Author Topic: Southside Construction Update - Fall 2017  (Read 2336 times)

jaxnyc79

Re: Southside Construction Update - Fall 2017
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »
FYI: using that Google Earth tool, Berlin, Paris, Rome, etc...all fit inside that 12 miles radius for the most part.   Rome could fit inside a 7 mile radius.  12 miles away from a city center is pretty far for most cities aside from Sao Paulo, Tokyo, London and other mega-cities.

Where is Jax’s core?  Tapestry Park? 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »
I know you're joking but the core is basically the pre-consolidated city that was built to be walkable. It includes everything from Riverside, Murray Hill and Lackawanna to Downtown, Durkeeville, Springfield, Eastside and Brentwood. Basically the area labeled as #1 in the map below:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxnyc79

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
I know you're joking but the core is basically the pre-consolidated city that was built to be walkable. It includes everything from Riverside, Murray Hill and Lackawanna to Downtown, Durkeeville, Springfield, Eastside and Brentwood. Basically the area labeled as #1 in the map below:

Yes, I was joking, but I like the map.  One could argue that the core has been a moving target in Jax.  Perhaps, in the continuous evolution of the city’s existence, the core needs to shift closer to the region’s most compelling natural asset: the Beach.  A core at a bend in the river made sense once upon a time, but maybe makes sense no longer.  If the regionally accepted core is now somewhere else, then should the city do more to create a cultural asset out of the area around Gate Parkway and Butler Blvd?  Maybe new zoning and design standards?  Ones that better balance pedestrian accessibility, placemaking, and the overall requirements of mobility?  Maybe City Hall #2?  Just food for thought.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:12:52 AM by jaxnyc79 »

jaxnyc79

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »

Yes, I was joking, but I like the map.  One could argue that the core has been a moving target in Jax.  Perhaps, in the continuous evolution of the city’s existence, the core needs to shift closer to the region’s most compelling natural asset: the Beach.  A core at a bend in the river made sense once upon a time, but maybe makes sense no longer.  If the regionally accepted core is now somewhere else, then should the city do more to create a cultural asset out of the area around Gate Parkway and Butler Blvd?  Maybe new zoning and design standards?  Ones that better balance pedestrian accessibility, placemaking, and the overall requirements of mobility?  Maybe City Hall #2?  If City Council meetings were also held on a rotating basis in various other parts of the city that were easier to get to and easier for parking, I bet you’d see a spike in civic engagement...but maybe that’s not a good thing?  Just food for thought.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
Yes, I was joking, but I like the map.  One could argue that the core has been a moving target in Jax.  Perhaps, in the continuous evolution of the city’s existence, the core needs to shift closer to the region’s most compelling natural asset: the Beach.  A core at a bend in the river made sense once upon a time, but maybe makes sense no longer.  If the regionally accepted core is now somewhere else, then should the city do more to create a cultural asset out of the area around Gate Parkway and Butler Blvd?  Maybe new zoning and design standards?  Ones that better balance pedestrian accessibility, placemaking, and the overall requirements of mobility?  Maybe City Hall #2?  Just food for thought.

I kind of agree. No, I don't think there's a need for a second "core" but I do agree that better zoning and design is necessary across the board and in particular dense focus points like the beaches and the St Johns TOWN CENTER area. iirc the original plans for the town center were actually pretty decent, and I've seen and visited many similar developments that actually held much closer to new urbanist/walkable designs and they are far more vibrant/walkable/livable. It's really a shame...

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »
The historical core is still a core in how it serves the region economically.  It's still NE Florida's premier business, logistics and industrial hub and densest section. With that said, our "one size fits all" overall zoning code should have been overhauled years ago. There are certain areas in the core and in the burbs, that should be more mixed-use and pedestrian scale than currently allowed.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
I can't really recall a city our size in modern history relocating its core.  Now if Jax were not consolidated, Town Center/South Point/Deerwood would be considered at best similar to Phoenix and Tempe/Mesa/Scottsdale but even that is pushing it...a lot.

Cores don't really shift all that much.  They may grow outward a little but it's practically unheard of that it move altogether.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:08:31 AM by Jim »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »
Town Center may be the retail core but that's about it. Logistically and from a land use perspective,  it's a suburb and will pretty much always be.