Author Topic: Tips for working downtown?  (Read 2357 times)

KenFSU

Tips for working downtown?
« on: October 19, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
Guys,

After years of working in Deerwood Park and in the Mayo Clinic area, I accepted a new position this week right in the middle of the CBD.

Parking won't be an issue, but any general tips for working downtown?

Favorite lunch spots? Times to be on and off the roads to avoid peak traffic? Good public wifi spots?

Thanks!
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Tacachale

Re: Tips for working downtown?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
^Awesome news!
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

carpnter

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:55:35 PM »
There are food trucks every day at the parking garage on Hogan and Bay.  Different trucks every day, I particularly like Eddis and Sons, their Phillys are very good.  You can follow The Court Urban Food Park on Facebook and they will list each days trucks in the morning and usually on Sunday they will list everything for the week.
The Happy Grilled Cheese has a B&M place on Hogan St near Monroe St.
For wings I recommend Big Pete's at Julia between Forsyth and Adams.
In the BB&T building JL Trent's sells seafood you need to enter on Hogan @ Bay St.
You have a Burrito Gallery on Adams between Main and Ocean.
Zodiac Bar & Grill is a good place to, I like their burgers.

I eat out once or maybe twice a week so I am sure there are other places that people can recommend that I either haven't been to or have forgotten.

Are you crossing one of the bridges coming into town and where, approximately, are you parking? 

downtownbrown

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
Olio is outstanding for lunch.  The have a duck confit BLT that will change your life.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »
Congrats on your new position, Ken!  :)

KenFSU

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Are you crossing one of the bridges coming into town and where, approximately, are you parking? 

I live around Hodges and Beach, not quite sure what my route is going to be yet. Any suggestions?

My new gig is with Dalton Agency, I believe they have parking about a block away.

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!

carpnter

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 12:31:04 PM »
I'd say come across the Hart Bridge and depending on where your parking is you can either head to Duval or Forsyth

KenFSU

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »
^Thanks! Much appreciated.

blfair

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
Try Cafe Nola for a nice lunch one day, Magnificat cafe is steps away. You'll also be right by Zodiac Bar & Grill which has a good mediterranean lunch buffet. Burrito gallery is a couple of blocks away. I'll second Olio & plug the bacon cheese fries if you're up for blowing your diet one day.

Find a reason to do business with some of the small places downtown... Terry and Vikki at the UPS store... Chamblin uptown. If people who worked downtown didn't stop into these places they wouldn't exist.

KenFSU

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 09:53:06 PM »
^Appreciate it! I'll check em out!

Really looking forward to the new FSCJ cafe as well.

jaxlore

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 01:48:35 PM »
Congrats. Walk by the Dalton agency at least twice a day. Lots of good food in a few block radius. Ones that folks haven't mentioned are Bell Weather, Sushi Burrito, Natures Table, Coniferous Cafe, Urban Grind, Indochine, Tossgreen...you wont go hungry thats for sure, broke maybe.

Live_Oak

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »
Am I the only one that likes De Real Ting? Great buffet and cheap lunch specials. Also, the enterprise center cafe on the 10th floor of the Enterprise Center has good hot lunch specials.

carpnter

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:54:07 PM »
Am I the only one that likes De Real Ting? Great buffet and cheap lunch specials. Also, the enterprise center cafe on the 10th floor of the Enterprise Center has good hot lunch specials.

I typically grab food and take it back to the office so I haven't tried De Real Ting yet.