Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville  (Read 29723 times)

pwhitford

Re: Lost Jacksonville
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Today in Florida history from the Florida Historical Society:

In 1880 Florida's first telephone exchange opened today in Jacksonville. Southern

Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company opened with 34 subscribers.

Just throwin' it out there...
Enlightenment--that magnificent escape from anguish and ignorance--never happens by accident. It results from the brave and sometimes lonely battle of one person against his own weaknesses.

-Bhikkhu Nyanasobhano, "Landscapes of Wonder"

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
Ock, the store was Mobleys.  Herman either owned it or worked there and the hamburgers and cherry cokes were the best I have ever had. It was on Old Kings Road right beside the Southern shops in Grand Crossing.

Yeah, THAT IS IT! Absolutely the finest mom and pop style eatery in town for decades. And who wouldn't miss the wooden front porch and the squeaky screen doors?

BackinJax05

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47:27 AM »
Thanks for including the Heard National Bank, and especially the old Robert Meyer Hotel. Robert Meyer was a "modern" building, but like all the old buildings - it was thoughtlessly demolished.

100 years from now people will be commenting about the lost architecture of BellSouth, Helmut's pencil, and Wells Fargo/Independent Square. Hope Im still alive to see Helmut's pencil imploded.

Timkin

« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »
Thanks for including the Heard National Bank, and especially the old Robert Meyer Hotel. Robert Meyer was a "modern" building, but like all the old buildings - it was thoughtlessly demolished.

100 years from now people will be commenting about the lost architecture of BellSouth, Helmut's pencil, and Wells Fargo/Independent Square. Hope Im still alive to see Helmut's pencil imploded.

I hope I am alive to see them all imploded.  Add to that, the "New" Courthouse, the Federal Courthouse, and the Jail.   

BackinJax05

« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »

Me too!

I hope I am alive to see them all imploded.  Add to that, the "New" Courthouse, the Federal Courthouse, and the Jail.

BackinJax05

« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
A great set of pictures. Its sad to see how much has been bulldozed or imploded in the way of "progress".

Here's a question for the lover in all of you:

If these buildings were still standing, which one(s) would you take your lover (opposite or same sex) to for a romantic rondezvous??

As for me? We'd do every room in the old Robert Meyer, AND the pool deck. Followed by the roof of the Heard National Bank building.

Next I'd go by myself to pay the ladies of Houston Street a visit. (What happens on Houston Street STAYS on Houston Street)

The old Robert Meyer might take awhile. That was a big hotel. ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:52:16 PM by BackinJax05 »

Timkin

« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »
A great set of pictures. Its sad to see how much has been bulldozed or imploded in the way of "progress".

Here's a question for the lover in all of you:

If these buildings were still standing, which one(s) would you take your lover (opposite or same sex) to for a romantic rondezvous??

As for me? We'd do every room in the old Robert Meyer, AND the pool deck. Followed by the roof of the Heard National Bank building.

Next I'd go by myself to pay the ladies of Houston Street a visit. (What happens on Houston Street STAYS on Houston Street)

The old Robert Meyer might take awhile. That was a big hotel. ;)

Id go to all of them ;)  but my favorite , I guess Id have to say, is the Post Office Building. :P

BackinJax05

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2012, 08:47:16 PM »
Up in the clock tower. A whole new way to rock around the clock! :D

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
Well I'd be screwed, because I couldn't possibly get the 1504 steam locomotive up in that hotel suite. She'd be great for a really hot night but I guess I'll just have to dream about it.

Timkin

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »
Well I'd be screwed, because I couldn't possibly get the 1504 steam locomotive up in that hotel suite. She'd be great for a really hot night but I guess I'll just have to dream about it.

The 1504 Needs to be protected from further deterioration from the elements.  I CANNOT believe the City cannot at least Cough up a  "Carport" type building to park the Locomotive under. Depressing when blocks away sits a multimillion dollar courthouse .  Something is wrong with this picture.

