Author Topic: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play  (Read 20389 times)

Murder_me_Rachel

Re: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
Their preference is a place that will make it rain free money, property and tax incentives for their business. 

I dont think this is the end-all for their decision. Just a hunch but I believe they want a major commitment from their future site, but not necessarily in terms of tax breaks. Their continued emphasis on creative thinking suggests that they would welcome commitment to significant investments that would help a community meet their needs. Ie, significant investment into mass transit, into luring more tech professionals, into improving educational infrastructure, etc. I think there are many ways to skin this cat...although you still have to be in the same ballpark tax-wise.

Hey, Jeff Bezos called to thank you for carrying his water and being super credulous as to the motives of a billion dollar corporation.  I also think it's cute you think they give even one half of a shit about anything other than the bottom line. 

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2017, 11:24:27 PM »
Their preference is a place that will make it rain free money, property and tax incentives for their business. 

I dont think this is the end-all for their decision. Just a hunch but I believe they want a major commitment from their future site, but not necessarily in terms of tax breaks. Their continued emphasis on creative thinking suggests that they would welcome commitment to significant investments that would help a community meet their needs. Ie, significant investment into mass transit, into luring more tech professionals, into improving educational infrastructure, etc. I think there are many ways to skin this cat...although you still have to be in the same ballpark tax-wise.

Hey, Jeff Bezos called to thank you for carrying his water and being super credulous as to the motives of a billion dollar corporation.  I also think it's cute you think they give even one half of a shit about anything other than the bottom line.

Ummm, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're having a bad day here. As for what I said, I did not and am not suggesting it's not about the bottom line. I'm simply saying strictly looking at tax breaks doesn't dictate what is best for the bottom line. It's cute that you want to share your opinions on things like running a business when you're seemingly quite out of your depth.

ralpho37

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »
I sent the Mayor's office an email as well. Have not heard back.

jlmann

« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »
cant muster a care about this one as we stand zero chance. 

TOP TECH TALENT. Jax?  LOLLLL.

Our population is suited to fill warehouse jobs and amazon will leave it at that.  Mayor has better things to do than entertain delusions

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
I'm curious if our lack of public discourse from the mayors office is because he and Khan are hatching out a way to incorporate it into the Shipyards deal.  And let's just toss in some of the District in their good measure.  And why not some of the area east of the stadium?  They were at one time part of a 5 tower proposal back in the mid 2000's.

I mean if we are going to dream the implausible, why not go big about it?   

Of course, we aren't going to offer a viable financial package so it's barely worth throwing our hat in the ring.

MusicMan

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
"cant muster a care about this one as we stand zero chance. "

That was a majority opinion regarding Jacksonville getting an NFL franchise, too. 

You have to try. Then when the next opportunity like this comes along we'll be better prepared.

CityLife

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »
I don't think the Mayor is under any obligation to inform citizens of possible behind the scenes efforts to put together an Amazon proposal, and it's probably best strategically if they keep a potential proposal under wraps.

I ran into an acquaintance yesterday that is a tech leader in one of the places that has been mentioned as a viable candidate. He's working closely with various economic development groups in his area on the Amazon proposal and they are all in on it. However, they are extremely concerned that the cost of real estate and lack of available office space in key potential locations will ultimately kill their chances.   

After hearing that, it made me think that Jax does actually stand a chance to make a shortlist, if it can put together the proposal I mentioned earlier in the thread. Find temporary spots for the initial 500k square feet downtown (or fast track new towers). Partner with Khan and Rummel to locate the possible 8 million square feet at The Shipyards and The District. Propose to expand the Skyway to the Stadium/Shipyards and continue it across the river to the District, along with a bike/pedestrian bridge. Offer up REV grants and tax abatements on the properties, and get the state to offer up their share (which they will likely do for any Amazon pitch in the state). Highlight the new Intuition, potential renovation of the Doro building, adjacent stadiums, arena, and amphitheater, Exchange Island, and Hogan's Creek Greenway/Emerald Necklace Opportunities.

