Friday, October 31, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville  (Read 16170 times)

billy

Re: Lost Jacksonville
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »
The first Wendy's I remember was on University near Powers.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2010, 06:28:07 PM »

Here is a great view of Forsyth & Newnan in 1972.  One can't help but notice the four story buildings across the street from the Florida Theatre that no longer exist.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »
... and the Jean Ribault restuarant on the 2nd floor of Sears ...

...with a large wall mural by artist Lee Adams depicting his landing.  (However, I believe this restaurant closed, at the latest, in the 70's as the Sears store was already closed by or before about 1980.

What happened to the mural?  I remember seeing a mid-to-late 90s T-U article about how it was discovered and rescued but don't recall its fate.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
What a fantastic picture, Lake.  Thank you for posting that.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Timkin

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »
That is an awesome picture Lake. Though I get nauseated at the thought of how many pieces were destroyed for surface parking or some other unimportant reason.  Also note the Rhodes Furniture in the upper left which is now gone. Its sickening.

Bativac

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »
That is an awesome picture Lake. Though I get nauseated at the thought of how many pieces were destroyed for surface parking or some other unimportant reason.  Also note the Rhodes Furniture in the upper left which is now gone. Its sickening.

I was standing under the Skyway track with a small crowd the morning they demolished the Rhodes Furniture building. I'd never actually seen a building in downtown Jax being demolished, and I had grown up seeing that one, so I wanted to be there to see it one last time. Talk about sad. The general mood of the group was almost like a funeral service.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »
I watched as the old Robert Meyer Hotel building was imploded to make way for the new federal courthouse.  I was working across the river at the Prudential Building.  It was eerie...
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »
Speaking of various eating establishments, what is up with Fuddruckers?  I recall that they were supposed to open up at the Landing, but have been delayed for almost an eternity!
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
Fuddruckers won't be coming to the Landing.  That project died a long time ago.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
Fuddruckers won't be coming to the Landing.  That project died a long time ago.

Damn!

Thanks, lakelander, for the update, though!
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Timkin

« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
Am I mistaken or did Fuddruckers go under?  I thought I read somewhere that they filed for Bankruptcy..

I saw Rhodes, The Robert Meyer, the Mayflower, and most recently, the Jacksonville Coliseum go down.  The Coliseum was not one of my favorite buildings, but i still hated to see it go .

stjr

« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
Am I mistaken or did Fuddruckers go under?  I thought I read somewhere that they filed for Bankruptcy..

Yes, see the MJ thread at:  http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,8379.0.html
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Timkin

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
A shame.  great Hamburgers

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »
Timkin, the real shame is "Herman's" out at Grand Junction in the NW side. Herman owned a tiny old southern beanery and every railroad crew and truck driver in the south knew about it.  Herman served the meanest Hamburger steak in the South, and also offered a full menu from the old days of fountains and drug stores. I really don't know when Herman retired or died, but his legacy lives on in thousands of train crews and trucking employees. Always a smile, and a couple of dollars bought a REAL meal, DAMN I MISS HIM. Anyone that even thinks they remember, it was that tiny old double entry screened door place on the north side of Old Kings Road just above NW of the Norfolk Southern Crossing. THAT is a hamburger joint to feel remorse over the loss of.

I even made a railroad inspection trip to NJ once where the guys with me pointed out every look-alike old southern store and suggested it as "Herman's #2" or "#3" etc...

OCKLAWAHA

Timkin

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »

You would not , by any chance have pictures of "Hermans" , would you?

Another set of pictures I cannot seem to dig up , no matter where I look, is ones of Annie Lytle , when she was an open School House. SURELY, somewhere out there, someone has pictures... but i ll be damned if I can find them.