Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: JEA (Jacksonville Electric Authority) - HELP!!!  (Read 3658 times)

crains

• Let's be smoke free
JEA (Jacksonville Electric Authority) - HELP!!!
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »
If there are answers in this forum or you know of a link to other forums that will address my issues, please just post that instead of re-iterating the whole thing.

My mother was born in 1924 and has lived in Jacksonville since 1961. My dad died in 1996. To my knowledge she has never been late paying ANY of her debts and was always on time with JEA. If my ciphering is correct, she has been a customer in good standing with JEA for ~49 years.

Mom has scoliosis to the point where her left hip is located up under her ribcage. She has COPD and takes medication daily to help relieve the symptoms. On top of the shear number of years she has lived, she has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease.

All that being said, I am trying to help out the best that I can. I have a brother with a wonderful wife who helps out immensely. Needless to say our resources are already stretched to the max and adding her needs to our daily tasks is often overwhelming. I am in charge of paying most of the recurring bills and must take the blame for letting the electric bill slide 2 times to the point of disconnection. The issue was addressed both times on the day of the disco and power was restored both times in a timely manner.

OK… to the point… JEA has imposed an $800.00 deposit to her account and if not paid in full by Monday June 7, 2010 the electricity would be cut off again. My sister-in-law and I have called the 904-655-6000 number and both hit stone walls with rude women offering no assistance and no alternative to the issue. I called JEA in desperation last Friday and decided to see what the recorded message had to say. It offered an extension on paying the bill for 2 weeks (which oddly enough neither of the live women offered). Now… the extension is great, but I don’t believe that I can find the remainder of the balance due in that time extension.

What I need is a direct connection to a corporate officer of JEA (e.g. a Vice President) who can make a compassionate decision to resolve this issue. Also… if any of you are aware of any foundations in Jacksonville who can help my Mom out with this issue, it would be GREATLY appreciated… Thank you for your time in reading this and any help offered… cr

ESHC

Re: JEA (Jacksonville Electric Authority) - HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »
I would start with Eldersource: 391-6600 - they would have the best connections, information and ability to advocate for your mom (I am assuming she is over 60). They may also have additional resources for your family.  Two other agencies that have funds for utilities would be the Northeast Florida Community Action Agency (398-7472) and Catholic Charities (354-4846). These are the main numbers for all of the agencies so you may be redirected to an appointment or help line. 

duvaldude08

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:11:30 PM »
If there are answers in this forum or you know of a link to other forums that will address my issues, please just post that instead of re-iterating the whole thing.

My mother was born in 1924 and has lived in Jacksonville since 1961. My dad died in 1996. To my knowledge she has never been late paying ANY of her debts and was always on time with JEA. If my ciphering is correct, she has been a customer in good standing with JEA for ~49 years.

Mom has scoliosis to the point where her left hip is located up under her ribcage. She has COPD and takes medication daily to help relieve the symptoms. On top of the shear number of years she has lived, she has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease.

All that being said, I am trying to help out the best that I can. I have a brother with a wonderful wife who helps out immensely. Needless to say our resources are already stretched to the max and adding her needs to our daily tasks is often overwhelming. I am in charge of paying most of the recurring bills and must take the blame for letting the electric bill slide 2 times to the point of disconnection. The issue was addressed both times on the day of the disco and power was restored both times in a timely manner.

OK… to the point… JEA has imposed an $800.00 deposit to her account and if not paid in full by Monday June 7, 2010 the electricity would be cut off again. My sister-in-law and I have called the 904-655-6000 number and both hit stone walls with rude women offering no assistance and no alternative to the issue. I called JEA in desperation last Friday and decided to see what the recorded message had to say. It offered an extension on paying the bill for 2 weeks (which oddly enough neither of the live women offered). Now… the extension is great, but I don’t believe that I can find the remainder of the balance due in that time extension.

What I need is a direct connection to a corporate officer of JEA (e.g. a Vice President) who can make a compassionate decision to resolve this issue. Also… if any of you are aware of any foundations in Jacksonville who can help my Mom out with this issue, it would be GREATLY appreciated… Thank you for your time in reading this and any help offered… cr

This is a very unfournate situation, however, they are doing that to everyone. I had a friend that used to work there and he said they go by a point system, and unfortunately too many disconnections take you score down. I totally disagree with the system and in hard economic times it puts us all in a bind.

However, I know that the Emmitt Reed Center offers assistance with JEA bills. If they have funds left for this year, they will glady help you. Their number is 630-0958. They are located on West 6th street. Good luck

Jaguars 2.0

CS Foltz

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:55:49 PM »
Wholly owned city utility my butt! The next time I see a JEA crew sitting in a running truck, man behind the wheel reading a newspaper, partner asleep in the passanger chair..........I am going to call JEA and file a complaint! I should not have to do their job for them............they work for us! JEA/JTA both suffer from the same affliction.......no pride and no honor!

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
say that next time there is a storm or hurricane and they are out working overtime and their butts off to restore your power!

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »
say that next time there is a storm or hurricane and they are out working overtime and their butts off to restore your power!

So they aren't getting paid overtime for that? Oh wait...that's right...they are!

So what does that have to do with them unilaterally demanding a huge deposit and shutting off grandma's power?

CS Foltz

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
as you point out..............working overtime! Besides the way I am set up, could go without power for a month and would not miss a beat! That came from working my butt off, not riding the company clock doing nothing and getting paid for it!

Timkin

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
Good points CS

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »
Bump. Thought this was prescient given that it highlights the "Profits before People" approach at JEA.

Ralph W

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:42:10 AM »
It's been over 6 months since the original post. I wonder how the original poster fared vs JEA.

Timkin

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
+1  Inquiring minds want to know.

mtraininjax

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
Am sure the power was turned off. Life goes on....
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

sam

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 10:07:19 PM »
Please we need help . Our lights were cut off today at 9:45 this morning.   We live at 631 spaulding rd in ocean way.  Does Any one know who we can call tto try and get some help?

acme54321

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 06:52:21 AM »
I'd start off by calling JEA.  It's going to be cold for the next week.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:56:21 AM by acme54321 »

mtraininjax

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
Call JEA, 665-6000 and ask who can help. Often times Catholic Charities or someone else can assist. Call 630-CITY (2489) and ask them who you can speak to in the City for charitable matters.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field