Thursday, November 27, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville  (Read 16678 times)

distantkarma

Re: Lost Jacksonville
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »
Picture #10, the large 4 story with the triple porch was the YWCA Building.  How did we ever lose that great old church on the corner of Monroe & Hogan?

nomeus

• www.FLURBEX.com
    • FLURBEX - The Home Of Florida's Urban Explorers
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:56 PM »
what a bummer :(

Old Jim

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
Ock, the store was Mobleys.  Herman either owned it or worked there and the hamburgers and cherry cokes were the best I have ever had. It was on Old Kings Road right beside the Southern shops in Grand Crossing.

Noone

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Just as tragic as what has been lost is what is being designed now!!! Many comments have been made on this site regarding KBJ, the courthouse, renovations of historic buildings that don't fit with the urban fabric (Haverty's), etc.

When I think about this, I get so angry about the GOB network in Jacksonville that keeps the assignment of important projects/contracts going to the same designers over and over again. I am particularly disgusted by Daniel Davis' effort to work into the City bid process an over-weighting of the "proximity to Jacksonville" element of the bid.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Jacksonville wants to keep work local when it can, but I believe the more important weighting, most of it, should go to TALENT. I'm not saying there isn't talent in this market - far from it. All I'm saying is Mr. Davis, and Jacksonville, are on a course to enable the languishment of our local talent through gifting assignments, rather than helping it to grow in a competitive environment.

If there were a threat of greater or deeper talent pools from elsewhere getting Jacksonville assignments, maybe Jacksonville firms/contractors would do more to ensure they can attract, and continue training, their local assets.

In this type of market-based environment, all boats have to RISE to remain competitive. Instead, in Jacksonville, it's protect our own to its detriment and mediocrity. Shame on Daniel Davis and the GOB network that still reigns here.

+1

Timkin

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
Couldn't tell you about my thoughts on any of the book. Mine have so far not arrived.  I'm sure it will be great though.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »
All the pre-orders are in the hands of the USPS and should be arriving to their destination by Saturday.  Timkin, check your PM.

Timkin

« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
Thx, Lake.

pwhitford

« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Today in Florida history from the Florida Historical Society:

In 1880 Florida's first telephone exchange opened today in Jacksonville. Southern

Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company opened with 34 subscribers.

Just throwin' it out there...
Enlightenment--that magnificent escape from anguish and ignorance--never happens by accident. It results from the brave and sometimes lonely battle of one person against his own weaknesses.

-Bhikkhu Nyanasobhano, "Landscapes of Wonder"

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
Ock, the store was Mobleys.  Herman either owned it or worked there and the hamburgers and cherry cokes were the best I have ever had. It was on Old Kings Road right beside the Southern shops in Grand Crossing.

Yeah, THAT IS IT! Absolutely the finest mom and pop style eatery in town for decades. And who wouldn't miss the wooden front porch and the squeaky screen doors?

BackinJax05

« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47:27 AM »
Thanks for including the Heard National Bank, and especially the old Robert Meyer Hotel. Robert Meyer was a "modern" building, but like all the old buildings - it was thoughtlessly demolished.

100 years from now people will be commenting about the lost architecture of BellSouth, Helmut's pencil, and Wells Fargo/Independent Square. Hope Im still alive to see Helmut's pencil imploded.

Timkin

« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »
Thanks for including the Heard National Bank, and especially the old Robert Meyer Hotel. Robert Meyer was a "modern" building, but like all the old buildings - it was thoughtlessly demolished.

100 years from now people will be commenting about the lost architecture of BellSouth, Helmut's pencil, and Wells Fargo/Independent Square. Hope Im still alive to see Helmut's pencil imploded.

I hope I am alive to see them all imploded.  Add to that, the "New" Courthouse, the Federal Courthouse, and the Jail.   

BackinJax05

« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »

Me too!

I hope I am alive to see them all imploded.  Add to that, the "New" Courthouse, the Federal Courthouse, and the Jail.

BackinJax05

« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
A great set of pictures. Its sad to see how much has been bulldozed or imploded in the way of "progress".

Here's a question for the lover in all of you:

If these buildings were still standing, which one(s) would you take your lover (opposite or same sex) to for a romantic rondezvous??

As for me? We'd do every room in the old Robert Meyer, AND the pool deck. Followed by the roof of the Heard National Bank building.

Next I'd go by myself to pay the ladies of Houston Street a visit. (What happens on Houston Street STAYS on Houston Street)

The old Robert Meyer might take awhile. That was a big hotel. ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:52:16 PM by BackinJax05 »

Timkin

« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »
A great set of pictures. Its sad to see how much has been bulldozed or imploded in the way of "progress".

Here's a question for the lover in all of you:

If these buildings were still standing, which one(s) would you take your lover (opposite or same sex) to for a romantic rondezvous??

As for me? We'd do every room in the old Robert Meyer, AND the pool deck. Followed by the roof of the Heard National Bank building.

Next I'd go by myself to pay the ladies of Houston Street a visit. (What happens on Houston Street STAYS on Houston Street)

The old Robert Meyer might take awhile. That was a big hotel. ;)

Id go to all of them ;)  but my favorite , I guess Id have to say, is the Post Office Building. :P

BackinJax05

« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2012, 08:47:16 PM »
Up in the clock tower. A whole new way to rock around the clock! :D