Author Topic: Suburban Jacksonville: Fleming Island  (Read 3906 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Suburban Jacksonville: Fleming Island
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:29:30 AM »
Suburban Jacksonville: Fleming Island

Metro Jacksonville takes a tour through one of Northeast Florida's booming suburbs: Fleming Island.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-aug-suburban-jacksonville-fleming-island

SunKing

Re: Suburban Jacksonville: Fleming Island
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:32:55 AM »
what was the history of the plantation?  what did they grow there and where was the original homestead located?

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:01:16 AM »
Glad you guys did this one. Always wanted to take a peek at this area.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:14:42 AM »
Flemming Island has a Pita Pit?? Are you kidding me? Why doesn't Jax have at least 5?

GayLA

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
.ahhhhh the moment we have all been waiting for. THE F.I. prevails!!! JACKSONVILLE GET OUT YOUR PEN AND PAD AND TAKE NOTES.

jandar

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »
The original plantation was called Hibernia and it was created with a 1000 acre land grant to George Fleming. Hibernia is Latin for Ireland, where George Fleming was from.

They grew Oranges and Flax mainly.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »
Flemming Island has a Pita Pit?? Are you kidding me? Why doesn't Jax have at least 5?

Funny you say that  ;)

My mom lives in Hibernia Plantation and my stepdad has lived in the area all of his life.  He is basically a walking history book on the area.  He has a GREAT book about the area in the civil war time, if any of you history buffs want to borrow it.

kells904

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
Anyone ever watch "Weeds" on Showtime?  Some of these pictures remind me of the theme song.

Shwaz

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
Anyone ever watch "Weeds" on Showtime?  Some of these pictures remind me of the theme song.

:D
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:20:56 PM »
Fleming Island's version of a town center seems an awful lot like your average shopping center from my experience. The stores and restaurants all seem to be set back to make room for the parking lots. The signage caters to automobiles rather than pedestrians. Really the SJTC is the only local town center that delivers any semblance of an actual walkable town feel, and even it has an abundance of asphalt. I hear Fleming Island is a nice place to live though, and I do like Mojo's BBQ.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 07:27:58 PM »

Fleming's "town center" is actually within Fleming Island Plantation's borders.  Its laid out similar to Disney's Celebration but mostly undeveloped.  The part that is developed is mostly vacant.  The stuff along CR 220 is nothing but strip malls.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:29:34 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »
Oh I see. So what's there is pretty good? I've only really spent time in the strip mall type stuff there. People I talk to love it out there except for the commute into Jacksonville.

stjr

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
Designed in an “Old Florida” architectural style, The Village Square is a 250,000 square foot, open promenade of stores, lunchtime eateries, cozy restaurants and offices for doctors, dentists and other professional services.

Looks like the only the thing "old Florida" about the architecture is "SAME OLD Florida" faux stucco strip mall approach.  Developers like this should be sued for failing to build what they promise!  Count me out of these mega developments.  And, remind me never to trust Centex to represent their product properly.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Arlingtondude

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
looks like every other bland stucco development in jax

copperfiend

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »
I know quite a few people that live in Fleming Island. They all like the area but not my cup of tea.