Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville  (Read 29444 times)

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
Re: Lost Jacksonville
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »
Speaking of various eating establishments, what is up with Fuddruckers?  I recall that they were supposed to open up at the Landing, but have been delayed for almost an eternity!
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
Fuddruckers won't be coming to the Landing.  That project died a long time ago.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
Fuddruckers won't be coming to the Landing.  That project died a long time ago.

Damn!

Thanks, lakelander, for the update, though!
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Timkin

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
Am I mistaken or did Fuddruckers go under?  I thought I read somewhere that they filed for Bankruptcy..

I saw Rhodes, The Robert Meyer, the Mayflower, and most recently, the Jacksonville Coliseum go down.  The Coliseum was not one of my favorite buildings, but i still hated to see it go .

stjr

« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
Am I mistaken or did Fuddruckers go under?  I thought I read somewhere that they filed for Bankruptcy..

Yes, see the MJ thread at:  http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,8379.0.html
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Timkin

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
A shame.  great Hamburgers

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »
Timkin, the real shame is "Herman's" out at Grand Junction in the NW side. Herman owned a tiny old southern beanery and every railroad crew and truck driver in the south knew about it.  Herman served the meanest Hamburger steak in the South, and also offered a full menu from the old days of fountains and drug stores. I really don't know when Herman retired or died, but his legacy lives on in thousands of train crews and trucking employees. Always a smile, and a couple of dollars bought a REAL meal, DAMN I MISS HIM. Anyone that even thinks they remember, it was that tiny old double entry screened door place on the north side of Old Kings Road just above NW of the Norfolk Southern Crossing. THAT is a hamburger joint to feel remorse over the loss of.

I even made a railroad inspection trip to NJ once where the guys with me pointed out every look-alike old southern store and suggested it as "Herman's #2" or "#3" etc...

OCKLAWAHA

Timkin

« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »

You would not , by any chance have pictures of "Hermans" , would you?

Another set of pictures I cannot seem to dig up , no matter where I look, is ones of Annie Lytle , when she was an open School House. SURELY, somewhere out there, someone has pictures... but i ll be damned if I can find them.

distantkarma

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »
Picture #10, the large 4 story with the triple porch was the YWCA Building.  How did we ever lose that great old church on the corner of Monroe & Hogan?

nomeus

• www.FLURBEX.com
    • FLURBEX - The Home Of Florida's Urban Explorers
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:56 PM »
what a bummer :(

Old Jim

« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
Ock, the store was Mobleys.  Herman either owned it or worked there and the hamburgers and cherry cokes were the best I have ever had. It was on Old Kings Road right beside the Southern shops in Grand Crossing.

Noone

« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Just as tragic as what has been lost is what is being designed now!!! Many comments have been made on this site regarding KBJ, the courthouse, renovations of historic buildings that don't fit with the urban fabric (Haverty's), etc.

When I think about this, I get so angry about the GOB network in Jacksonville that keeps the assignment of important projects/contracts going to the same designers over and over again. I am particularly disgusted by Daniel Davis' effort to work into the City bid process an over-weighting of the "proximity to Jacksonville" element of the bid.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Jacksonville wants to keep work local when it can, but I believe the more important weighting, most of it, should go to TALENT. I'm not saying there isn't talent in this market - far from it. All I'm saying is Mr. Davis, and Jacksonville, are on a course to enable the languishment of our local talent through gifting assignments, rather than helping it to grow in a competitive environment.

If there were a threat of greater or deeper talent pools from elsewhere getting Jacksonville assignments, maybe Jacksonville firms/contractors would do more to ensure they can attract, and continue training, their local assets.

In this type of market-based environment, all boats have to RISE to remain competitive. Instead, in Jacksonville, it's protect our own to its detriment and mediocrity. Shame on Daniel Davis and the GOB network that still reigns here.

+1

Timkin

« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
Couldn't tell you about my thoughts on any of the book. Mine have so far not arrived.  I'm sure it will be great though.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »
All the pre-orders are in the hands of the USPS and should be arriving to their destination by Saturday.  Timkin, check your PM.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Timkin

« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
Thx, Lake.