Author Topic: Ikea sets opening date. How exciting.  (Read 2840 times)

Jim

• MetJax
Re: Ikea sets opening date. How exciting.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »
They'll do fine. It's a pretty small store in comparison to the rest of them across the state and in Atlanta. 
It is for now but doesn't it have a design option for expansion?  I can't find the information now but I know I've read it somewhere.

cline

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
Lol definitely not worth lining up days in advance of the doors opening.  However,  places like Macy's and IKEA are long desired toys for many here. Some view them as a "we arrived" status symbol. With that said, if you have little kids and want an hour of free time, they are good for free baby sitting.

I view going to Ikea like going to a Walmart without the bargains, and where the line starts the second you walk in the door. Last time I was in Tampa I tried to resist it, but got outvoted by the three ladies I was with, and ended up spending a good chunk of my morning perusing particle board furniture with stupid names. At least in Tampa there's a good brewery right across the street; ours won't even have that.

But it's definitely a status symbol, and it'll be nice not to have to go to Orlando or Tampa when we do need some affordable Swedish crap.

To be fair, there is a cigar bar across the street that has beer.

Tacachale

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
Tacachale, Open up your own store and see who comes to buy your crap.  Or maybe you already did?

The Swedish crap is better than the Chinese crap the rest of the USA buys.

LOL, people sure do get defensive about their big box chains! For the record, "Affordable Swedish crap" is a Futurama reference, you pitiful Earthlings.

I own a number of things from Ikea, from a crappy desk that broke and can't be fixed, to some perfectly serviceable plates. I'm glad the store is coming here, if only so there's one less reason for me to have to go to Orlando. But come on, it's a retail store.

Lol definitely not worth lining up days in advance of the doors opening.  However,  places like Macy's and IKEA are long desired toys for many here. Some view them as a "we arrived" status symbol. With that said, if you have little kids and want an hour of free time, they are good for free baby sitting.

I view going to Ikea like going to a Walmart without the bargains, and where the line starts the second you walk in the door. Last time I was in Tampa I tried to resist it, but got outvoted by the three ladies I was with, and ended up spending a good chunk of my morning perusing particle board furniture with stupid names. At least in Tampa there's a good brewery right across the street; ours won't even have that.

But it's definitely a status symbol, and it'll be nice not to have to go to Orlando or Tampa when we do need some affordable Swedish crap.

To be fair, there is a cigar bar across the street that has beer.

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

DeathByPensions

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 06:18:13 PM »
Despite the cynicism of big box haters, this is great for Jacksonville. A few hundred jobs, a destination that will pull in commerce from a 100 mile radius, and a huge selection of good value furniture for the cost. Not sure what there is to complain about.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:09 AM »
I was out of town for the big grand opening (damn) but evidently people really did start camping beginning Monday (for Wed opening) so they could get free crap. Ikea makes a big deal out of their openings, encourages the sheeple to come out early  and gets ridiculous publicity for little cost. I love it. Ikea just went up a notch in my book.

I would like to see a comparison of how much time those clowns spent waiting in that Ikea line vs how much time they have spent on  just basic financial planning during their entire lives. I would bet Ikea line and its not even close.

MusicMan

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »
Matt, you should spend more time at WalMart, too............................................

I drove down yesterday 'cause I'm an IKEA customer and they had so many cars they were using remote parking and shuttling folks in.

I left.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
I was out of town for the big grand opening (damn) but evidently people really did start camping beginning Monday (for Wed opening) so they could get free crap. Ikea makes a big deal out of their openings, encourages the sheeple to come out early  and gets ridiculous publicity for little cost. I love it. Ikea just went up a notch in my book.

I would like to see a comparison of how much time those clowns spent waiting in that Ikea line vs how much time they have spent on  just basic financial planning during their entire lives. I would bet Ikea line and its not even close.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »
Matt, you should spend more time at WalMart, too............................................

I drove down yesterday 'cause I'm an IKEA customer and they had so many cars they were using remote parking and shuttling folks in.

I left.

Funny you should mention that.I have a Walmart just a few miles away and it is so "cheap"and convenient, I am there at least once a year. But I was there recently before our road trip and in line in front of me is a huge couple ( no, not muscular) with an over flowing cart of the worst possible crap you could be buying for a nutritional and financial decision. Behind me is a mere chubby single guy buying a pile of a variety of individual serving size chips and assorted crap. I couldn't get out of there fast enough or my head was going to explode.

But back to Ikea, I love that they have to shuttle in the masses. I think they needed some kind of huge temporary parking lot for the first few weeks.

I love the smell of capitalism in the morning.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:55 AM »

Oh, now that would need its own thread and I should stick to Ikea.

But I adore them.

MusicMan

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »
"Funny you should mention that.I have a Walmart just a few miles away and it is so "cheap"and convenient, I am there at least once a year. But I was there recently before our road trip and in line in front of me is a huge couple ( no, not muscular) with an over flowing cart of the worst possible crap you could be buying for a nutritional and financial decision. Behind me is a mere chubby single guy buying a pile of a variety of individual serving size chips and assorted crap."

You just described (at least) 50% of the US population..............