Friday, July 25, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville  (Read 13707 times)

danno

Re: Lost Jacksonville
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »
Wan't the Krystal at Forsyth and Ocean where the Sub place is now?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »
i remember seeing all of them Downtown, most of them closed by the mid 1980s (I am not that old). They were all in storefronts, except for the Wendy's. Popeyes was on Adams St, you can see whats left of their original sign. It changes names every few years. Correct, the old Krystals is now a sub-place, used to be Larry's Subs....hard to believe a Larry's or Firehouse can't make it Downtown.

fieldafm

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »
Oh, yeah ok I remember the Krystals there now! 

danno

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »
My dad used to tell us the ol'

"Went to the Florida Theater for a triple feature on a Saturday, had Krystals and a Coke with change left over for the bus fare home"

fieldafm

« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
The Wendys was at Duval and Main, Popeyes was on Adams at Hogan, BK was at Forsyth and Pearl, Krystals was at Ocean and Forsyth! talk about missing the those places now, makes me hungry!

That's insane.  What was the timeline for all of those things leaving?  I remember Firehouse and BK, but none of the others.  Wow, people used to be able to grab quick food after 5 downtown.  Not Anymore.

Another place that didnt work out downtown before it even started was Moon River Pizza.  Was supposed to be next to where Chew is now.  Danny B wound up opening in Murray Hill instead.  Turned out to be a great move by them, but another what if...

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »
The Loop was also supposed to open a block away in the Lerner Shops building (across the street from the Carling).  That died when the building's construction plans were indefinitely delayed.

Overstreet

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
I was working downtown when Wendy's closed. It was the quality of the service that closed Wendy's.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2010, 08:32:22 AM »
I was working downtown when Wendy's closed. It was the quality of the service that closed Wendy's.

Towards the end it was horrible, overstreet.  Very rude and unclean in that place.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

fieldafm

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2010, 09:34:59 AM »
The Loop was also supposed to open a block away in the Lerner Shops building (across the street from the Carling).  That died when the building's construction plans were indefinitely delayed.

Good call, forgot about the Loop.

Although, Chicago Pizza at the Landing has been a great addition to the core imo.  Good deep dish pizza(half off with coupon M-Thur, good queso dip, Bold City on tap and GREAT outdoor seating with a beautiful view!

fieldafm

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »

Towards the end it was horrible, overstreet.  Very rude and unclean in that place.

I think it was me taking advantage of the Super Bar.  My dad and I destroyed some AUCE tacos for $4  :)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »

I think it was me taking advantage of the Super Bar.  My dad and I destroyed some AUCE tacos for $4  :)

When they still had the super bar it was awesome, field.  It was a gathering place for all the douglas anderson kids as a matter of fact.  They cancelled the bar and then it just went to hell in a handbasket.  I think they had special problems with their drive thru, and if I remember there was some sort of gunplay between the drive thru person and the front counter cashier that ended in tragedy.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

fieldafm

« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
some sort of gunplay between the drive thru person and the front counter cashier that ended in tragedy.

Unfortunately, that seems to be a problem in Wendys throughout Jacksonville.  :-[

Case in point, the now closed Wendys on St Johns Bluff.

stjr

« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
Mugs, Iaeysu (sp?), Morrisons, and a Southern-style restaurant on the second floor of the Schultz Building (name escapes me at the moment) were other early 80's hangouts as was Three Brothers on the third floor of Iveys department store (now, JEA).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:18:44 PM by stjr »
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Charles Hunter

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
... and the Jean Ribault restuarant on the 2nd floor of Sears ...

stjr

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2010, 06:34:11 PM »
... and the Jean Ribault restuarant on the 2nd floor of Sears ...

...with a large wall mural by artist Lee Adams depicting his landing.  (However, I believe this restaurant closed, at the latest, in the 70's as the Sears store was already closed by or before about 1980.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!