Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: "A Fabulous Murder", Jacksonville Native, Robert Riggs soon elgible for Parole  (Read 23591 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Robert Riggs was one of the Riverside Hipsters back in the 80s.

His biggest hangout was College Station (where the FatCat/17south place is in Murray Hill)

It was shocking for the jacksonville cool kids to find out he was a murderer.

Michael Alig, whose elaborately planned parties once drew thousands of young people to Manhattan night spots, pleaded guilty yesterday to killing and dismembering a fellow denizen of the downtown night scene.

Mr. Alig, who pleaded guilty in State Supreme Court in Manhattan to one count of first degree manslaughter, admitted that he and a friend smothered Andre Melendez, known as Angel, chopped up his body and threw it into the Hudson River. The friend, Robert Riggs, also pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Both men are expected to receive sentences of 10 to 20 years in state prison.

Although prosecutors declined to provide a motive for the killing, Mr. Riggs told the police in an early statement that Mr. Alig and Mr. Melendez had been fighting over a debt.

The disappearance of Mr. Melendez, 25, in March 1996 was one more dark spot in a difficult year for the once-frenetic Manhattan club scene. Earlier last year, Peter Gatien, an owner of the Limelight and other clubs, was arrested and charged with drug sales and tax evasion. Federal prosecutors charged that Mr. Gatien sanctioned widespread drug dealing in his establishments.

Mr. Melendez had himself been a flamboyant regular at many downtown clubs, usually sporting a costume that included feathered wings. Rumors had circulated on the club scene for more than nine months after he disappeared before the police charged Mr. Alig and Mr. Riggs.

Mr. Alig was known as a party promoter for some of the city's hottest night spots. It was his job to line up music, think up an outrageous theme and insure that the beautiful people were present when the club doors opened. He had worked for Mr. Gatien for several years, promoting parties at the Limelight, the Tunnel and other clubs.

Mr. Melendez, according to acquaintances, was one of dozens of so-called ''club kids'' who gravitated toward Mr. Alig; Mr. Melendez's brother said Mr. Melendez had considered it glamorous to associate with someone so well known.

In his statement to the police, Mr. Riggs said that Mr. Alig and Mr. Melendez had been fighting and that he had intervened to save Mr. Alig, hitting Mr. Melendez over the head with a hammer and knocking him unconscious. He said that Mr. Alig then throttled Mr. Melendez and poured a detergent into his mouth before wrapping it with duct tape. The two men then dumped Mr. Melendez's body in their bathtub.

''About 5 to 7 days later, Michael and I decided we had to do something about this terrible mess,'' Mr. Riggs told the police. ''It was decided that I would go get knives or something to help dispose of the body.''

Mr. Riggs said he gave Mr. Alig 10 bags of heroin to chop up the body. The two men put the remains in a box, and Mr. Riggs poured in some baking soda to ''absorb (hopefully) some of the odor.''

The two men carried the box out to a yellow cab. The cabby helped tie the box in the trunk and they drove to the West Side Highway around 25th Street, he said.

''The taxi drove off, and we threw the box into the river,'' he said.
Correction: September 12, 1997, Friday An article yesterday about Michael Alig, a party promoter on the New York City nightclub scene who pleaded guilty in the killing of a clubgoer, referred incorrectly to the specifics of the plea. While Mr. Alig pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the case, he did not acknowledge details of the slaying, including an assertion that the victim was smothered and his body chopped up and thrown into the Hudson River. Those assertions were included in statements to the police by an accomplice who also pleaded guilty.

Robert is on the left

Robert is in the middle

Top Left

His handwritten confession

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:16:36 PM by stephendare »
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
http://submitresponse.co.uk/weblog/2003/08/29/party-monsters/

I AM AN OLD FRIEND OF ROBERT RIGGS FROM JACK­SONVILLE AND AM LOOK­ING FOR HIM, IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WOULD DO ANY­THING IF I COULD GET IN CON­TACT WITH HIM. THANK YOU FROM ROBBIE, JIMMIE, MYKAL CHAD, JEFF AND THE CREW IN JAX

Posted by mykal peebles at 6am on 03.08.08
#

TO WHO IT MAY CON­CERN MY NAME IS MYKAL PEE­BLES AND I AM LOOK­ING FOR ROBERT RIGGS. HE WAS LIKE A BROTHER TO US IN JACK­SONVILLE FL I JUST WANT TO GET IN CON­TACT WITH HIM AND LET HIM KNOW WE ALL ARE HERE FOR HIM!!!!!!

Posted by mykal peebles at 6am on 03.08.08
#

Mykal… I don’t know Robert Riggs… but I’m Robert Bishop… is this my old BF!

Get in touch with me…

Posted by Robert Bishop at 12am on 01.09.08
#

Robert Riggs will be in jail for long time.

Posted by AJ at 8pm on 17.06.09
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

billy

basis for Party Monster film?

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
Yes. the very one.

I was always very fond of Robert.  In that whole group of kids he was actually the nicest one.

Perhaps its because he was originally from the Westside.

Just ran across this somewhat hysterical account of him on AmericanMafia.com.

