Author Topic: Some Coffee Shops Actually Pulled the Plug on Laptop Users in 2009.  (Read 8650 times)

NotNow

Re: Some Coffee Shops Actually Pulled the Plug on Laptop Users in 2009.
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Well you know, its funny.

We did run out of money.

So that we could build all of those roads and by passes and highways and street lights and all that happy crappy.

In fact, we spent so much of the taxpayers dime on that bullshit that the entire economy is broke.

And without all those millions of miles of highway, we probably wouldnt have to spend a billion tax payer financed dollars a year in pensions for the cops to patrol them.

But hey!  don't let anything like a little cold reality intrude on this conversation.

As long as you can keep your highway building hand in uncle sam's pocket, Im sure you will be. ;)

Its always cool to see people whose livelihood comes from tax dollars get steamed about tax dollars getting spent on anything else.

Wow, StephenDare!  The train of thought in that last post says a lot.  There is really no need for me to comment since your own words say enough.  Thanks!
Deo adjuvante non timendum

NotNow

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
And this has what to do with mooching free wifi and chips?

NotNow

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »
Stop stomping your little feet, this is a light hearted thread.  Try to go with it.

NotNow

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »
Calm DOWN Nancy!  You talk funny when your all upset!

David

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »
I'm just impressed that you can do your homework and complete your resume with $25 worth of booze down.  Your gonna have a great political career.

With the little down time I have between school and work I have to combine my free-time activities, but a 25 dollar tab doesn't get you much these days. Half of it was food, the other half was two glasses o'wine. Although I will admit, I’ve written some of my best cover-letters when tipsy!

Back to the thread though, I’m very thankful that local businesses are generous with the free wifi. I'm borrowing some of steamwork's bandwidth currently and enjoying the atmosphere.

I try to spend a fair amount of moolah when i'm in these places and most of them in the core area are not usually pressed for seats.... It's funny how this story said laptop users don't spend much money when they're in those ny coffee shops, but in reality who does spend a lot at a coffee joint? I usually get one drink, maybe a pastry and i'm pretty much done.

It's much about enforcing a no-loitering policy it seems.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
So basically, poor kids can go to a fast food joint to do their homework.

spuwho

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
So basically, poor kids can go to a fast food joint to do their homework.

If they are poor, what are they going to use? If no internet at home, chances are no computer either.

They are usually at the library, not Krystal to get their homework done.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Assuming their neighborhood library branch is still open.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

spuwho

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 09:39:51 PM »
The game for free WiFi in commercial settings has changed quite a bit in the last few years.

EverBank Field has an expansive WiFi network that is "free" during the games or special events. However, the provider is collecting large amounts of usage data to get information on the fans who attend.

Starbucks, McD's, B&N all collect copious amounts of user data when you use their free WiFi. Where you browse, what version of software, what kind of phone or tablet you have, its pretty comprehensive short of loading any software on the device.

While there are hotspot providers for the Ma & Pa shops that place ads and subsidize their bandwidth costs to some degree, I would surmise that these local shops have simply turned on the guest network feature on their ATT or Comcast Business link.