Author Topic: Jacksonville Identity Moving Forward  (Read 1015 times)

FlaBoy

Jacksonville Identity Moving Forward
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/bold-beautiful-and-worth-preserving-lets-tell-jacksonvilles-stories

Let’s embrace our history. Let’s preserve our history. Let’s present our history. Our experiences are what authentically define us and inspire us for a better tomorrow.

Tacachale

Re: Jacksonville Identity Moving Forward
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
Nice editorial. One of the most encouraging things to me in the last several years is the level that people are actually interested in the city's history. It's a big change from the past when the general attitude was that our history and identity wasn't important enough to celebrate.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
Nice editorial. One of the most encouraging things to me in the last several years is the level that people are actually interested in the city's history. It's a big change from the past when the general attitude was that our history and identity wasn't important enough to celebrate.

Agreed.  Having been to enough "big" cities and done the usual tourist thing of climbing on a tour bus and letting them tell me their history (NYC, SF, even Savannah), you quickly come to realize that there's a million things you DON'T know about that town and some of these tidbits make you want to jump off the bus and discover more about it, because it's of interest to you personally.  I'd love to see something like that in Jacksonville, because I know almost nothing about this town, even though I now live here.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 01:09:48 AM »
I get very interested in the history of the places I live. And I've only been in Jax a little over a year and I absolutely love it here. :) And I'm thankful for this site because it's helped me learn more about the local history here. And y'all are pretty nice and friendly in the community both online and off

marcuscnelson

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 02:24:46 AM »
Agreed.  Having been to enough "big" cities and done the usual tourist thing of climbing on a tour bus and letting them tell me their history (NYC, SF, even Savannah), you quickly come to realize that there's a million things you DON'T know about that town and some of these tidbits make you want to jump off the bus and discover more about it, because it's of interest to you personally.  I'd love to see something like that in Jacksonville, because I know almost nothing about this town, even though I now live here.

I'd be into that too, but the problem with something like that is that Jacksonville isn't much of a tourist city right now. You see those kinds of tours in places where a lot of people are going to be vacationing.

It'd be nice to see things like JaxAqua get off the ground, and OneSpark getting back into gear along some other stuff first. Then it's more likely that a tour bus program will succeed in this city.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 06:30:36 AM »
Gary Sass gives great tours. Definitely better than your typical hop on hop off tour bus: www.adlibtours.com
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:43:35 PM »
Gary Sass gives great tours. Definitely better than your typical hop on hop off tour bus: www.adlibtours.com

Very cool!

CG7

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
The Jacksonville top to bottom tours are awesome, I just wish the tours were easier to find for the casual visitor (without having to schedule the tour ahead of time.)

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
Anybody know Nick? There's a guy named Nick that has a mini-carriage/taxilike thing on the back of his bike. He said he does tours of the St.John River area and he also goes to events to pick up small parties like a taxi. He was a very nice friendly guy when I met him last winter. And the seats were very fuzzy and comfy. Colorful,too, even in the dark. But I lost his # as it was in my old phone. Is he still in business? Anybody know Nick?