Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1116199 times)

KenFSU

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8070 on: January 10, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »
^Defensive staff may not all be safe after all, according to recent reports.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #8071 on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »
Ah the  they didn't hire the coach I wanted, good bye you were never a fan to begin with.

Lmaooooooooooooooooo.

I am not a fan because I criticize the team............Yawn.......................

Yawn, maybe you need a nap? Fans dont cx their tickets and pout b/c they couldnt have their way. Please find another hobby other than being friends with Nancy.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8072 on: January 10, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »

From BCC:
Todd Wash stays as defensive coordinator, all but one assistant fired

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8073 on: January 10, 2017, 06:15:30 PM »
Drain the Bank

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8074 on: January 10, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
And suspend Tony Khan's Twitter account.

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #8075 on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »

From BCC:
Todd Wash stays as defensive coordinator, all but one assistant fired

This I get even less. The D-Coordinator installs the scheme. Was it a scenario where Wash was in a scheme he didn't want to coach in forced by Bradley?

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8076 on: January 10, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
Probably. You do remember the travesty of the "search for a new DC", don't you?

pierre

« Reply #8077 on: January 11, 2017, 08:31:01 AM »
I am interested in seeing what Marrone does with the special teams coach.

They worked together in New Orleans. But the Jags special teams have been terrible in the four years under Mike Mallory.

I cannot remember a team with as many kicks blocked, punts returned on them for long gains/touchdowns, lining up wrong (twice in one game!). And the Jaguars had a delay of game on a kick return. Something that had not happened in the NFL in something like 30 years.

manasia

« Reply #8078 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
Ah the  they didn't hire the coach I wanted, good bye you were never a fan to begin with.

Lmaooooooooooooooooo.

I am not a fan because I criticize the team............Yawn.......................

Yawn, maybe you need a nap? Fans dont cx their tickets and pout b/c they couldnt have their way. Please find another hobby other than being friends with Nancy.

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll. This guy is funny.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:06:16 AM by manasia »
The race is not always to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor satisfaction to the wise,
Nor riches to the smart,
Nor grace to the learned.
Sooner or later bad luck hits us all.

manasia

« Reply #8079 on: January 11, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »
Here is an insightful article about everything from BigCat Country:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/1/10/14223658/jaguars-tom-coughlin-thoughts-doug-marrone-head-coach

It really brings everything into perspective, I guess the main thing here, is why wait so long to fire Gus? I am thinking the main reason why is because they did not secure Tom Coughlin until the later part of the year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:04:00 AM by manasia »
The race is not always to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor satisfaction to the wise,
Nor riches to the smart,
Nor grace to the learned.
Sooner or later bad luck hits us all.

pierre

« Reply #8080 on: January 11, 2017, 09:08:20 AM »
Here is an insightful article about everything from BigCat Country:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/1/10/14223658/jaguars-tom-coughlin-thoughts-doug-marrone-head-coach

It really brings everything into perspective, I guess the main thing here, is why wait so long to fire Gus? I am thinking the main reason why is because they did not secure Tom Coughlin until the later part of the year.

They blew it twice on not firing Gus.

They needed to fire him after 2015. They banked a turnaround not seen in the modern era.

And then not firing him after the Tennessee debacle on national TV. You had multiple analysts on TV that night saying the team quit on Gus.

And he keeps his job for two more months.

The whole situation was handled poorly. But that has been the hallmark of Khan's ownership. He's done some good things to the stadium, and helped give the team stable ownership.

But the product on the field has been awful and the team has bungled so many things.

RattlerGator

« Reply #8081 on: January 11, 2017, 05:18:26 PM »
I'm cool with the way everything played out and . . . No, the situation wasn't handled poorly.

Obviously, Gus wasn't fired earlier because Shad likes Gus. If you've paid attention and listened to people associated with the Jaguars, most everybody liked Gus. Shad clearly wanted to give him this year & thought he could turn it around. So did I. Clearly, he couldn't.

Then, Shad and the leadership had said there would not be an in-season change. Okay. But the schedule kept getting worse and I'm sure they were surprised (I sure as hell was).

Then the Rams fired their coach earlier than expected, and the NFL race was on to make a coaching change & try to line up a new head coach and (very important) staff the new crew. Things obviously expedited when multiple teams, including the Rams, expressed interest in hiring Marrone.

That, to me, sealed the deal.

We'll see how the news conference goes tomorrow but my suspicion is that Shad *also* likes Dave Caldwell and is bringing in Tom Coughlin as a two-fer: [1] to add an experienced voice knowledgeable about this area to the Jaguars operation, and [2] to add a supremely accomplished football man who can also (essentially) be the "finishing school" teacher for Caldwell. Coughlin would have been a disaster as a head coach the second time around here but . . . head of football operations? Yeah, that works.

As for the players, I don't want to hear a damn thing from them on what scheme we should be running, etc. Gus put up with a bunch of talking yang. He was too nice, too positive. We need some strong leaders capable of saying STFU and play your mudda fooking position.

spuwho

« Reply #8082 on: January 11, 2017, 09:13:48 PM »
This ESPN article sums it up well. Coughlin is running the show now. The lack of discpline in the Gus era was too much.

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/20681/theres-no-doubt-tom-coughlin-has-taken-control-of-the-jaguars

KenFSU

« Reply #8083 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:12 PM »
Chargers to LA.

I feel for San Diego.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8084 on: January 11, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »
Chargers to LA.

I feel for San Diego.

Yes and no.  The referendum wasn't even close; the voters spoke.

With the short-term memories people tend to have in this area, I'm afraid that if our relocation came down to a similar vote, we'd be losing the Jags, too.  Which is why, personally, I love the upgrades that Shad is making to the stadium, much of it on his own dime, because it helps extend the timeline for any 'new stadium' talk.  It's unfortunate that many don't see it that way and look at it as an expense as opposed to an investment.  Because I firmly believe we're a better city with the Jags than we would be without.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams