Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 833437 times)

sanmarcomatt

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8085 on: January 09, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
Bringing in someone from the outside like Coughlin is a positive step. Perhaps the arrogant fools finally recognize that what they are doing is not working.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8086 on: January 09, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Not the guy that I wanted, but he wasn't even getting interviewed anyhow. 

The simple fact remains the same, I don't care who the coach is as long as we're winning. 

I guess the new pecking order will be Coughlin, Caldwell (who also got an extension) and Marrone as the new HC.  I think who they bring in to actually coach will be interesting.  Do they keep the coordinators and position coaches since they already have a 'working' relationship with Marrone or do they completely clean house?

Edit:

Welp... that didn't take long to find an answer to that side of the ball...Defensive side stays intact.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:07:55 PM by Non-RedNeck Westsider »
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8087 on: January 09, 2017, 06:24:33 PM »
So what will be the overall feeling in Everbank with so many defensive players coming out after the fact criticising the 'scheme', usage, etc, only to find out that there aren't going to be any changes on that side of the ball?

Hmmmmmm......
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

spuwho

« Reply #8088 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
Word on the street is the interview questions consisted of one.

"Will you keep Bortles as QB?"

Any candidate that said yes, was considered.

Any candidate that said no, was bounced. Most said no.

Smart money said they should have hired Coughlin, let him hire Josh McDaniels, traded for Garrapolo (who already knows his offense).

And the issues would be resolved in one swift stroke.

manasia

« Reply #8089 on: January 09, 2017, 08:04:03 PM »
Word on the street is the interview questions consisted of one.

"Will you keep Bortles as QB?"

Any candidate that said yes, was considered.

Any candidate that said no, was bounced. Most said no.

Smart money said they should have hired Coughlin, let him hire Josh McDaniels, traded for Garrapolo (who already knows his offense).

And the issues would be resolved in one swift stroke.

Good points.

Bringing in Tom is a great decision, keeping Marone and Caldwell not so much.

If anyone thinks that Bortles is the QB of our future, I hope your right and I am wrong. Because he has regressed this year.
The race is not always to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor satisfaction to the wise,
Nor riches to the smart,
Nor grace to the learned.
Sooner or later bad luck hits us all.

manasia

« Reply #8090 on: January 09, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
So what will be the overall feeling in Everbank with so many defensive players coming out after the fact criticising the 'scheme', usage, etc, only to find out that there aren't going to be any changes on that side of the ball?

Hmmmmmm......

This is a really good question...I would have loved to see the players private reactions to this hire.
Nor riches to the smart,

manasia

« Reply #8091 on: January 09, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »
Ah the  they didn't hire the coach I wanted, good bye you were never a fan to begin with.

Lmaooooooooooooooooo.

I am not a fan because I criticize the team............Yawn.......................

Nor riches to the smart,

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8092 on: January 09, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
17 wins in 5 years while tax payers being bilked for millions. How dare you be critical!

aldermanparklover

« Reply #8093 on: January 09, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »
We just moved here so it's going to take some time before we grow fond of the Jags ... but from outsiders looking in, I think the team needs a new owner. Someone who's primary interest is football greatness as their investment, not just making a buck off a football team.

If the leadership is good, the rest will follow.

manasia

« Reply #8094 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »
17 wins in 5 years while tax payers being bilked for millions. How dare you be critical!

True Story.
Nor riches to the smart,

KenFSU

« Reply #8095 on: January 10, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
This entire thing baffles me, and frankly doesn't give me much faith in those leading the charge. If they were interested in Marrone, why didn't they try him out sooner with Gus Bradley dying on the vine? Why did they hire an outside search firm if their goal was to maintain consistency for Bortles? And, perhaps most baffling of all, why wouldn't they control the message and release news of the Coughlin hire before news of the Marrone hire broke? It would have bought so much goodwill had that information leaked in reverse order.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8096 on: January 10, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »
Perhaps the firm doing the search came back and said in effect... No one really wants to work for Kahn/Caldwell...?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8097 on: January 10, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
If they were interested in Marrone, why didn't they try him out sooner with Gus Bradley dying on the vine?

There were no plans to make an in-season change until the Rams forced our hand. 

Why did they hire an outside search firm if their goal was to maintain consistency for Bortles?

I don't know what to think of this based on Caldwell stating that Bortles wasn't a requirement.  He has one year left and the draft is upcoming.  I don't see an issue here.

And, perhaps most baffling of all, why wouldn't they control the message and release news of the Coughlin hire before news of the Marrone hire broke?

Because Twitter.  The bigger question is how long has Coughlin actually 'had' the job and to what effect did it have on the other coaching hires?  Did they know that Coughlin was to be the EVP which would effectively kill any real weight on personnel. 

Another few thoughts: 
Were other teams asking about Marrone that might have played into us grabbing him first? 
Did the hot, new OCs want too much in the way of personnel decisions? 
With 3 year contracts, the leash is a helluva lot shorter than the Bradley hire.  That's great in terms of us cutting bait if this doesn't work out.
I'm interested to see how the Coughlin / Caldwell dynamic plays out.  They've both been hit and miss on talent evaluations (as has every GM since the beginning of time), but Caldwell's handling of contracts and cap space doesn't even compare to what I remember from Coughlin.  So the question begs, will they be able to work together or has Caldwell been relegated to a cap manager? 

-Douglas Adams

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #8098 on: January 10, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »
I'm not sure I get the mechanics that led up to the decision, but I'm okay with it (don't love it or hate it). My feeling was that if you were considering Marrone, give him more than 2 games to show you what he could do. I don't get that part of it. I'm not a McDaniels fan so I was conceptually okay with it, but by also announcing that you're keeping the defensive staff, it tells me that the organization believes there was one problem: Gus Bradley. I'm not going to sit here and tell you I thought he was good - clearly the evidence points otherwise. I'm just not convinced that he was the only issue.

KenFSU

« Reply #8099 on: January 10, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »
^Defensive staff may not all be safe after all, according to recent reports.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/