For the record, this is a good example of yellow or sensationalistic journalism:
\http://americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_256.html

Not that Robert and River didnt run in similar circles.  River's ranch was just down in gainesville (clothing optional) and the einstein a go go/ college station/ Netherworld crowds were all related)  However Robert certainly wasnt into devil worship and as far as anyone knew wasnt well read enough to even know who Anton LeVay was.
    In a very short time, a new culture was established in New York, London, Miami, and Los Angeles, which would spread around the globe and influence the young people of the world. The movement was dubbed 'Club Culture,' and it advocated that young people experiment with drugs and also bizarre lifestyle and religious practices. The movement was centered in the nightclubs and there would emerge lifestyles such as the 'Goth' scene, in which practitioners dressed in black and listened to Occult-themed rock music, and the 'Vampire' scene, in which practitioners drank each others blood - not exactly a safe practice in the age of AIDS and other blood-born diseases. Michael Alig added his own twist to bizarre Club behavior by drinking his own urine at his parties in front of his guests. Alig also bragged on the Geraldo Rivera show that he had given the drug Ecstasy to his own mother. The result of such public outrage on Alig's part was that his parties became increasingly popular, attended by public figures such as actress Elizabeth Taylor.

One musician who appealed to the 'Club Culture' denizen's then-growing movement was a man who calls himself 'Marilyn Manson,' taking his name from two American icons, Marilyn Monroe and cult murderer Charles Manson. Marilyn Manson has also been an open advocate of the practice of Satanism and had met with Anton LeVay, the founder of the Church of Satan in America and the author of 'The Satanic Bible.'

The Club Culture that emerged in the mid 1990s at The Viper Room, LIMELIGHT, and LIQUID also focussed on the art of body tattooing and body piercing, both of which had been popularized in the 'punk rock' movement of the 1970s and 1980s. While most of those in the Club world who delved into these often bizarre practices did so only out of boredom or for the shock value, many young people took their exploration of drugs and the Occult very seriously. Members of America's law enforcement community responded accordingly.

The study of body art tattoos by law enforcement began with the Marielitos experience in the early 1980s. This began when law enforcement professionals nationwide suddenly had to deal with crimes committed by the 'Marielitos,' the thousands of criminals and mental patients that the government of Fidel Castro had dumped into the United States during the infamous Mariel boatlift during the Jimmy Carter Administration. Many of the Marielitos were violent and dangerous, bringing with them an eagerness to commit murder and traffic drugs. Many of them practiced 'Santeria,' an Afro-Cuban religion that mixes African Animism beliefs with Roman Catholicism. Eventually the U. S. Supreme Court would rule that practitioners of Santeria have the Constitutional right to sacrifice animals during their rituals.

The Marielitos were also active practitioners of body tattooing and law enforcement professionals began to catalogue the various tattoos of inmates which helped identify and understand the culture. This same technique was developed in the 1980s and 1990s regarding street gangs in major American cities. Also, the FBI has developed this technique in the prosecution of American Mafia cases; in October of this year, the Feds in New York obtained a conviction against Gambino soldier Thomas Carbonaro after the jury was shown photographs of tattoos that the Prosecution claimed proved his membership in the Mafia. Carbonaro was convicted for plotting to murder former Gambino Underboss Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano.

Such techniques were utilized by members of the law enforcement community investigating the drug trafficking taking place within the LIMELIGHT and The Tunnel nightclubs in New York. Long before the arrests of numerous ClubKids in 1996, law enforcement had compiled photographs of those involved in drugs, and, where possible, photographs of the tattoos and body piercings of the individuals as well. Registered Informants supplied to authorities descriptions of tattoos of suspects in areas covered by clothing. While many such tattoos of those in the Club Culture were deemed of little significance, the body markings and religious practices of one 'ClubKid' were extensively investigated. The person in question was a young fashion designer whose real name was Robert Riggs but who called himself "Freeze." "Freeze" was a close associate of Michael Alig, with both being heroin addicts. "Freeze" was an open advocate of Satanism who often dressed as Mephistophiles. Among his tattoos was an Occult symbol from ancient Egypt.

Why this was important to the law enforcement community was because an associate of Alig's and Freeze, Angel Melendez, had suddenly vanished. Angel was one of the drug dealers who plied his trade at the LIMELIGHT. His real name was Andre, but Michael Alig had renamed him 'Angel' after viewing with him one of his favorite Occult movies, 'Angel Heart,' the Mickey Rourke thriller about ritual murder in which Robert De Niro portrays 'Mr. Lou Cipher,' - 'Lucifer.' After Angel vanished, Alig began bragging openly that he and Freeze had killed Angel by beating him in the head with a hammer and then pouring Drano in his mouth and taping it shut with duct tape. Alig claimed that Angel's body then lay in his bathtub for a week until Freeze ran down to Macy's one day to buy some meat cleavers, which were used to hack Angel into pieces, which were then thrown into the Hudson River.

