Author Topic: A steam locomotive is buried below this downtown tower  (Read 1232 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A steam locomotive is buried below this downtown tower
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
A steam locomotive is buried below this downtown tower

The incredible account of building what was once Florida's tallest skyscraper around an entombed steam locomotive.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-jan-a-steam-locomotive-is-buried-below-this-downtown-tower

KenFSU

Re: A steam locomotive is buried below this downtown tower
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
Great piece, John!

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Tacachale

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »
This is a *really* cool article. Who is the author? I didn't see it up there the link.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

finehoe

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »
This is cool.  But what a missed opportunity for a great tourist attraction.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »
This is a *really* cool article. Who is the author? I didn't see it up there the link.

Mike Field put the article together. The narrative was provided by John C. Christian. John is a longtime Jacksonville resident, history buff and a former employee of Raymond International. He's credited at the end of the article.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

finehoe

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:12:20 PM »
But what a missed opportunity for a great tourist attraction.

I'm envisioning something like this, but still underground in the original location:

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:22:34 PM »
Super reading and a really far out article.
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

spuwho

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
Great article.

There is a 1845 steam engine under Atlantic Avenue on Long Island.

There is a 1919 steam shovel under the 40 yard line at Memorial Stadium at University of Illinois.

There used to be a 1912 electric train engine under Chicago, but they pulled it out when Lake Shore Drive was moved.

There is a 1975 human under the the parking lot at Met Life Stadium, where the south end zone for the  Meadowlands was.  :) :)

MajorCordite

• MajorCordite
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
Thanks KenFSU and Tacachale.  Mike put this article together from three previous articles I wrote about this steam locomotive and other artifacts I found at the site.  I have been a member of this group for years.  I haven't been here in awhile due to other groups that I moderate on the Internet.  I wish Mike would have placed my name at the beginning of the article because he has shared this article in several other places and there are many folks contacting me asking me if I have read this article.  Several people believe that Ennis wrote it because his name appears under the first photograph and several people contacted me believing that Mike is narrating the story, even though he placed my name at the end of the article.   Thanks for the kind comments.
MajorCordite
\\\"...there is a portion of humanity that dwells in the slough of human ignorance.  It is a swamp that can not be drained, but still we must not lessen our obligation to help those to understand.\\\"

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
^Great article MajorCordite. I'll add your name to the top and bottom of the article.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 12:10:38 AM »
Really nice history lesson and its much appreciated. The 34th and 35th floors have some awesome views.