Thursday, July 31, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: A Brief History of Jacksonville Music  (Read 2681 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A Brief History of Jacksonville Music
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »
A Brief History of Jacksonville Music

Eu Magazine has a long and unique viewpoint on Jacksonville's music scene.  The current incarnation of the magazine, helmed by the Henley Family is the heir of decades of music intensive archives compiled by its previous iterations as The Entertainer and The Northeast Entertainer.

Over the decades, the publication has chronicled the careers of thousands of local musicians (and theater productions and so much more) both great and small.

Here is a short essay from our fellow publication on local music:

Here is looking forward to a whole lot more from the archives of EU!

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-nov-a-brief-history-of-jacksonville-music

Wacca Pilatka

The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

hillary supporter

Re: A Brief History of Jacksonville Music
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »
Steve Stilletto and the Switchblades, Blaine Crews Band, Great Invisibles and just a few others were among the first rock bands in Jacksonville to perform their own original material solely. Back in early 80s.
Rein Sanction ( with Ian Chase) didnt sell a lot of records but, more importantly, signed to Subpop, rocks most preeminent label.
They were produced by legendary Jack Endino, early producer of Nirvana.
Jacksonvilles original music scene is as good as anyones. Will the artists make money, fame? No but but they are still as good as anyone out there.

jandar

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:58:49 PM »
Evergreen Terrace is another indie band that makes a scene.
10 years and going strong.

stjr

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
What, no mention of Slim Whitman?  :D

The lady who wrote Heartbreak Hotel for Elvis and some other great hits?

Tim McGraw being born here? (His mom still lives here.)

Pat Boone?

How about local successes in other musical genres? 

Just stretching the subject  ;D.

Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:33:18 PM »

Ruby Starr of Grey Ghost

Black Oak Arkansas -

History

The group, originally called "The Knowbody Else", was formed in 1965 in Black Oak, Arkansas, by James Mangrum (vocals), Ricky Reynolds (guitar), Stanley Knight (guitar), Harvey Jett (guitar), Pat Daugherty (bass), and Wayne Evans (drums). Their first PA system was stolen from a local high school and members of the group were subsequently charged with grand larceny (hippies stole a state road grader and went for a joy ride... damn, imagine that) and sentenced to 26 years at the Tucker Prison Farm (this sentence was later suspended.) This led to their retreat to the hills of rural northeast Arkansas where they lived off the land and refined their musical style. Some of their influences during this time were The Beatles and The Byrds.

The Knowbody Else moved to New Orleans, Louisiana in 1969 and signed a record deal with Stax Records. Their self-titled debut album, and their only album with Stax, was largely ignored by the populace. During this time the band became interested in psychedelia and Eastern spiritualism which, combined with their Southern Baptist upbringing, contributed to their sound.

After several trips to Los Angeles, California in 1970, the band was signed by Atco Records and rechristened "Black Oak Arkansas". Their self-titled debut album Black Oak Arkansas was released in 1971 while the band toured extensively, gaining a reputation as a live act.

CHECK OUT: http://www.southernrocksociety.com/srs2008/

It would be tough to say who was first, but several history sites credit BOA and the Allman Brothers as developing the sound. The two groups pulled from their country roots and Baptist backgrounds, they developed very different sounds each with a unique guitar attack. Saw them in Hollywood. Great acts. Ruby Starr damn near stole the show from BOA with what had to be the sexiest hippie chick moves on stage to date. Sadly she died young of cancer, a beautiful flower taken in her prime.

OCKLAWAHA
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:41:01 PM by Ocklawaha »

Dog Walker

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
Robert Marcus is from Jax.  Wasn't Ray Charles originally from here too?
When all else fails hug the dog.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 11:19:18 AM »

Talk about opportunity missed, not only was Ray Charles from Jacksonville, but the club where he got his start is still standing. The COJ now owns it and is "looking" for a use! DUH!

It would take some coin to restore it, as the walls are missing from the lower floor while the second floor is brick sided. Everything else is concrete and steel.

If rebuilt into a club, one I'll call "RAY'S", it would not only be a tourist attraction but the anchor of new development in LaVilla. A new courthouse nearby and I think it couldn't miss.

Got bucks? Call me!

JACKSONVILLE? Of course not darling, it's Albany, Georgia.

OCKLAWAHA

stjr

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »
Robert Marcus is from Jax.  Wasn't Ray Charles originally from here too?

Ock, I don't think Charles was born or originally from Jax based on the biographical movie, Ray, but elsewhere in rural North Florida.  In fact, Jacksonville is never mentioned in the movie as I recall.  My understanding is he did go to the Florida State School for the Deaf and Blind in St. Augustine and lived and played in Jax for a short and formative period of his early years.  Don't have time to double check it at the moment but I am sure we can verify it on the internet.  ;)
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »
Ray did live in Jax and perform at Genovar's Hall and other venues, as mentioned upthread, and he did attend the School for the Deaf and Blind in St. Augustine.  However, I think he was born in rural Georgia.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 12:11:06 PM »
Genovars Hall what a cool place it could be, but yet another financial debacle from our city leaders.

JeffreyS

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Tim McGraw is a major performer to miss on that list.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.  Mark Twain

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 12:25:27 PM »
RAY'S

Georgia, Georgia
The whole day through (the whole day through)
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind (Georgia on my mind)
I said a Georgia, Georgia
A song of you (a song of you)
Comes as sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines
Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in the peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you
I said Georgia, oh Georgia, no peace I find (no peace i find)
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind (Georgia on my mind oh)
Still in peaceful dreams I see
Oh Georgia,
No peace, no peace I find
Just an old, sweet song
Still in peaceful dreams I see
Oh Georgia, Georgia
No peace, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song
I said just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

Yes STJR, born in Georgia, but lived here and first hit the stage in our downtown "club". RAY'S would be the most happening place downtown if the city and an investor had ANY vision.

Southern Fried Rock and Blues hall of fame? Museum? Restaurant? Gift Shop? Geeze Louise! Ave Maria!

OCKLAWAHA

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
Another lost son?

Scott's Mc KenzieStory
In the Spring of 1967 San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair) became a hit all over the world.  The record was produced by Lou Adler and Papa John Phillips, written by Phillips, and sung by Scott McKenzie.

Scott was born Philip Blondheim in 1939 on 10 January and not 1 October as is very often reported. He was born in Jacksonville Beach , Florida.

Weird shit man, he moved to Joshua Tree, California in the 1970's and I didn't know it. In that same timeframe another Jax boy (ME) bought his place in Landers, California, not 30 miles away. We both would have done our shopping in Yucca Valley, and damn, why didn't I know this? I love that song Scott!

Scott appears in good health - his body aches and creaks like it does for most people of his age (67).  He maintains an interesting sense of humor and seems happy.

Surprisingly, Scott McKenzie dislikes the sound of his own voice. This is perhaps another of the reasons that he didn't continue a recording career. Scott has given permission for this web page. However, in his own words, "I can't imagine any one having the slightest interest in me." Perhaps he doesn't know just how much his songs have touched people all around the world.

Wouldn't it be great to have Scott involved in our museum plans!

OCKLAWAHA
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:44:18 PM by Ocklawaha »

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »
The video can't be embeded on MJ, but it is a ... TRIP! Check out Scott's biggest hit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2tYYYlwMc

hee hee ! HA! HA!

OHAWALKCA
"FAR OUT MAN!"