Also disturbing to those investigating the disappearance of Angel was the "Bloodfeast" poster produced by Alig a year before to celebrate his birthday. The poster, drawn up as a gory horror movie advertisement, featured Michael Alig laying on the floor dead, his brains having been bashed out by a hammer laying nearby. Pictured with a fork cannibalizing Alig's brains was a ClubKid named Jenny Talia. In the background was Freeze's name, along with the terms "buckets of blood" and "legs cut off!" Thus all of the elements of the alleged murder were present in a movie poster Michael Alig had created a year before Angel's disappearance. Members of law enforcement, looking at all available evidence, concluded that Michael Alig and Freeze had in fact murdered Angel and that a combination of drug abuse and involvement in Occult practices were responsible. This theory was further cemented when Angel's torso was found in a box that floated ashore on Staten Island. The New York Post would report that Angel's body had been sexually mutilated.

Exactly what Michael Alig and Freeze did to Angel's body would never come out in Court, as both pleaded guilty to murder. A third person, Daniel Auster, who was overdosing on heroin in Alig's apartment while the murder was going down, pleaded guilty to lesser charges. Auster is the son of screenwriter Paul Auster. This gory story was the subject of the recent movie 'Party Monster,' with Macaulay Culkin in the role of Michael Alig.

The investigations by the various members of law enforcement into the bizarre world of Club Culture led to the arrest of LIMELIGHT owner Peter Gatien on federal drug trafficking charges. Among those testifying against Gatien was his former employee, Dr. Timothy Leary disciple "Lord Michael" Caruso. Gatien was acquitted but later pleaded guilty to income tax evasion and was ordered deported back to his native Canada. Chris Paciello, the owner of LIQUID in Miami pleaded guilty to his role in the murder of a Staten Island woman and is now hiding out in the Witness Protection Program after agreeing to testify about his interactions with members of several Mafia families.

It can be assumed that after actor River Phoenix died outside the Viper Room on Halloween, 1993 that members of law enforcement launched their own investigations as to what was going on inside the club. However, no legal action has resulted in the numerous incidents that have taken place at the club over the years. Club Manager Sal Jenco, a recovering alcoholic, has gone public in noting the steps he has taken to keep his patrons safe and sober. Jenco and Johnny Depp were named in the lawsuit filed in 2000 by their partner Anthony Fox in which Fox alleged that profits that should have gone into Safe in Heaven Dead Productions, Inc. were instead diverted into a company owned solely by Jenco and Depp. A preliminary ruling by the Judge in this case earlier this year indicated Fox would prevail in the suit. Fox, however, vanished without a trace in Christmas, 2001.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
http://askville.amazon.com/Michael-Alig-jail-time/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=50964828

According to Steve Lewis who is doing a blog about his visits to his 'friend' Michael Alig, Alig's prison sentence has been extended due to the presence of Percocet in his blood. Club kid Alig has so far served 13 years for the murder of Angel Melendez which was the subject of the film Party Monster. According to Lewis, Alig's "real partner in crime, Freeze, is due out next March," but "Michael received four years tacked onto his sentence for what has been described to me as a minor infraction... He is not taking this well, and I fear the worst."
http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/good-night-mr-lewis-alig-gets-more-time/7309
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:51:53 PM by stephendare »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
http://blog.michaelaligblog.com/2010/04/03/freeze-gets-released-michael-stays-positive.aspx

When Michael called the other day, I wasn't even thinking that Freeze would be out in a days time. I was not sure then, and I'm still not sure now if I want to bring Freeze's freedom up to Michael. The more I thought about it, I decided not to.

I know Michael, and I know if I brought it up, the subject would consume him, and may even divert his attention from his drug program which he must complete in order to be released. He knows he fucked up, and I don't have to constantly remind him. He should have also been released the same day, but because of the trouble he got into last year, he must wait a little longer.

This is the longest I have seen Michael positive about his life, and I will support him emotionally for as long as he needs.

Posted by Lovepurple at 4/3/2010 11:16 AM

buckethead

There's no accounting for what might happen when emotions run high within drug/alcohol/party circles.

The nicest people have been seen doing craziest things.

Was this the case here, or was it a brazen, sadistic, premeditated murder?

(confession letters notwithstanding)

In reading the note, Robert claims to have hit Angel in the head with a hammer 3 times. The first two were not effective in stopping the assault. This suggests a level of hesitance on the part of Robert. The number of hits would be verifiable if the body (head specifically) was recovered. If I were to hit someone in the head with a hammer with the intent to kill, I believe one blow would be all that was needed. (Maybe it was a rubber mallet? A "picture hanger" hammer?)

The cover up seems the worse crime. These guys could have gone with self defense in court, but once you dismember and dispose of a corpse... not so much.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:53:26 AM by buckethead »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
http://blog.michaelaligblog.com/2010/04/03/freeze-gets-released-michael-stays-positive.aspx

Freeze gets released, Michael stays positive

When Michael called the other day, I wasn't even thinking that Freeze would be out in a days time. I was not sure then, and I'm still not sure now if I want to bring Freeze's freedom up to Michael. The more I thought about it, I decided not to.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:17:34 PM by stephendare »