BackinJax05

« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2012, 10:02:08 PM »

Sex with a locomotive?? Why didnt I think of that! :)

1504 would sure beat a blow up doll. LOL

BackinJax05

« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »

The 1504 Needs to be protected from further deterioration from the elements.  I CANNOT believe the City cannot at least Cough up a  "Carport" type building to park the Locomotive under. Depressing when blocks away sits a multimillion dollar courthouse .  Something is wrong with this picture.

So true. And dont forget the Seaboard Coast Line pullman sleeper on Bay Street, incorrectly named Orange Blossom Special. She sits slowly rusting away, too. But the olive drab paint hides it better.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »

Hey, it's the only machine ever created by man that not only responds to human touch, many machines can do that, but a steam locomotive breathes, inhales, exhales, heats up, sweats and has a raging inferno in its fire box. Yeah, I'm in love! LOL!

The Pullman is just another sad story in our rush to be the 'authentic' version of Orlando's plastic world. Orlando has 'a train' at Church Street Station, so Jacksonville has a locomotive and Pullman to decorate our temple of transportation turned garden show mecca. Doesn't matter what train the Pullman came off of? Doesn't matter that it's not properly restored? Who cares about fake lettering? This isn't a museum exhibit is it? Nobody would expect us to do it right and thus create an attraction would they? Why have an attraction when we can use it like a Christmas Bulb on a oak tree? Think anyone will know the difference? Imagine the thousands that have passed by and exclaimed, 'a train! a train!' isn't that good enough? Isn't Jacksonville 'good enough'? Do we really want to continue to be known as the city of 'good enough?'

Don't worry boys and girls, some consultant told the convention center people that if we recklessly threw some trains around the building, it would thus be 'authentic.' The consultant no doubt, couldn't tell a locomotive from a caboose, THANK GOD that he didn't get us a deal on some 4 wheel European wagons... what an exhibit THAT would be all lettered 'Atlantic Coast Line.' 

Timkin

« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »
Perhaps we need to take matters into our own hands, as  kind hearted volunteers do from time to time, and go show the old Locomotive some love.  I would chip in on paint for it.  10 of us or more could do much to improve the  1504.  Anything is better than the city letting the thing sit there in the sun and elements and deterioration.   There is no good reason the city should object or stand in our way of doing something to improve the 1504.

BackinJax05

« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:21 AM »

Hey, it's the only machine ever created by man that not only responds to human touch, many machines can do that, but a steam locomotive breathes, inhales, exhales, heats up, sweats and has a raging inferno in its fire box. Yeah, I'm in love! LOL!

True! AND steam locomotives never get tired or have headaches. (However, they ARE high maintenance and thats a headache of its own)

The Pullman is just another sad story in our rush to be the 'authentic' version of Orlando's plastic world. Orlando has 'a train' at Church Street Station, so Jacksonville has a locomotive and Pullman to decorate our temple of transportation turned garden show mecca. Doesn't matter what train the Pullman came off of? Doesn't matter that it's not properly restored? Who cares about fake lettering? This isn't a museum exhibit is it? Nobody would expect us to do it right and thus create an attraction would they? Why have an attraction when we can use it like a Christmas Bulb on a oak tree? Think anyone will know the difference? Imagine the thousands that have passed by and exclaimed, 'a train! a train!' isn't that good enough? Isn't Jacksonville 'good enough'? Do we really want to continue to be known as the city of 'good enough?'

As for the Pullman, restored it would make a great guest house or private car - if Amtrak certified.

The "train" at Church Street Station is gone. Yes, I know it was a fake ACL, too. (or was it SAL). As I recall it was sold to a private collector. Its a good thing, too. Sitting in the worst part of Orlando it was subject to lots of vandalism. I rode past it a few times on the Silver Star and couldnt help noticing tagging on the cars, along with broken windows, and holes punched in the floors. Makes me think of the poor caboose sitting & rusting out at Bruce Park, but thats another story.

At least the Pullman here hasnt been vandalized yet. Or maybe it has. I havent been down that way in awhile.

Don't worry boys and girls, some consultant told the convention center people that if we recklessly threw some trains around the building, it would thus be 'authentic.' The consultant no doubt, couldn't tell a locomotive from a caboose, THANK GOD that he didn't get us a deal on some 4 wheel European wagons... what an exhibit THAT would be all lettered 'Atlantic Coast Line.'