Because of the availability of prime waterfront land, DT Jax does have one of the most ripe areas for redevelopment in the country with the $5 billion that Amazon will be throwing down on construction. Ultimately, its a huge uphill battle with other constraints at play, but it would make a great statement to the country, region, and state if Jax could make one of the shortlists.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »

Ummm, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're having a bad day here. As for what I said, I did not and am not suggesting it's not about the bottom line. I'm simply saying strictly looking at tax breaks doesn't dictate what is best for the bottom line. It's cute that you want to share your opinions on things like running a business when you're seemingly quite out of your depth.

Yes, I am so out of depth that I think that Amazon cares about its bottom line profitability at that's it. Clearly you are in the shallow end doing fine, thinking that they give two fucks about "commitment" to technology investments or some such BS.  As we see again and again across all sectors, all that matters is who will pay a business to come do business in their city.  But, you're right, I am sooooooo out of my depth. I totally dont have any knowledge on this very simple and obvious proposition.  They'll totally take less in tax breaks because Tucson says "hey we are going to put wi-fi on our mass transit!"

CityLife

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »
Are you suggesting they would locate in Buffalo over Austin, if Buffalo provides a $500 million incentive package and Austin provides a $450 million incentive package?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
They'd end up in Canada if that's all the money an american city could muster up. Someplace is going to offer billions.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »
Those were just hypothetical numbers for discussion purposes. They will no doubt get offers in the billions.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »
Yes, I am so out of depth that I think that Amazon cares about its bottom line profitability at that's it. Clearly you are in the shallow end doing fine, thinking that they give two fucks about "commitment" to technology investments or some such BS.  As we see again and again across all sectors, all that matters is who will pay a business to come do business in their city.  But, you're right, I am sooooooo out of my depth. I totally dont have any knowledge on this very simple and obvious proposition.  They'll totally take less in tax breaks because Tucson says "hey we are going to put wi-fi on our mass transit!"

I'm not one to pick fights (and in this case I don't think I was the one doing that) so I'd normally just let your post sit in its ignorance, but I'll try one last time to at least clarify the part of this that might be a misunderstanding. Ennis' argument was that Amazon will pick the proposal with the largest tax incentive amongst cities that can meet their needs (or that that would be 90% of the decision). My argument was that while that might happen, I think there's a chance they would consider other significant factors that all CONTRIBUTE TO THE BOTTOM LINE.

And yes, we could look at wifi on mass transit and assign a value to that. A company like Amazon will probably do that in fact.

You speak with a lot more certainty than even experts or insiders with knowledge are using. Just an observation.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
Why can't we all just admit that no one here has a clue and most of you are just talking out of your asses?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
I'm pretty confident that they'll select a place that offers an incentive package worth billions. In fact, I'd bet the house on that. That's about the only thing I'd be willing to go out on a limp.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »
If I were Amazon, I would look at sites through three types of criteria:

(1) Those that are uncontrollable or close to that (e.g. geography, natural features [such as weather], population, etc.)
(2) Those that are immediately controllable/available (e.g. tax incentives, training, affordably real estate, etc.), and
(3) Those that might possibly be controllable/available over a moderate to longer period of time (infrastructure, some social issues, mass transit, airport connectivity, business and employment environment, technical workforce, quality of life, etc.).

I would then prioritize what is most important for the success of my business, factor in the probabilities of achieving the various controllable/available options (the longer it takes to control/make available, the lower its likely probability due to the higher risks of successfully executing over longer time periods), and weigh out the responses accordingly.  There may be some intangibles to overlay over the final analysis (chemistry with local and state officials, cultural issues, etc.).  My guess is there will be some obvious finalists, if not one above all others.

Jax might fare OK with criteria in (1) and (2) which I would weigh the most.  But in a tie breaker, Jax's issues may be (3), too many moderate to longer controllables/unavailables with lower probabilities, dragging our score down, along with a split decision on intangibles.  Amazon's doesn't seem to show much patience in executing its intentions so waiting around/hoping for future improvements when they can have them now is an issue.  Our saving grace would be if every site has weighted issues equal to ours making it a horse race like when we competed for the Jaguars.