Thursday, October 30, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Macy's Closing stores  (Read 6965 times)

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Macy's Closing stores
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:45:17 AM »

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
Re: Macy's Closing stores
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:47:40 AM »
Well there goes my shot at wishing Macy's would open a store around here.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

Joe

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »
I wouldn't give up hope. Jax is still the largest market in the country without a Macys. It still makes sense for them to expand here eventually.

The only Florida closing is in West Palm beach, because they have two Macys [/b] within a few miles of eachother!! In fact, it's a really good thing. They are closing down the Macys in the suburban Palm Beach Mall, and keeping open the urban Macys in the fantastic CityPlace downtown development.

Traveller

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »
Looks like Joe posted this while I was typing, but the store closing in Florida is indeed the one at the Palm Beach Mall in West Palm Beach.  That entire mall is dying.  Dillard's closed its store at that mall a year ago.  Macy's has another location at the nearby Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens that is doing quite well.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:57:48 AM »
Most Macy's stores are dumpy, so I really could care less if jax gets one or not. I have been in several Macy's stores all over the country from LA to south FL and they do nothing for me.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:08:35 AM »
Just wait to the Dillard's closing list is announced.  It will have a stronger impact than the Macy's situation.

copperfiend

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »
I have been to newer Macy's in Atlanta and Orlando and they were nice. Considering that the Regency Dillards has already been converted to an outlet, I don't see any Jax Dillard's in danger.

British Shoe Company

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 12:05:03 PM »
Macy's is going to be opening new stores after it closes non profitable ones.  Maybe at the St. Johns Town Center, or Esplanade at St. Johns will be the mall that brings Macy's to the Jacksonville area.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:09:28 PM by British Shoe Company »

reednavy

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 12:21:44 PM »
You just don't get it that the Esplanade is dead, or at most, will not be built as what was proposed.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 12:32:58 PM »
I would like to know if there is a visisble distinction between the Macy's locations that originally belonged to the department store chain and those that once belonged to regional chains that were taken over by Macy's.  I remember that, when the Avenues Mall opened, people remarked on the difference between the Avenues Dillards and the exisiting locations that it had taken over from Ivey's.  My point is this, do department stores operate at a disadvantage when they purchase other stores' properties and have to more or less adapt these locations to their own way of doing business?
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

braeburn

• Sinful Gadgets
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 03:50:29 PM »
It would make sense to close the Macy's at the PB gardens mall... there's one at City Place - which happens to be......... (drum roll)

In DOWNTOWN West Palm Beach!!!  ;D

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »
I would like to know if there is a visisble distinction between the Macy's locations that originally belonged to the department store chain and those that once belonged to regional chains that were taken over by Macy's.  I remember that, when the Avenues Mall opened, people remarked on the difference between the Avenues Dillards and the exisiting locations that it had taken over from Ivey's.  My point is this, do department stores operate at a disadvantage when they purchase other stores' properties and have to more or less adapt these locations to their own way of doing business?

Definitely - Macy's cheapened their brand with acquisitions.  Macy's in New York (not just the flagship on 34th Street) is considered a high end store.  Not as much down here

British Shoe Company

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »
You just don't get it that the Esplanade is dead, or at most, will not be built as what was proposed.

British Shoe Company

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »
CITIPLACE,  AND ESPLANADE AT ST. JOHNS ARE ON THE SAME PIECE OF LAND.  REEDNAVY YOU ARE SO SURE IT'S DEAD. THE PLANS HAVE CHANGED BECAUSE OF WALLY DEVLIN JR.,  THE TREE OF LIFE PARCEL, THE ECONOMY, AND STRAND VS ESCAMBIA COUNTY, WHICH MADE THE SUPREME COURT RULE "TIF'S" MUST HAVE VOTERS OK, AND COMMISSIONERS DID NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO ISSUE "TIF'S".   HAVE YOU EVER BEEN WRONG?  DO YOU KNOW WHO OWNS THE PROPERTY, AND WHO IS BUYING IT, AND DEVELOPING IT?  ARE YOU YOU JUST PONTIFICATING WITHOUT A CLUE ABOUT THE PROJECT?  BY THE WAY THE SUPREME COURT REVERSED THE DECISION, AND THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS CAN ISSUE "TIF'S" NOW!  TRY PANDA EXPRESS, AND QUIT ACTING LIKE YOU KNOW EVERYTHING!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:07:53 PM by British Shoe Company »

reednavy

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 06:04:28 PM »
Nice yelling in all caps.

The mall is not going to happen, apparently you don't understand that the area does not have enough residences and demand in that blank area in rural St. Johns County.

All you've presented is a website with several outdated, cancelled, on hold, or completely redesigned projects, and that is it. The Esplanade was proposed many, many years ago, and others on here as well have said it is dead, but you're coming at me all crazy and stuff without providing any true evidence of this going forward.

I posted a link about The St. James hotel and condo tower that was proposed in 2005, and the site is still up, but has clearly not been updated in over 3 years.

Also, you expect Ben Carter to move this forward when his golden egg, Streets of Buckhead, is being delayed for the 3rd time, losing commitments from retailers, and has had to drop hotel and residential components just to make it work right now. Construction there will restart, at the earliest, in January, but is not guaranteed.

You've also said a "little bird" has told you Macy's is on board witht he Esplanade, well, where is the progress, announcements, anything? I could say a little bird told me that Nordstroms has committed to SJTC, and people would question it immediately.

Without a single piece of evidence that this is moving forward, I will continue to call this dead until proven otherwise.

Lastly, I've tried a Panda Express in Morrow, Georgia. It is fast food Chinese, and subpar at that. I never said I know everything, but you sure do like coming at people all stupid and typing in all caps.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:06:10 PM by reednavy »
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!