Author Topic: Live blogging DIA  (Read 72461 times)

dougskiles

Re: Live blogging DIA
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2012, 11:31:51 AM »
Tomorrow's meeting will be about the CRA plan.  This is a huge deal.

Next week (11/27), DIA will be discussing the parking ordinance (another big deal).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:05:39 PM by dougskiles »

tufsu1

« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
ah, so these are DIA committee meetings?

Noone

« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
PACKED house in here.  Mayor is being photographed at this very moment. 

Virtually every City Dept is represented. 

Fever pitch in the room.

34 days later. First DIA committee meeting that will guide the entire direction of the CRA. Will it be packed or empty?
Anyone going?

Is councilwoman Lee OK? She is supposed to be on the agenda for the next DIA Board meeting for Hemming Plaza. We all know what happened with the committee meeting for Hemming Plaza. I wonder if I need to bring my own chair.

Any update on the missing parking meeting guy 2012-674? Obviously the strategy is working because it's moving through council.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:24:00 PM by Noone »

dougskiles

« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »
Any update on the missing parking meeting guy 2012-674? Obviously the strategy is working because it's moving through council.

Are you talking about Jack Shad?  He presented at the last meeting (first on the agenda).

I assure you that he is not missing.

Noone

« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2012, 04:31:33 AM »
No, it's not Jack Shad. 

Anyone going?
This is a Huge committee meeting first floor city hall 2pm.
Just under 10 hours out. Strategy meeting for the super expanded CRA.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2012, 12:52:13 PM »
Thanks to all of you who can attend and keep urban core issues in the forefront.  They need to hear from those of us who live in the urban core.  Wish some of these meetings were in the evening, but very grateful to those whose schedules can be rearranged and be flexible enough to bring the story and keep those of us who can't attend abreast of things.

Noone

« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »
The first committee meeting of our new DIA  and the strategy for our CRA had me leaving the meeting with St. Johns River written on my hand and my new best Friend is DIA Board member Tony Allegretti. I've got a gut feeling were going to be FIND buddies and the timing couldn't be better.

There were only 4 people in attendance from the Public. Besides myself I recognized Doug Skiles, and councilwoman Lori Boyer. Committee chair Melody Bishop ran a great meeting and opened it up to everyone that wanted to participate. Mr. Harris and Mr. Allegretti were the only extra DIA Board members that attended this meeting in addition to Paul Perez.

One of the highlights for me and a shocker is that TIF as a potential funding source won't be available till 2017. Can that be true?

Sound like we need to FIND FIND now. During Public Comment I mentioned FIND also 2009-442 and mentioned that the administration is now aware of this pre TIF 2017 Bennie for Downtown.

So who wants to Make a scene in a Post Thanksgiving day paddle Downtown. Special shout out to my new Best Friend. Or anyone else who wants to write a check for even a buck to supporting (Local) the Artificial Reef Trust Fund that will tell the world that we are joining Mayor Brown in making Downtown a Destination and not a pass through on our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »
Thanks for the update, Noone.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Noone

« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »
No problem. Hope the MJ team may be able to make some of the future ones and not just the bells and whistle photo ops.

Doug, Hope you share some perspective.

A new Authority.
Embrace it.
Or
It will embrace us.

Lake or anyone, How about the TIF remark?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
Yes. MJ is bigger than just four or five guys. I'm happy to see everyone involved. Considering i'm not from Jacksonville, it helps me keep track of what's going on when I'm out of town spending time with my family for the holidays.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

dougskiles

« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
Downtown has two TIFs - Southbank and Northbank.  The Southbank TIF is generating close to 2 million per year in revenue.  The Northbank TIF is negative.  I previously thought that was because the taxable value is lower now than when it was setup.  But apparently that is not the case.  It is negative because of debt from past projects. Which projects, I don't know.  This is something that needs to be understood and addressed.  Not so that we can blame anyone, so that we can learn (hopefully) from past experience.

Steve Lovett was the other attending at the DIA meeting.  He provided valuable remarks at the end about the need to set policy FIRST and then evaluate action based on how well it aligns with policy.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
That's interesting news about the Northbank TIF.  I wonder how much debt remains and how long it will take to pay off, based on the current set up.

vicupstate

« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
Hasn't some of the TIF funds from the past been diverted to other things?  I remember reading that not so long ago. 

Lake, I assume the debt level won't decrease significantly until 2017.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »
If I remember what Paul Crawford* said at a recent Urban Core CPAC meeting, the Northbank TIF will be negative until 2017.  He rattled off a list of projects, but I didn't take notes and don't remember what they are.

* What is Paul's status now that a new Downtown Czar (sorry) has been hired?  Is Paul still around?

sheclown

« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »
Yes, the 2017 date is my understanding from the CPAC meeting as well.  And it is from the debt of yesterday's projects.  Apparently those projects will begin to repay the fund in 2017.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:17:41 PM by sheclown »