Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 868540 times)

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8085 on: January 12, 2017, 09:53:17 AM »
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

pierre

« Reply #8086 on: January 12, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Didn't take long for what I think will be the theme of Coughlin's return to come up in the presser.

Accountability.

That was definitely lacking the last four years.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #8087 on: January 12, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
Chargers to LA.

I feel for San Diego.

Yeah, it sucks that they refused to enrich a billionaire on their dime and that that greedy a-hole up and left. 

"But the relocation circus of the last two years never had a whit to do with what the people of Los Angeles wanted, or for that matter with football. It had everything to do with the arms race among owners to build the most futuristic and opulent stadiums possible, which began in earnest in 2005, when the City of Arlington broke ground on Jerry Jones’s $1.2 billion palace in Dallas. It opened in 2009 as the sport’s first ten-figure stadium. The Jets and Giants owners topped that just the next year, with the ribbon-cutting at the $1.6 billion MetLife Stadium. Then came the $1.3 billion Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara in 2014, and the $1.1 billion U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis for 2016. And next year will bring the $1.5 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

These buildings are in use no more than a couple dozen days each year, and they are built, in most cases, with substantial contributions from taxpayers. They are incapable of achieving many of their supposed purposes—creating economic stimulus, providing public space—but they sure make imposing if not especially enduring monuments to NFL owners. (“Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”)
An observer from outside the sports world could reasonably conclude that the NFL is in actuality a trade group for land barons, and that the game of football is a front. Most owners seem to aspire to little more than keeping up with the Joneses—Jerry and Stephen, in this case. Each new stadium and each renovation pushes existing stadiums toward supposed obsolescence, hence the recent remodeling efforts at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, Arrowhead Stadium, Bank of America Stadium, and at New Era Field. Lambeau Field has been renovated twice since 2000. (Recall, also, that the supposed decrepitude of the Edward Jones Dome—it had fallen out of the “first-tier” of NFL stadiums—allowed the Rams to break their lease in 2015.) What’s better than a new building when fans are footing the bill?

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/12/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-relocation-stadium-frenzy

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:11:10 AM by Murder_me_Rachel »

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8088 on: January 12, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
"Why the hell are we here if it's not about winning?"  ~ Tom Coughlin 17-01-12
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

RattlerGator

« Reply #8089 on: January 12, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »
I thought it was a great press conference and flowed just as I expected it to flow. I think Marrone is in charge much more than people realize where it counts; in the coaching and down on the field. Coughlin is in charge of vetting Marrone's choices for various coaching positions and Caldwell's free agent targets, salary cap protocols, and player ranks for drafting, etc.

I'm very pleased.

And as for that L.A. Chargers piece in Sports Illustrated -- contrary to some of the discussion here, Jacksonville has actually been *VERY* enlightened in its dealing with Shad Khan and the utility we will get out of our stadium far exceeds that of most every other NFL venue.

E_Dubya

« Reply #8090 on: January 12, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
"Why the hell are we here if it's not about winning?"  ~ Tom Coughlin 17-01-12

Definitely a necessary 180 degree change in culture.

KenFSU

« Reply #8091 on: January 12, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

KenFSU

« Reply #8092 on: January 12, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »
P.S.

Just went to this post this in that horrible, depressing, 50-page "LA is coming to steal the Jaguars" post that haunted this forum, and the city, for years:

I wonder what the NFL is going to do without their Bogeyman?

London would be a logistical nightmare, and would be years away. Jerry Jones will do everything he can to block San Antonio. St. Louis has wiped their hands of the NFL. Toronto doesn't have the infrastructure. San Diego ain't paying for a new stadium. Oakland's only got eyes for the Raiders.

There aren't really a whole lot of viable relocation threats left to extort cities with.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #8093 on: January 13, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
Jags hire Joe DeCamillis as special teams coordinator, formerly of Denver.

Long career, well respected around the league, an appropriate response to the repeated muffed kicks and coverage breakdowns this season.

DeCamillis was the Jags' coordinator in 2007-08 when they had pretty strong coverage and return units, and also pulled off the Montell Owens fake punt TD against the Texans.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

pierre

« Reply #8094 on: January 13, 2017, 11:14:19 AM »
DeCamillis is a great hire.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8095 on: January 13, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
Most everything I've read has been positive, though his last season in Denver wasn't exactly great, but even though he's considered a solid coach, he's never been in any one place for too long.

I'm suspecting this is due to circumstances out of his control - i.e. coaching changes above his pay grade.

Other than having a practice facility being under construction, is there anything we should be concerned about this hire?
-Douglas Adams

spuwho

« Reply #8096 on: January 13, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
DeCamillis is a great hire.

Just dont let him into the new practice facility.  :)  He fractured his back in the Cowboys facility when it collapsed on him and 11 players.

May he have better circumstances in Jax!!

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #8097 on: January 13, 2017, 01:54:33 PM »
Most everything I've read has been positive, though his last season in Denver wasn't exactly great, but even though he's considered a solid coach, he's never been in any one place for too long.

I'm suspecting this is due to circumstances out of his control - i.e. coaching changes above his pay grade.

Other than having a practice facility being under construction, is there anything we should be concerned about this hire?

His frequent relocations seem to be more a function of head coach/GM turnover or of being in demand around the league, and not from any wearing out of welcomes or poor performances.  Denver media acknowledging this is a loss for the Broncos.

Tip of the hat on the practice facility reference.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

spuwho

« Reply #8098 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »
FYI, word is that former 49er head coach Chip Kelly was in town for talks with Coughlin this weekend.

RattlerGator

« Reply #8099 on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:03 AM »
If they can close the deal, this (Chip Kelly) is exciting news.