Friday, October 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Some Coffee Shops Actually Pulled the Plug on Laptop Users in 2009.  (Read 3139 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Re: Some Coffee Shops Actually Pulled the Plug on Laptop Users in 2009.
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
This seems to go back to those who think everything is or should be free.  That there is an entitlement to free electricity and WiFi and airconditioning and heat.  Clearly the ones abusing do not pay for their own internet access and believe they are entitled to use someone elses.  Clearly' according to the article... some business owners are fed up and turning these abusers away.  They have decided that the loss of a few patrons cups of coffee while taking up an entire table is worth it.

Great comments from 2009 about wifi being cancelled in coffeehouses all over the world to prevent wifi 'leeches'.  Since then of course the following restaurants have added wifi to their dining rooms:

Get free WiFi at McDonald's restaurants starting today!

The fast food chain, which has been charging customers $2.95 for two hours of internet access, will begin offering free WiFi, without a time limit, to customers around the country.

WiFi access will be available at 11,500 of its 14,000 locations in the U.S., and is reportedly part of an effort by the restaurant to broaden its appeal.

On the technological front, the company has served up convenience to its customers by offering free Wi-Fi Internet access, launching its first “Krystal HotSpot” in early 2003 and becoming the largest provider of free Wi-Fi of any fast-food chain nationwide in 2005.

According to a report released Wednesday by Meraki, a San Francisco-based company that provides wireless networking to 17,000 small and medium-sized organizations, from MIT and UVA to Starbucks and Burger King, 2011 was the year that mobile devices overtook PCs as the major consumers of Wi-Fi data.

Detailed Restaurant Locator: We often receive questions from our guests about store hours, in-store Wi-Fi, restaurant menu options and whether the restaurant has a drive-thru.  With the new DunkinDonuts.com, these questions and more will be easily answered.  Guests on the go will also be able to easily search for and send themselves directions to a Dunkin’ Donuts restaurant near them.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
So basically, poor kids can go to a fast food joint to do their homework.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
debbie.  you just blinked onto my radar for real.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2013, 08:12:28 PM »
I am not for or against a place banning laptop use. I think the business will face the consequence of their choice by either profiting through more turnover, or suffering from alienating a group of customers. Obviously as a laptop wielding customer, you will be able to find a coffeehouse somewhere that will suite your needs.

Stephen you said "Coffee, after the morning shift, is an entirely social kind of a business." Which is why I like the idea of limiting laptop use to certain hours.

Although a this is a small sample, in going to Three Layers, a person using a laptop on a Saturday night taking up an entire table for themself could be a problem considering the number of people there and the size of the space. However, when I went Wednesday after Art Walk, around the same time I was there on a Saturday night, there was plenty of space for the people there occupying a whole table for themself and their laptop.

Whatever the feeling on this, the business has the choice in the matter, and will feel the repercussion.

Are you thinking about banning laptops in your coffeehouse, lucas?  Or is it just general advice to coffeehouse owners?

When I go out at night, especially for dinner, I generally go out with a large group of people (5 or more)  Of course, they are the new media, social networking types, with plans on staying out for most of the late night and early morning.  When we go out, we generally end up spending pretty generous amounts of money throughout the course of the evening.

Weve spent many many conversations planning dinners and drinks at places that have wifi.

In the urban core, there are only a few that offer it.

The ones that do offer free wifi are the only ones that are succeeding.

Cafe's that offer free wifi:
Three Layers.
Five Points Coffeehouse
Chamblin's Book Mine
La Nopalera San Marco
Panera
Burger King.

Cafe's that didnt:

Cafe Carmon
Matthew's Market
Waafa and Mike's
Hola
Corner Brasserie
Worman's

interestingly, from the first list, only the Five Points Coffee Shop closed in the interim.  It was replaced by Tapa That (which also provides WiFi)

The second list wasnt so lucky.  Only Waafa and Mikes is still open.

Carmon, Matthews Market, Corner Brasserie and Worman's all closed.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:43:12 PM by stephendare »

spuwho

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
So basically, poor kids can go to a fast food joint to do their homework.

If they are poor, what are they going to use? If no internet at home, chances are no computer either.

They are usually at the library, not Krystal to get their homework done.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Assuming their neighborhood library branch is still open.