Thursday, October 23, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Jacksonville Restaurant Legends  (Read 14099 times)

ChriswUfGator

Re: Jacksonville Restaurant Legends
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 06:05:34 PM »
My mom was a partner in a restaurant not too far away from LG for many years.  It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't necessarily great or memorable IMO.  Certainly not in the conversation of local legends.  For the money, I would have just rather gone to Giovannis, First Street, or Marker 32.  But, that's just my opinion.

Tried Eleven South recently and was impressed on a mildly unrelated beaches dining note....

There were some real standouts. They had the best nachos ever, and the best salad ever. I miss my lighthouse chef salad. They did also have some not so good stuff, but overall it was better than 90% of what we have around here so I'd call it list-worthy.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »
Guy LeRoy the owner of L'Orient and Brasserie:

And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

jaxjags

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
Yes about L'Orient. If I remember correctly is was Atlantic Blvd. near San Marco Is this correct or am I imagining things. I would eat there when on business from ATL. Very sophisticated but not over the top with a nice bar staff. Food was very good. Also in the early 90's I remember  a small place across from First Street Grill. Cannot think of name. The had "chalkboard menu" that changed daily and was fresh and well prepared. Does anyone remember the name and/or who owned it?

mvp

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
Dolphin Depot?

ben says

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
Yes about L'Orient. If I remember correctly is was Atlantic Blvd. near San Marco Is this correct or am I imagining things. I would eat there when on business from ATL. Very sophisticated but not over the top with a nice bar staff. Food was very good. Also in the early 90's I remember  a small place across from First Street Grill. Cannot think of name. The had "chalkboard menu" that changed daily and was fresh and well prepared. Does anyone remember the name and/or who owned it?

You're right about L'Orient. Then it changed to Daniels, I believe. Great place, don't remember what happened to it. Great soufflés and some truly inventive dishes.

Second place you've mentioned is called (was called?) Dolphin Depot. One of my favorite restaurants.
Luxury travel & concierge services: www.isserbtravels.com

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »
Not "fine dining" perhaps, but I loved Angelo's on University Blvd North.  Veal Marsala was my favorite.  They had good chicken livers and gizzards.  And we often ordered an extra basket of their garlic bread and a pitcher of beer rather than dessert because it was so yummy, buttery and garlicky.

RiversideLoki

• What do you mean we can't turn left here?
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »
Not "fine dining" perhaps, but I loved Angelo's on University Blvd North.  Veal Marsala was my favorite.  They had good chicken livers and gizzards.  And we often ordered an extra basket of their garlic bread and a pitcher of beer rather than dessert because it was so yummy, buttery and garlicky.

Speaking of, is it just me, or has Pizza Italian's Veal parm gone downhill? Last time I had it, it tasted like tomato slathered wet cardboard.
Find Jacksonville on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville!

BMVriga

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »
The Left Bank Restaurant was started by my Father Paul McLaughlin in partnership with Michael Thomas.  Hausy was an employee who eventually was given a stake in the restaurant.

He also opened The Tree Steakhouse in 1969 with several other partners. Some of my best memories and favorite meals are from "the Tree".   :).   Glad Paul Hanson has kept the dream alive in Mandarin.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »
The Left Bank Restaurant was started by my Father Paul McLaughlin in partnership with Michael Thomas.  Hausy was an employee who eventually was given a stake in the restaurant.

He also opened The Tree Steakhouse in 1969 with several other partners. Some of my best memories and favorite meals are from "the Tree".   :).   Glad Paul Hanson has kept the dream alive in Mandarin.
I loved the Original Tree Steakhouse it was the best steak house for so many years. Thank You :)

danno

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »
I worked for the Original Tree in Arlington for about 5 years in the 80's.. One of my great working experiences.