Follow Us

Thursday, April 17, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville  (Read 12087 times)

nonamegrl

Re: Lost Jacksonville
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2009, 10:00:04 AM »
Just so everyone knows... the mayor is threatening to get rid of ALL of the city's efforts for historic preservation if the tax increase isn't approved...

this could rid the city of landmarks, historic districts and a loss of anything and everything else that's left of Jacksonville's hey day.

nagrom73

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »
I could be mistaken, but the picture of the Mason lodge you have appears to be the Mason Lodge at the NW corner of Broad and Duval, built in 1913, which is still standing. Did the original get moved? Were there two?

Timkin

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2010, 02:24:47 AM »
It is just heartbreaking to look at all of the beauty that once stood and was mindlessly razed... City Hall for the Haydon Burns Library??  Forgive me if I cannot appreciate the "Fin Wonder"  but this building was just incredible.  I know not only Jacksonville , but practically no other large city would have saved all of these, but had we saved even 20 % of them,  We would sure have a much better look into our past, coupled with modern.  Now all we have are pictures and memories. I guess that is good.. but it just makes me sick that decisions to raze these incredible structures to replace them with Glass /Concrete structures that have no particular style is just sad....do not know any other way to put it. 

We cannot afford to demolish any more of our past, folks.

SightseerLounge

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »
Wasn't there a Wendy's Downtown? Talk about lost Jacksonville!!!!!

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »
It is just heartbreaking to look at all of the beauty that once stood and was mindlessly razed... City Hall for the Haydon Burns Library??  Forgive me if I cannot appreciate the "Fin Wonder"  but this building was just incredible.  I know not only Jacksonville , but practically no other large city would have saved all of these, but had we saved even 20 % of them,  We would sure have a much better look into our past, coupled with modern.  Now all we have are pictures and memories. I guess that is good.. but it just makes me sick that decisions to raze these incredible structures to replace them with Glass /Concrete structures that have no particular style is just sad....do not know any other way to put it. 

We cannot afford to demolish any more of our past, folks.

The real killer in the loss of City Hall is the destruction of its four "lunettes" representing the destruction of the Great Fire and the city's subsequent reconstruction and growth.  There are great pictures of these at the front of Bob Broward's "Architecture of Henry John Klutho," but it's very sad that these only survive in photos.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Charles Hunter

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »

Yes, it was on Main, think it was replaced by the new library.

fieldafm

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »

Yes, it was on Main, think it was replaced by the new library.

It was actually replaced by the Police and Fire building.  When that particular building opened up, there was a Firehouse Subs on the street level at that same corner, but that has since closed as well.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »
The Wendys was at Duval and Main, Popeyes was on Adams at Hogan, BK was at Forsyth and Pearl, Krystals was at Ocean and Forsyth! talk about missing the those places now, makes me hungry!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2010, 09:46:57 AM »
The Wendys was at Duval and Main, Popeyes was on Adams at Hogan, BK was at Forsyth and Pearl, Krystals was at Ocean and Forsyth! talk about missing the those places now, makes me hungry!

That's insane.  What was the timeline for all of those things leaving?  I remember Firehouse and BK, but none of the others.  Wow, people used to be able to grab quick food after 5 downtown.  Not Anymore.

stjr

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 12:43:16 PM »
The Wendy's did a booming business in the late 70's and early 80's, for sure.  It was a "new building" built on a corner lot wedged into older existing buildings on the two non-street sides.  It had a narrow drive-through in which, as I recall, you entered from Duval, and exited on Main.  Making that 90 degree turn at the corner tucked in between the buildings definitely required your full attention!
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »

Free-standing locations or storefronts?
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

subro

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2010, 01:05:27 PM »

There was a Firehouse subs storefront downtown that closed as well.

fieldafm

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
The Wendys was at the corner next to the old Rhodes Furniture/Army-Navy Surplus Building(always stopped to eat at the Super Bar whenever we would go to the Hayden Burns Library).  The Burger King was inside the Greyhound station.  I don't recall the Krystals.  When did that close?

Larry's leaving downtown was a very sad day!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:14:42 PM by fieldafm »

Timkin

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2010, 02:27:06 PM »
Just so everyone knows... the mayor is threatening to get rid of ALL of the city's efforts for historic preservation if the tax increase isn't approved...

this could rid the city of landmarks, historic districts and a loss of anything and everything else that's left of Jacksonville's hey day.

This would coincide with the long running mentality of Jacksonville Government.  We need to get of of the Mayor.

jbroadglide

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2010, 02:35:59 PM »

Do you have something to back that statement up? I keep a pretty close eye on the news and theer has been nothing mentioned that I have seen.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus (Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon)