have their own businesses to run. My job will be to wake up every day worrying about the JCC.

What are some of the challenges you'll face?
The total mission and agenda isn't quite yet defined, as far as priority projects, although there are a few that have been discussed, such as education, city budget issues and keeping the Jaguars. We'll try to figure out what role we should take on issues, who the partners ought to be, who the leaders ought to be and how we can be a part of the team.

Do you see the JCC helping with Jaguars ticket sales?
They certainly want to help and are looking for some direction. I hope to focus in on the issue and make some recommendations.

With all of the challenges Jacksonville is facing, do you think there is a danger for the JCC in trying to tackle too many issues?

We can't spread ourselves too thin, particularly for a new group. It's really important to pick one or two victories that we can score to prove to the other partners that we mean business. It's really important that we are accurately perceived as an asset to the whole fabric of the community.

The JCC made a concerted effort to include women and minorities in forming the group, but it is somewhat of an exclusive group. Do you see that as a challenge as you look to impact issues?

If this group is going to have a chance of being accepted as a contributor to improving the quality of life, it's got to be perceived as inclusive of all points of view. My role will be one of communicating - ensuring the public and private sector communicate and that we communicate with all sectors of the community. A community is best served by getting as many noses as possible under the tent.

When do you start?

My first day will be Sept. 13. My wife has been on realtor.com something fierce and we're getting our arms around the neighborhoods and figuring out where we want to live. We'll be house-hunting in the next couple of weeks.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

CS Foltz

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »
I am trying to keep an open mind. Not really sure why the JCC went the route of hiring an outsider, but no one can say he is on the inside .....atleast yet! When he starts, maybe he will show an agenda.....makes me wonder just what his stance is regarding "Rail"? I would wonder about other things also, but think I will wait and see just what he says or does!

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
http://jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=531610

by Karen Brune Mathis
Managing Editor

Don Shea said he had a question when he was sought out to consider the job as inaugural executive director of the Jacksonville Civic Council.

“If they are wanting to mobilize a CEO group in order to have more of a strong role in the whole economic development delivery system, does that mean some other agency wasn’t doing its job particularly well?” he wondered.

Shea, departing executive director of the Shreveport Downtown Development Authority in Louisiana, said that turned out not to be the case.

Instead, the 50-member group wanted a new way to lend its guidance to city issues.

“This group of CEOs would like to collectively or synergistically use its influence to help advance the whole economic development agenda,” said Shea.

That agenda could include race relations, public education, the municipal budget, “even saving the Jaguars,” he said.

“Those things have been articulated as initiatives,” said Shea.

Starting Sept. 13, Shea, 58, will become the Jacksonville Civic Council’s first executive director, working directly for JCC Chairman Peter Rummell and the group’s executive committee. JCC comprises community leaders who started the council early this year after the former Jacksonville Non-Group ended after 10 years.

Members pay dues, based on their corporate size, to fund the council.

Among Shea’s other questions about the JCC was what the group wanted to accomplish. “Half a dozen initiatives were articulated, including downtown revitalization,” he said.

Shea isn’t a stranger to city planning, or to Jacksonville city leaders. As president and CEO of the St. Petersburg Downtown Partnership, he said he worked with Ron Barton, former director of economic development for St. Petersburg and now executive director of the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission.

“We have been trading phone calls since my second interview,” said Shea. “I am looking forward to collaborating with the JEDC and Ron.”

Shea said he also has known Downtown Vision Inc. Executive Director Terry Lorince for 15 years.

“Don will bring a lot of experience, energy and best practices from other cities to Jacksonville,” said Lorince. “We look forward to working with him.”

A Massachusetts native, Shea’s professional planning and development background starts with a degree from the University of Massachusetts and then a Master of City Planning degree from Harvard University.

His professional travels took him around the east and southeast, starting with the Boston Redevelopment Authority and then the city of Methuen, Mass.

He then opened Donald A. Shea Associates before joining Medical Area Service Corp. in Boston and then headed south to Florida to Tartan Development Corp. in Winter Park. Shea next moved to New Orleans to run the Downtown Development District and then the New Orleans Medical Complex.

After serving as president of Capital Center Inc. in Jackson, Miss., he joined the St. Petersburg Downtown Partnership as its president and CEO in 2001, moving to Shreveport in 2007.

Shea also is a 20-year member of the International Downtown Association and served as its chair in 2004-2005

Shea said he was approached by the search firm engaged by the civic council. “I had never heard of the JCC,” he said. “I remember the day that happened. The first phone call was on April 20. It was the same day as the Gulf oil leak.”

Shea said he wasn’t in the market to move, “but this is an offer and an opportunity that is irresistible for a person like me, to work with these 50 or so people can really be a great way to get things done.”

Shea and his wife, Dianne, have three grown children between them. They’re house-hunting in Jacksonville, and will move with their two dogs, a border collie named Jazz and “a brown dog of various origins” named Rex.

Shea names several possible residential areas of interest, including near the University of North Florida.

Shea said his office could be in the Haskell building in Riverside or on the UNF campus. Steve Halverson, president and CEO of Haskell, is a founder of the civic council.

“My indication is toward UNF because I don’t want to give the impression that this is another ‘Downtown Vision.’ I don’t want to be in Terry’s turf,” he said, although downtown revitalization is “one of the legs of our JCC stool.”

He intends to “get in there, collaborate with people, communicate with people and make something happen.”

He’s already signed up for the Jacksonville Regional Chamber of Commerce’s 30th Annual Leadership Trip Oct. 12-14 to Indianapolis.

Shea said he likely would need at least a part-time administrative assistant. He said he didn’t know whether a research position would be hired or contracted.

“My job is to be outside my office. If I am in my office too much, I am not doing my job,” he said.

kmathis@baileypub.com

356-2466
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

billy

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 06:37:34 AM »
Any contact information available for either Mr. Shea, or any word on where his office will be?

billy

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2010, 12:44:11 PM »
Any word on what the group/ Mr. Shea is up to?

stjr

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 12:46:24 AM »
Any word on what the group/ Mr. Shea is up to?

I attended an event awhile back in which Peter Rummell spoke and my impression is the group is trying to set its priorities and strategies.  How long that takes, who knows?
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

marksjax

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 05:19:38 AM »
I am hopeful this group will do great work. It is already focused on Downtown as one of it's early areas of interest so I have read.
You should know that Peter Rummell was the guy who pretty much put the Super Bowl together. He made it happen.
I had the pleasure of working at Sawgrass when he was the GM years ago and I was impressed with how well he interacted with his employees. Super smart guy who gets things done. A true visionary really.
Had he been tasked with turning around Downtown and given the billion dollars we have spent to do it with we would not be in the situation we are in now.
So, there is your solution to fixing Downtown: get Peter Rummell to do it and make sure the politicians and bureaucrats are kept out of the decision process. Jack Nicklaus, St. Joe and Disney didn't hire him by mistake.
Just my $.02.
Regards, Mark Hemphill